PDA

View Full Version : Not detecting USB's

pct
20-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Hey guys, so I got a second hand desktop and just set it up properly....all was working fine until I plugged in my flash drive to transfer my stuff over and everything seemed to freeze up (not sure whether that caused it or not)...restarted and said it wasn't detecting keyboard. Doesn't seem to be detecting anything USB. ..

was also updated the virus and spyware stuff on Microsoft security essentials when it happened if that makes any difference... and downloading firefox! Lol know that probably means nothing but anyhow!

Sure (hope) it must be something simple....hope you guys can help!!

linw
20-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Pull the power cord out and leave it overnight. Sounds silly, but this has worked before. At least this is labour light and leaving it overnight is no strain!

pct
21-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks, but no luck!!

any other suggestions appreciated

MistyCat
21-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Have a read of this: (paste into Google for the full address.)
support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

There's a downloadable checker there.

Have you looked at your USB devices in Device Manager?

linw
21-10-2012, 10:23 PM
It was a long shot! Do a System Restore back to before the 'event' if you have restore points available. A restore can be good for 'weird' issues. Once again, no guarantees but worth a shot.

What does Device Manager have to say? Any problems reported there?

pct
22-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, tried a system restore...no luck there either.

Device Manager shows no problems.Have tried uninstalling and then restarting, it picks them up again and reinstalls them... still don't work tho unfortunately. :(

pct
22-10-2012, 12:00 PM
I can't see the downloadable checker, where is that??

MistyCat
22-10-2012, 12:20 PM
If you Google "support.microsoft.com/kb/310575" the first link is Microsoft's "Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP"

The "Fix it for me" download applies just to XP, but the "Advanced troubleshooting" list under "More Information" has a series of steps which apply to all versions.

What's your OS?

8ftmetalhaed
22-10-2012, 12:56 PM
try turning it off, pushing the power button repeatedly a few times, then leaving it for 10-15 minutes, repeating it then turning on. Simply leaving it overnight /might/ not have caused it to bleed completely dry.

pct
22-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys

I can't actually see any Fix it for me link, maybe it only shows for computers that have SP3? (i'm on another comp at the moment).

the desktop is xp professional SP3.

Driftwood
22-10-2012, 02:03 PM
What are the specs of the system?
You said you had just set it up, does that mean you have re-installed the OS?
Are the drivers updated?
Is the bios set to default?

pct
22-10-2012, 02:14 PM
3.2 GHz
1 GB ram
80 GB HDD

MSI Tower
MS 865Gm3-LS

yeah fresh install of xp SP3 so all up to date, usb was working fine...just randomly stopped working....is it possible to download the drivers for it to check they are up to date?? haven't touched the bios.

MistyCat
22-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm on Win 7. When I open "support.microsoft.com/kb/310575" there's a JavaScript Popup saying I'm running the wrong windows version for the XP fix, with a Download button pointing here:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9775982

That should get you a 340k exe file to run on the problem computer.

Driftwood
22-10-2012, 02:28 PM
If you havent installed the motherboard drivers, they are available here.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/865GM3-LS--FIS.html#/?div=Driver&os=XP%2032

pct
22-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys

Driftwood, I bought the desktop with everything all installed...so I'm pretty sure the motherboard drivers would be there. would it matter if I reinstalled them or is that a no no?

Driftwood
22-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Wouldnt do any harm to reinstall them as long as you use the correct ones.
May even cure your problem.
If it was going fine prior to this problem then it is most likely something you have done to cause it.
After the steps you have taken so far to remedy the problem, what is the situation?
Does it now detect the keyboard?
What other USB devices have you got conected to it?

wainuitech
22-10-2012, 10:30 PM
all was working fine until I plugged in my flash drive to transfer my stuff over and everything seemed to freeze up (not sure whether that caused it or not)...restarted and said it wasn't detecting keyboard. Doesn't seem to be detecting anything USB. ..

One of several things has happened.

The original Keyboard has failed - try another keyboard
The Operating system has done something stupid, and affected the USB ports
When you plugged in the USB drive it managed to short circuit or destroy the USB ports ( seen it happen)

There's no need to muck about with Motherboard drivers - The default drivers that windows has will easily run basic USB devices, Keyboards, Mice or USB drives.

The basic drivers should work fine --think about it - if they didn't how would a USB keyboard and mouse be used when installing ????

What you can try, boot the PC from your windows XP install CD, OR any bootable OS/CD Ubuntu ( Linux for example) If the ports are working and the keyboard is known to be working/Good then they will detect and the KB will work.

"IF" the known good USB KB wont work, then plug in a PS2 KB and try that, if that works try to enter the BIOS (tapping the delete Key) If you can get into the BIOS with a PS2 KB, reset it to defaults, and try again with the USB KB. If its still not detecting the USB ports in basic start up as described - then theres a good chance the Ports are blown, if that's the case theres no fix apart from maybe putting in a USB / PCI card.

