PDA

View Full Version : Flashing the BIOS ... I'm a virgin and help would be appreciated !

SP8's
16-10-2012, 03:45 PM
OK ... have a new battery delivered today for my daughters Sony Vaio lappy.

Came with a disc (small CD) and instructions to flash the BIOS before using the battery ... sounded a little weird to me, so thought I'd ask those more knowledgeable than myself what they think.

Thanks in advance.

SP8's ... AKA ... Dave

dugimodo
16-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Install the battery and if everything works ok ignore the rest. If it ain't broke.....

pctek
16-10-2012, 03:57 PM
No.
The only time you update a BIOS is if it has a problem.

SP8's
16-10-2012, 06:08 PM
OK ... Just an update ... The lappy would not recognise or charge the new battery, reason given was Sony use some sort of security to stop people using "non original" batteries.

Even though the new battery was a Sony replacement battery (or a bloody good forgery) it required a "BIOS patch" (also Sony branded) in order for it to be used ... crossed my fingers, closed my eyes and got the chequebook out ready to buy daughter new lappy.

Patch worked ... no problems ... YET.

I had actually replaced the DC socket and fan after someone either dropped it or stood on it. Took everything apart to see what was needed and ordered off the net from the US, including a replacement battery.

Put everything together and nothing happened ... NADA ... not even an led or beep. Thought I must have got the wrong DC input socket or something stupid like a solder joint broken on it so ripped everything apart again ...

And who was the silly B'stard who'd forgotten to connect the ribbon cable from the power switch to the mobo ... :annoyed:

linw
16-10-2012, 10:54 PM
That last question is a toughie:) Bet you were glad to find it was that simple, though.

8ftmetalhaed
16-10-2012, 11:52 PM
that sounds ****in' ridiculous. Now I'll never buy a sony laptop. Thanks for the heads up. (I would have never bought one anyway, this cements that fact)

Zippity
17-10-2012, 09:18 AM
A 58 year old virgin? WOW!!!!!! :) :)

kingdragonfly
17-10-2012, 02:27 PM
flipping Sony.

You know it's ironic that in 1984 Sony fought the movie and TV industry that their product, the VCR, were "capable of commercially significant noninfringing uses"

See US Supreme court ruling "Sony versus Universal City Studios"

http://ilt.eff.org/index.php/Sony_Corp._of_Am._v._Universal_City_Studios,_Inc.

Agent_24
17-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Live a little!

Upgrading BIOS is not a big deal, really.