PDA

View Full Version : New 40g HDD, Bad Sectors

08-11-2001, 10:45 PM
Transferred all the software across and all went fine and scandisk checked 100% OK from new.
3 weeks later I went to boot up the PC and was prompted to run scandisk. Scandisk in Windows detected 36,864 in bad sectors. Will the drive deteriorate further ? Should I seek a replacement? My concern is the down time reloading everything. Thanks for your opinion.

08-11-2001, 11:02 PM
get back to who ever you purchased it off and either get them to transfer data for nicks to new HDD or copy to disk,get a refund and get another elsewhere. Go for it.

09-11-2001, 12:07 AM
hey chill out,chris. it's not the retailers fault if a drive is bad. he only sells it, not make it. thats what warranties are for. blame seagate, fujitsu, maxtor whoever. just get a replacement - don't forget receipt

10-11-2001, 09:29 AM
no slur on retailer intended,just seems to be quality of products on market or not the same as before.have had three HDD that were 'new' only to find similar situation occuring.contact by customer to manufac or wholesaler useless whereas retailer has more pull.