PDA

View Full Version : USB memory sticks

Tbird650
24-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi,
I'm looking to buy another USB stick. This will be my 5th. I find it very convenient to have one on my key chain though they can get rather knocked around in the pocket. Perhaps this is why one didn't even last a year. My current one occasionally insists on being scanned so I'm thinking it's becoming a bit flaky.

Is there any which have been shown to be rugged?
Is 2- 3 years lifespan the norm or am just rough with them?
Is USB3.0 worth the upgrade? I hear reports these are fast.

This Blaze USB (http://www.laptopbattery.co.nz/Flash_Memory/USB_Pen_Drives/USB3_16GB_BLAZE_Memory_Stick_-_70MB-sec-LBN42066.htm) caught my eye. I can land a pair for $46.85
Any observations. Thanks.

wainuitech
24-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I've got a couple of 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager USB drives.

These ones (http://www.corsair.com/en/usb-drive/flash-voyager-usb-drives.html)

They are roughly 4 (at least) years old and have gone through hell and back several times. They are just about unbreakable. They have a rubber casing that DOES make them bounce quite well. I know I've done it many times when running and they have flown out my pocket, gone bouncing down the footpath, pick them up and carry on, still work fine.

Chilling_Silence
24-10-2012, 04:37 PM
I can vouch for one that PC World gave me a few years back, the Ducati Extreme.
This thing is solid as a rock (Like you could honestly swing it around and use it as a weapon if you were so inclined), has been through the wash a number of times and is still going strong!

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7658/

They're also quite fast as far as thumbdrive speeds go.

If yours is popping up telling you it needs scanning, do you safely remove the thumbdrive when you eject it? As it's quite possible something is on your PC reading / writing to it when you yank it out.

Jen
24-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I can vouch for one that PC World gave me a few years back, the Ducati Extreme.

They're also quite fast as far as thumbdrive speeds go.
Yeah, mine is still in one piece and it gets a hard life in the bottom of my handbag. Still beats the pants off any other USB memory stick I use for speed.

Will you be generally using the stick on USB-3 capable PCs? No point spending the extra dosh otherwise.

Winston001
24-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I like portability by keeping one on my keyring. I hate caps which disappear. So...my USB drive of choice is an 8MB Transonic from the Warehouse. Hasn't failed me yet - not that I use it much but its always with me. Fits on the keyring (once I'd enlarged the hole) and folds inside to protect the business end.

And did I mention cheap? :D $10 on sale recently.

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Transonic-8GB-Silver-USB-Flash-Drive?SKU=1344546

Tbird650
24-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Good points, thanks.
The Ducati has some appeal but I think the Corsair is for me.
I'm amazed at the difference in deals, especially via Ebay. For under NZ$20 I can get a 16GB Corsair Voyager USB2 from HongKong including shipping.
Is there a need to be wary of buying from HongKong via Ebay??

Slankydudl
24-10-2012, 11:47 PM
If you feel like spending money then try a LaCie rugged.

dugimodo
25-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I use a sandisk cruzer blade on my keyring, it's a bit slow but a good size and shape for the keyring and seems reliable enough. I hate bulky keys.
At home I also have a kingston data traveller ultimate 32GB USB 3.0 I got for transferring large files around which failed after about 3 months but was promptly replaced under warranty. It's a bit bulky and like I said has failed once, but I'm very impressed with the speed. I tried HD tach on it and it almost matched my old intel 320 series SSD.

I actually would still go for a USB 3 drive myself even for mostly USB 2 use. It's more future proof and a lot of the USB 2 flash drives, particularly the cheaper ones, are very slow, not even maxing out the USB 2 speed. My kingston is the fastest flash drive I've owned, even when plugged into a USB 2 port it totally blitzes the rest of my collection (which admittedly are cheapies bought mainly due to price)

Tbird650
25-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Dugimodo
Thanks for making the very good points.
I know what you mean about bulky keys. I had a Kingston blade once but that is history too. Looks like I should go with a bit bulky but rugged.
The USB3 notes are interesting. Elsewhere there's mention of USB3 keys outperforming USB2's in USB2 sockets.
Futureproofing is another factor to consider. Perhaps I was getting into the mindset that USB keys weren't going to last.
I don't have to rush...