PDA

View Full Version : Slim Bean Rom for Galaxy S3

mikebartnz
22-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi there all.
Has anyone used the Slim Bean Rom for the Samsung Galaxy SIII. If so how did you find it.

The Error Guy
22-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Not used it myself although I'm currently using the Supernexus ROM for the i9100 (also available for i9300) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1817345

I have found it to be fast, stable and complete. Definitely the best JB ROM I have used. Since it is very vanilla including only backend performance improvements I am missing a few of the normal "custom ROM features" such as being able to configure toggles in the drop down menu.

mikebartnz
22-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Looks good thank you will do a bit more homework as I am in no great hurry as I have only just got it and haven't got a micro sim yet.

The Error Guy
22-10-2012, 07:24 PM
You can cut down a standard SIM to fit, no big deal if you muck up since you can get an upgrade SIM from telecom for free, transfer your account over and done.

Recently I have been right into my vanilla ROM's. Previously I used ROM's that ported all the samsung software over (swype, Samsung app store etc) but their stability was a little poor since they had to integrate all the samsung stuff into each release. The only real thing I wanted from samsung was swype which I got from the swype site. Only downside is the keyboard is a little ugly.

Ressurection Remix was the ROM I used for "Samsung" Custom ROM's and after that I previously I used the AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) Preview ROM. It wasn't *perfectly* stable. Occasional lockups/reboots and it started to randomly drop service for a while, switched to Supernexus and all has been sweet. Cheekily avoided doing a reset/delvik wipe and it is holding stable so I won't bother resetting unless problems arise (one problem with custom ROM is that when you move releases you have to reset, even with Titanium backups I find sometimes I lose stats in games. Angry! You won't lose stats etc when upgrading releases since you don't wipe the caches and reset)

Sometimes mucking around with custom ROM's sounds icky but once you settle on a release it really is just like any other phone. Update every 6 months with a stable release (unless there are bugs that are fixed in the interim) and you are good. Can't wait for JB's successor. Should be awesome!

Good luck with your S3!

mikebartnz
22-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that lot.

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah I'm a big fan of sticking with something that dubs itself as "Pure AOSP" and doesn't include a whole lot of bloat. Never liked the extra things that HTC / Samsung add on to change the look of Android, such as TouchWiz / Sense UI.

The Error Guy
23-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Forgot to mention, the one thing the "Samsung" ROM's DIDN'T have was touchwiz (thank f***!) The custom UI's are terrible and just waste developer time.

mikebartnz
23-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I trimmed the Sim2 card I had last night. Was a little tight getting it in even though I used a template and then measured it with callipers. I think it was the thickness as much as anything.