PDA

View Full Version : Burnin Stress test

bk T
24-10-2012, 11:56 AM
MB: ASUS P8-Z68 V-Pro
CPU: i7 2600 3.4GHZ with stock heaksink cooling
RAM: 8 GB

Just performed a Max CPU heat burnin test with Passmark Burnin Test V7.0 and found that it has reached pretty high temp: 95 deg C.

Idle temperature < 40 deg C with hardware monitor and <30 deg C with AI-Suite II.

Checked the stock heatsink is seated properly and all the fans are clean and working OK. Got the CM CPU cooler Hyper 212 Plus but it could not be installed as the Case's MB tray (CoolerMaster Centurion 590 - old ver, inherited from previus system) has a very small opening below the CPU, which has no room for the back-plate and the tightening bolts. - bad design. Needs modification if I were to install this cooler.

Your views, and suggestions are appreciated.

bk T
24-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Update:

This PC is slightly over 1 year old and it has been running fine.

Do I need to remove the stock heatsink and re-apply thermal paste and reassemble it? Will this help to cool it down?

Cheers

Iantech
24-10-2012, 12:22 PM
download either Real Temp or Core Temp, while neither are totally acurate, it should give a better indication of your cpu temp. I would have thought you should be around 30 or a bit less at idle and no more than 60ish or maybe pushing 70 (max) under extreme load. 95 deg is pretty extreme (its Tcase is probably around the 72 deg. mark), so your heat sink and/or fan isnt doing much at all. Even for the stock one it should be doing better.

Also check you have good ventilation though your case to heat remove the heat. Does it have any case fans?

bk T
24-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I've 2 x 12cm (out) - one at real and one on top; 1 x 12cm (in) front.

Asus's AI-Suite is showing 27~30 when idle.

Ventilation of the case seems to be good - all cables are neal and tidy, dust-free (moe or less) :)

Iantech
24-10-2012, 12:37 PM
27-30 sounds pretty spot on and ventilation sounds good. Does the cpu fan increase in speed as the heat increases? I wouldnt have thought you should need to replace the paste being only a 1yr old. You're not over-clocking it by any chance?

bk T
24-10-2012, 12:45 PM
No OC, I only enabled the TPU switch (Turning this switch to Enable will automatically optimize the system for fast, yet stable clock speeds.- according to the MB's user manual)on the MB.

Didn't notice the increase in CPU speed.

bk T
24-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Update:

Just run the Test again and the CPU fan did increase in speed.

bk T
24-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Any other suggestions?

Slankydudl
24-10-2012, 04:08 PM
setp 1: Get dremel
step 2: Cut

wainuitech
24-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Stating the obvious :rolleyes: if you are running a stress test then of course the heat will increase and the fan if working correctly will increase in speed to try and cool better.

If you have removed the heatsink at any stage you should replace the paste each time. It creates a seal between the CPU and Heatsink. Not having a good seal will increase heat as the cooling is not working as it should.

Chilling_Silence
24-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I would reapply the thermal paste personally too.
On top of that, add a fan to increase air-flow and make sure ventilation is good. It's coming to summer and the ambient temperature will increase and only make things worse...

bk T
24-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Do I need to remove the MB when re-seating the stock heatsink assembly (after reapplying the thermal paste, of course), as pushing in the 4 pins requires a bit of force? Safe to do it without taking out the MB and put it in a flat surface?

wainuitech
24-10-2012, 09:47 PM
No need to remove the board.

Personally I always put in the Heat sink on after the motherboard is in the case. ( NEVER damaged one yet) Some cases are really tight and I've seen many times people damage a board if there's to much attached when trying to install.

After you have removed the Heat sink, make sure you turn the release tabs on the pins back to where they were ( 1/4 Turn clockwise - opposite to the way the arrow is pointing) other wise you wont get the locking pins to go back down.

When you turn the lugs back, you'll see the pins move back to the install position. Look at the bottom of the plastic ends, make sure they have closed up a little, if needed squeeze them back together with your fingers a bit. Once they align up in the holes, simply push down 1 at a time and the pins will go back down and lock in place.

bk T
24-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks, folks

dugimodo
25-10-2012, 07:57 AM
If you were to remove the motherboard you could probably put your hyper 212 on, I am fairly certain it will fit. Holes in the case to allow this are only a fairly recent innovation to make life easier, before that aftermarket coolers often required you to take the board out to fit them. I have the same cooler and it doesn't protrude through the hole, and in my case I can't get at all the screws properly either even with a large hole.

95 is worrisome though, what did you use to get the temperature? is it part of the burn in software or something else. Personally I use prime 95 and realtemp GT to stress test my CPU and it runs in the high 60's at full load (i5 3570K, OC to 4.1, hyper 212) I'd expect similar from an i7. It wouldn't surprise me if the TPU button you mention does in fact overclock your CPU, perhaps use CPU-Z while stress testing to see what the maximum clock speed is.

bk T
25-10-2012, 09:36 AM
No, this case is certainly not suitable for hyper 212 without any modification - the clearance betwenn the MB and the board tray (of the case) is too low (or shallow) to allow for the 4 nuts holding the backplate of the 212. I have another PC with this 212 installedl (CoolerMaster 690) which has an opening wide enough for this cooler. I've physically taken measurements of the clearance.

Anyway, I've just removed the stock heatsink assembly, cleaned up the stock-thermal paste, reapplied the thermal paste and put it back onto the MB. Turned ON the PC and noticed that the idle temp has dropped to 22 deg C, a significant improvement. Run the Burn-in Test again and this time the Max temp is below 70 deg C. Looks about right now. :)

Also, noticed that the original thermal paste of the stock heatsink has got only 3-strips of 2mm wide thermal paste on it - doesn't cover the whole contact surface of the heatsink! Probably this is the culprit?

I'm using the the Passmark's own Temperature reading, + Asus AI-Suite + PC Wizard 2010. They all showing quite the same readings, with Asus AI-suite having the lowest reading.

Iantech
25-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Sorry I never got back to you yesterday bk, got a call out and had to bail. Looks like you're on the right track now, 70 deg is much more acceptable :thumbs:

The 3 strips is standard, however with the preasure of the heatsink pulled down on it and the heat from the cpu, it is supposed to thin out and spread over (accross) the cpu surface. If it didnt do that, then I question if it was correctly pinned down?
Still you have solved the problem, thats the main thing.
Cheers

dugimodo
25-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Good that you've sorted it, unfortunate about the hyper 212.
Iantech has triggered my memory a bit, I've heard the stock paste needs to go over 60 Degrees during the first few weeks to properly thin and spread itself or it may never do it. Also the plastic push pins he mentions are indeed a common source of issues. I had an i7 920 that I discovered after a year of trouble free use had never had one of the pins correctly clicked in and was running about 20 degrees hotter than it needed to - only discovered on a whim when I decided to stress test it (which I now do when building bet never used to).

Sometimes the bottom part of the pin moves up into the shaft and prevents it from being installed correctly, easily fixed by pulling it back down but not at all obvious until you try to install it and it just wont "click"

bk T
25-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Thank you folks for the valuable views and suggestions.

You guys are just great!