Another thing you can try is disconnecting the front USB connector, It may have shorted.

QUESTION: were the ports actually working before you brought the PC.

Actually got a couple of Old PC's in the workshop some of the ports are dead.

Paul.Cov
22-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I've seen issues with old HP and Compaq machines where the USB gets screwed up with the updates that occur after XP SP1.
The solution is to uninstall all USB drivers, roll back to SP1.

Gone nuts trying to find a better solution than that.

You may need a PS2 keyboard and mouse to achieve this.

wainuitech
22-10-2012, 10:50 PM
I've seen issues with old HP and Compaq machines where the USB gets screwed up with the updates that occur after XP SP1.
The solution is to uninstall all USB drivers, roll back to SP1.

Gone nuts trying to find a better solution than that.

You may need a PS2 keyboard and mouse to achieve this. Yep :thumbs: That's why I suggested above booting from a XP CD or Ubuntu live CD , if they work from one of those its a software problem, if Not then its hardware or BIOS setting.

Since all the ports are not working it has to be discovered where the actual problem is.

pct
23-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your help guys, off to try my Ubuntu cd.

Yes the usb ports all worked fine until I tried plugging in a usb in the front port (which was quite bent, since fixed them up)... everything froze and had to restart. No usb's working! does seem like it has short circuited, hope not though.

I have a cordless mouse which has a red light display on the usb when plugged in. tried yesterday and it does display...hope yet???

wainuitech
23-10-2012, 09:50 PM
plugging in a usb in the front port (which was quite bent, since fixed them up)... Oh dear - :crying being bent is not a good sign, there should be a tab in the port that the pins sit in, if thats broken, and the pins bend and touch the outer casing of the USB port "poof" they are gone usually= Short circuited.

Try unplugging the from USB front panel plugs from the motherboard, hopefully its only the front ports that are affected. ( easy enough to find - just follow the leads back to the board if its not obvious) there will be two lots, 1. The USB & 2. The Power/HDD Light / Reset etc

pct
23-10-2012, 10:12 PM
hmm yeah think my brother already tried unplugging the front USB and it made no difference.

maybe I should just get a PCI card? do i need a specific one for my computer??

Thanks again wainuitech!

Slankydudl
23-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah bent things is computers always cause problems. Any pci card should work, it will have its own drivers and they will list what windows version it requires. I dont think many wouldnt work.

wainuitech
24-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Have you tried booting with that Ubuntu CD yet ( post #20)? If so what happened ?

pct
24-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah just booted it with Ubuntu, nothing from USB keyboard or mouse. :(

is a PCI card the only/best option?

wainuitech
24-10-2012, 11:40 AM
The other option /test, is to boot the PC with a PS2 keyboard, Assuming that works, boot into the BIOS and just check the USB support hasn't some how gotten disabled.

If its All OK, then it's looking like the USB ports are damaged. There is no real way to repair them if they have short-circuited.

PCI/USB cards are not expensive, theres plenty about, different brands, Just 1 example from Ascent PCI / USB (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353740), any real computer shop should have them ( meaning NOT the toaster shops like Harvey Normans etc)

Only do the following if you are comfortable and know what you're doing ----->

There is one other thing you may want to try - A LONG shot, removing the motherboard from the PC and firing it up outside of the case, just in case something has moved and the USB ports are shorting on the case. I got two Motherboards like that, outside a case work fine, but its the faceplate shorting somewhere when in the case stops it dead.

pct
24-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I've been into the bios (PS2 port works fine) and reset it a few times and made no difference

hmm yeah don't really feel comfortable removing the motherboard

would this do the job? http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/usb-hubs/auction-524466616.htm

This sounds stupid, but where do they fit into the box??

If I plug in the usb for my cordless mouse the red light comes up as if it's working...guess that makes no difference?

pct
25-10-2012, 10:36 PM
bump!

Slankydudl
25-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Ah yes, sorry for a late reply. This will slot into a long horisontal probably white plug on the bottom left quadrant of your motherboard. The metal band with the 4 ports on it will face the outside of the case and to fit it you will have to remove. a little metal cover which take that sma eplace as the one on the card. To install just turn off the computer and slot it in, it may take a bit of pressure to get in. The. Once thats done just boot up the pc, install drivers and restart it.

pct
29-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks to all for the help, have just bought a PCI card that will hopefully do the trick.

Much appreciated! :thumbs:

pct
30-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi guys,
pci card arrived this morning and works well. drivers installed automatically so all is good but have one question:

coz my keyboard is usb, when it starts up it doesn't pick up the keyboard until it gets into windows so you get the message "no keyboard recognised, press f1" so you have to plug in a ps2 keyboard just to press f1. is there a way around this?

thnx again!

MistyCat
30-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Unless your desktop is really old, there ought to be a BIOS option to enable "pre-windows" USB.

If there's not, I'll just quietly back away...