PDA

View Full Version : Best Graphics card?

lostsoul62
24-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't know how many types of graphics cards there are but I understand that there are 2 basic ones which are ATI Radeon HD and NVIDIA GeForce GT or just Radeon and GeForce? My NVIDIA GeForce GT (1 gig RAM) will play Rage on my Intel E6550 and AMD955 but if I put in the ATI Radeon HD (1 gig RAM) on these computer Rage won't play. So I'm going to build a Game Computer and put in the right graphics card. Can anyone recommend a card for under $200?

Chilling_Silence
24-10-2012, 12:56 PM
It's nothing to do with how much RAM they have, but rather 100% about the model numbers. What are the model numbers of each of the respective cards?

My money says you're better off just formatting your system to get Rage to work.

Slankydudl
24-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Best gpu in my eyes is the 7970. And the amount of ram they have does matter. If a game needs 2gb and your gpu has 1gb then 1gb will go to regular ram which is substantually slower.

Iantech
24-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Can anyone recommend a card for under $200?

Best gpu in my eyes is the 7970. I'm not aware that you can get one of these under $200 - unless there are some on the black market.

lostsoul, I dont think you're going to get much of a gaming card for under $200. What is the error you are having with the ATI card?

inphinity
24-10-2012, 02:03 PM
So I'm going to build a Game Computer and put in the right graphics card. Can anyone recommend a card for under $200?

You're not really going to get a good gaming card for that price. Typically the GPU is the single most expensive component in most gaming machines. For your budget, look at entry-level gaming cards like AMD's 7750 and 7770, or nVidia's GeForce 650. You'll get playable performance in most current games, at 1920x1080, with reasonable settings - provided the rest of the PC is up to it. If you can stretch the budget out, the 7850, 7870, or 560Ti, 660Ti would be better performers. They'll give good performance in most games, with most settings turned up - again, provided the rest of the rig is up to it.

pctek
24-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Best gpu in my eyes is the 7970.

+1. :drool
Specifically HD7970x2

See GPU Rankings:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/01-3DMark11-C-Extreme,2933.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Under $200? You're wasting your time unless you buy last years card perhaps. Second hand.

dugimodo
24-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Rage should update through Steam unless of course it's not a proper retail copy, if that's the case buy the game - it's cheaper than a graphics card.
As far as I know the graphics issues have been resolved a while ago.

If you still want to build a game machine you may have to increase your budget.
Have a read of this article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html or if that's too much reading skip to the last page and refer to the chart then start pricing models that you think might interest you. Go as high up the chart as you can afford and always try to get the newer model numbers on a level.

Also because ATI cards are giving you problems maybe you should stick with Nvidia. Both make great cards but the AMD(ATI) cards are currently priced much better.

The bottom end of what I'd try to game on now would be a 7770 or a GTX 650, slower cards still work but spending money on one of them now is foolish in my opinion.

Slankydudl
24-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Ah... I did not see that, sorry.

icow
24-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Off topic: Anyone else see the Asus 7970 Matrix HD? Amazing card.

lostsoul62
25-10-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking about building a new PC for games but I can't see spending over $200 for a Graphics card since I'm not a serious gamer. My ATI Radeon HD 5770 does not do well with games on my computers but my NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 does so I'm wondering if it's NVIDIA vs. ATI or Radeon vs. GeForce GT. There are so many companies making the same models I can't figure out which is which.

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2012, 08:48 AM
The 5770 is a huge improvement over the 240!?!?!

Seriously just format your PC *with* the 5770 in again, and we're presuming you've purchased the game and it's legit, and that'll pretty much save you several hundred bucks. You're not gonna get too much better than the 5770 at that price range.

dugimodo
25-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm guessing you didn't read the article I linked, you might find it helpful.
And to maybe help with some of the confusion about models, AMD(which purchased ATI) and Nvidia are the two manufacturers who design and make the Graphics chips and the various models based on them. Every other brand builds graphics cards based on those standard designs, there are differences in quality and layout and some manufacturers produce overclocked models that are faster but aside form that performance is pretty much the same for all models with the same base design.

For example a GTX650 is a fast budget gaming card, it doesn't matter if it's made by Asus, or Gigabyte, or EVGA, or Leadtek, or whoever, it's still essentially the same design and will perform much the same. The exception to this is some cheap versions using slower RAM or cheaper components, if it's cheaper than everyone else there is probably a reason.

You make two very contradictory statements I'm afraid, wanting to build a gaming PC and not being a serious gamer are not the most compatible of attributes. If I was building a new Gaming PC now I'd expect to spend $1000-$2500, any less than that and what you have is a desktop PC that might play some games ok but is not a "gaming" PC. I recently priced up a reasonable ITX system at $1600, ATX would work out a bit cheaper. (I do this a lot, assemble a PC in the shopping cart of pp.co.nz or computerlounge to see what it would cost me, then delete it because I don't need another one).

If you thought the 240 played Rage ok why not stick with it? the 5770 should be much better but is there a reason you have to use it if you have another card that works?

Final thought, keep an eye on tradme and get a cheap 2nd hand Nvidia card and stick it in your current PC. A GTX460, 560, or 560Ti would be awesome compared to what you have. Just check they will fit in the case and the Power supply is good enough first. (note the 5770 is already as fast as the slower models of the GTX460 if you can perservere and make it work)