PDA

View Full Version : Zenbu net problems

cowboy stu
24-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi

My parents took an xp laptop away to a resort which sells access to the zenbu network.
They are with Clearnet but to get emails to send they had to change outgoing mail server to smtp.xtra.co.nz. ( short story ).
The resort has an xtra contract. The laptop worked fine send/rec thru clear previously.
Does this sound normal ? If so why would this information not be available to save people tons of frustration ??
Or are we missing something?
Thanks in anticipation
Stu

CYaBro
24-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Setup a gmail account and use the gmail mail server settings then you won't ever have to worry about these issues again. :D
You can get the gmail account to download the emails from the clearnet account so you don't have to change email addresses.

Alex B
24-10-2012, 04:21 PM
The joys of using ISP's mail. Basicly if you're with clear you can send mail from a clear connection, if you're with telecom you can send mail from a telecom connection. When they are away they should use clears webmail option if they have it. It's a spam prevention thing.

cowboy stu
24-10-2012, 06:20 PM
thanks. I'm sure I have used such nets before and not had a problem ... live and learn.
Its was strange that receiving was ok but not able to send... consistent ?

MushHead
24-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Receiving & not sending is completely normal. The ISPs just don't want any random computer on any internet connection to be able to send email via their server. Mind you, Clear could support authenticated SMTP and solve the problem, but they don't seem to have seen fit to do this ever (I've been with them for years).

If you register your clear.net address with Gmail, you can receive as per normal & send your clear.net mail via Gmail's authenticating server. I've been doing that for years.

cowboy stu
24-10-2012, 09:10 PM
thanks Mush will look at that in the future

fred_fish
24-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Mind you, Clear could support authenticated SMTP and solve the problem, but they don't seem to have seen fit to do this ever (I've been with them for years).
They do now ... but only on port 25 :groan: ... so blocked from Xtra address space and lots of others.

me@here:~$ telnet smtp.clear.net.nz 25
Trying 203.97.33.211...
Connected to smtp.clear.net.nz.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtpin3.clear.net.nz ESMTP
ehlo me
250-smtpin3.clear.net.nz
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 31457280
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250 AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
quit