PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here play with USB DMX control?

wratterus
24-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone here dabbles with this...not something I've done before, but am keen to get into it a bit more.

Looking at something like this (http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&prod=70304&show=description)to start out with, and then some (hopefully) free software. (http://www.nsystems.co/#!home/mainPage)

Thanks.

Edit - Wrong forum sorry, mods - feel free to move if you'd like. :)

The Error Guy
24-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Used them from time to time, very handy if you change set sizes often since it can easily scale up to the 400 or so DMX channels supported (might be more now, can't remember) or just use 2x, much better than lugging around a $8k board for a small show or battling with not having enough channels on larger events. It also makes it much easier to pre programme shows although doing things on the fly can be iffy unless you have a "board emulator" or something similar, not sure what they are called, basically they are a hardware interface for the DMX software allowing a bit of manual control like on a normal DMX lighting desk. Usually they come with about 24 channels a few parks etc, sort of thing you'd find on the mid range theatrelight systems but you get all the power from the software side.

Nothing wrong with just using software but you can only adjust one thing at a time with the mouse (or assign keys on the KB to do it but it's generally too hard to get the right ones and you don't have much speed control) I have seen some android DMX apps around the allow you to have a virtual DMX on the screen, since the surface from M$ has a USB port i'd be very keen to see a feature laden DMX show up on it since the android ones are a tad limited and not very quick (since they operate over the network and get a bit glitchy) but having direct and native access to the DMX should be cool.

All in all very good devices although having some hardware is advised unless you want to do an entirely pre programmed event with no surprises. Also good if you want a cheap entry into the lighting scene. Good desks cost a packet.

wratterus
25-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks. :)