PDA

View Full Version : Games with a 2nd monitor

lostsoul62
23-10-2012, 08:14 AM
On windows 7, I was playing Rage until I put on a 2nd monitor and now it just gives me an error message. Is that normal and I can only play games if one monitor is hook up? However I also change video cards so I could get two monitors. I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series and before that I was running a weaker card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 240) which played the game fine. Do I need to re-load the game? Also this HD 5700 was on a different computer running windows 7 and it wouldn't run Rage either, but the NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 will run Rage even though it's a weaker card. I'm just wondering what could be the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Did you install CCC? Or whatever program, then configure it? What does the error say?

Chilling_Silence
23-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I run a lot of games on my HD5870, and I have two monitors. No issues like that.

As Speedy mentioned, ensure that you have the *latest* drivers from the ATi website, the standard Windows ones will not suffice.

dugimodo
23-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Dual Monitors don't stop you gaming I do it all the time. Trying to run a 2nd graphics accelerated program or video on the 2nd screen while gaming can cause problems though.

Rage had problems with a lot of cards on release particularly ATI/AMD cards. Have you applied all the updates to the game or is it unpatched? You probably need to update the game and maybe the graphics driver as well.

As Speedy asked you did install the new drivers right? you can't just swap cards if that's what you did. When switching from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa it pays to uninstall the old drivers first as well. They can coexist on the same machine but it's usually better not to do that.

lostsoul62
23-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Dual Monitors don't stop you gaming I do it all the time.
I think it's my video card and dual monitors was just a coincidence

Rage had problems with a lot of cards on release particularly ATI/AMD cards.
I read about this and your right

Have you applied all the updates to the game or is it unpatched?
I have look for half an hour updates and no luch so far,

You probably need to update the game and maybe the graphics driver as well.
I did upgrade my drivers today for my video card but how can I get the patches for Rage?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Rage-Patch-1-2-Now-Available-for-Download-on-PC-250850.shtml
I found this but they want me to download a manager, I don't get it?

dugimodo
23-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I think the game menu has an option somewhere for updates, sorry I don't have it myself to confirm.
Generally you either update from the game menu, or from a service like steam automatically, or you go to the official website for the game and get the updates from there. I can't do game related web searches from work so you'll have to look yourself but I believe it's an ID software tiitle so try their website.

lostsoul62
24-10-2012, 03:36 AM
I upgraded my video drivers. I reloaded stream twice. When I start Rage I get the error message "Rage has stopped Working a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

lostsoul62
26-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I get an A for stupid. I went into device manage under display and went to properties for my video card and updated my drivers. After that I still couldn't play RAGE. So it finally down on me to go to the ATI.com and see if they had my drivers. It's now AMD.com and yes they had my drivers which I put in and now RAGE works. What a relieve!

icow
26-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Never use the drivers windows update finds. Ever.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2012, 12:55 PM
So it finally down on me to go to the ATI.com and see if they had my drivers. It's now AMD.com and yes they had my drivers which I put in and now RAGE works. What a relieve!

Called it! :D

As Speedy mentioned, ensure that you have the *latest* drivers from the ATi website, the standard Windows ones will not suffice.
Do I get a gold star? ;)

dugimodo
27-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Called it! :D

Do I get a gold star? ;)

Maybe a silver one, reading back all 3 of us mentioned the graphics drivers but no one actually said "go to AMDs website and download the latest drivers" which in hindsight was the right advice.
I don't know about you guys but I guess I made the mistake of assuming that was obvious.

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2012, 03:55 PM
See my previous post with what I quoted :p