PDA

View Full Version : WMP 11 and .mp4 + Local Area Connection issue

DarkFather
19-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Problem 1

I just reformatted my drive and reinstalled Windows XP Pro slipstreamed with SP3, then went and did Windows update.

After installing my soundcard and graphics card I installed Winamp and VLC player.

However, for some reason after doing my usual regedit for WMP 11 to stream MP4 it is not working. I tried two different regedit files and it still wont read .mp4 files in WMP11 library.

(I use WMP 11 to stream video files to my PS3) So, I tried uninstalling Winamp and VLC, and still no luck.

I have been doing this for YEARS, not a single problem, and now it wont work. So I don't get why it wont do it anymore. Any takers as to why this is happening all the sudden on a fresh install?

--------

Problem 2

Since reinstalling Windows XP Pro slipstreamed with SP3 and updating. I installed the chipset Ethernet drivers for my MB as usual.

However, now it takes a good 4 min for Local Area Connection to pop up after start-up. I click Start and go to Connect Too and it lags.

It's like the connection doesn't want to activate right away for some reason. It used to be in the taskbar RIGHT at start up always before and was already connected. Now it has to connect every single time at start-up being slow. I have tried installing the drivers 2 times now.

I should mention that when I click Local Area Connection after it finally comes up it says "Attempting to Authenticate" until I hit "Repair" then it is fine. Is there something I need to disable in the Authentication? Any takers as to why this is happening?

Thank you.

DarkFather
19-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Update : I looked in my Event Viewer and found this many times. I am pretty sure these are the events from the Local Area Connection problem

"DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}"

Speedy Gonzales
19-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Go into the LAN properties. There maybe a tab for the authentication at the top. Click on it, then untick the option to authenticate. An XP update added this option. But you dont have to use it

That error in event viewer. Were you in safe mode when it appeared? It can happen in safe mode, since most services are disabled

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm unsure if it's related, considering it'll be decoding on the client system, but do you have the appropriate codecs for WMP11 to use?

DarkFather
19-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Go into the LAN properties. There maybe a tab for the authentication at the top. Click on it, then untick the option to authenticate. An XP update added this option. But you dont have to use it

That error in event viewer. Were you in safe mode when it appeared? It can happen in safe mode, since most services are disabled

1) Where exactly is LAN settings, I see nothing about LAN in the Local Area Connection properties. Is that under the Authentication tab and deselect "Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication" ?

I also notice there is a 'Internet Connection" in Network Connections now that was never there before. It was always just Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 2 before.

2) No, I wasn't in safe mode at all.

Remember, you are the one who Slipstreamed me and helped me long ago. I just tried using Win 7 Ultimate but kept getting BSOD about 5 min after start-up or so, it also took 4 times to get it to install all the way as it was doing BSOD during install even. So I had to go back to Win XP Pro SP3. : (

I'm unsure if it's related, considering it'll be decoding on the client system, but do you have the appropriate codecs for WMP11 to use?

Oddly enough, I started up my PC today and now it read's .mp4's and streams them to PS3 as it always did. So, I think it just took a few reboots for the regedit to finally kick in. Thanx.

DarkFather
19-10-2012, 09:50 AM
UPDATE : I disabled the Authentication and rebooted PC. Local Area Connection popped up right away. So, I'll see if it is fixed now.

Speedy Gonzales
19-10-2012, 11:30 AM
When it authenticates it assumes something else (like another PC), is connected to the network. That maybe why it takes longer for it to work when you used to boot up. But you dont really need it. Everything will still work properly

What stop error were you getting with Win7??

DarkFather
19-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanx. It is working fine now.

As far as Win 7 : It was 64 bit version, I've never used 64 bit before.

I got a few BSOD, one was DRIVER_IRQ_NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Something like that. That was the one after I finally got Win 7 installed and graphics card installed, etc. I thought it would work fine after FINALLY getting Win 7 installed, then it started getting BSOD about 5 min after start-up everytime.

I really had a time getting it to install. I got BSOD 4 times in a row during the Completing Installation phase. It would set for a long time not moving, then finally the BSOD would pop. But, I can't recall the error names now. It was different two times of the 4.