PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if I should upgrade to Win8

jcr1
15-10-2012, 05:49 PM
When I bought my Asus Zenbook (nice), I was given a voucher that will enable me to upgrade to win8, for a very good price.

Is there enough info yet, to indicate as to whether it could be a worthy successor to win7? Bearing in mind it's being touted as ideal for tablets etc.

I've been running a virtual evaluation install on my Proxmox server, and it seems fairly good, IMO. The tiles to start with are an interesting and different feature, and then when I go to desktop, it's all familiarity. I'm guardedly a bit impressed about it - but time will tell.
They say it's easier on resources than previous windows; but one has to wonder if there's a trade off there, for the sake of tablets and phones?

wainuitech
15-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Using Windows 8 RTM on this PC right now. Compared to Windows 7 that was on it, Windows 8 does run better, faster.

The new start interface, and other day to day settings ( if required) are easy to get used to.

If I had to make a choice I'd use W8, mainly because it is faster, haven't found anything that doesn't work yet with existing programs.

Only real downside (program wise) W8 doesn't allow for DVD playback, but theres plenty of free players that do work Well on W8 and do play DVD's.
It also doesn't include Windows Media Center , if you want that you have to buy it when available. On our Media center, which has the Preview Version, it works well. The larger Start Menu Apps are a LOT better to use from across the lounge than the current desktop Icons on W7 or XP (you can actually see them lol). Simply wipe off the ones you don't want - Easy.

As for the Price, $20 upgrade is cheap (OK $19.99 to be precise). http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-NZ

CYaBro
15-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I agree with wainuitech, I'd run Win8 now.
I've been using it on my laptop for about a month now (since the RTM was available on Technet) and it works great.
Even if you don't install it now at least you'll have the option later as the cheap upgrade offer is only available until Feb next year from memory.

pcuser42
15-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I've also been running Windows 8 on my desktop and laptop computers for a number of weeks, and while I have had driver issues on my laptop (hurry up ASUS and Nvidia), it's otherwise awesome. :D

jcr1
15-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks, for that.
I'd say I'll definitely be upgrading. I feel fairly positive about it.
Apparently 26 October is the day it's available.

pcuser42
15-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks, for that.
I'd say I'll definitely be upgrading. I feel fairly positive about it.
Apparently 26 October is the day it's available.

Unless you're a TechNet or MSDN subscriber or have access to DreamSpark, yes ;)

jcr1
15-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Unless you're a TechNet or MSDN subscriber or have access to DreamSpark, yes ;)

I think I might be a Technet subscriber. I get e-mails, now and then. I wonder if that qualifies and what would that mean for upgrading to win8?

CYaBro
15-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I think I might be a Technet subscriber. I get e-mails, now and then. I wonder if that qualifies and what would that mean for upgrading to win8?

I think anyone can subscribe to the Technet emails however you have to have a paid subscription to get access to the Technet software library, which is an annual fee.

jcr1
15-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I think anyone can subscribe to the Technet emails however you have to have a paid subscription to get access to the Technet software library, which is an annual fee.
I thought it might be something like that. Never mind, not long until 26 October. Trouble is, every man and his dog will be downloading then, so there'll probably be a huge queu.

linw
15-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I'll upgrade my master PC with the $49.99 upgrade. This has WMC as well. Might snaffle a second copy too!

I've had a look at it Win 8 and I will adapt. It is efficient and is the first windows that will run better on the current hardware than the one it replaces.

pcuser42
15-10-2012, 09:43 PM
It is efficient and is the first windows that will run better on the current hardware than the one it replaces.

Second. ;)

nmercer
15-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Nz$49.99 is the online upgrade price available Friday week

This gets you pro with media centre key

Fwiw TechNet is licensed for evaluation only, not production

Great feedback on you guys are enjoying Win 8 btw

cheers
Nathan

jcr1
16-10-2012, 08:11 AM
They're releasing the upgrade at a very reasonable price, compared to releases of previous versions, which used to be in the hundreds rather than the 10's.
This makes it all the more compelling to "go for it".
And download the upgrades too.
I guess buying the full install DVD might be a different thing?

Nick G
16-10-2012, 08:49 AM
They're releasing the upgrade at a very reasonable price, compared to releases of previous versions, which used to be in the hundreds rather than the 10's.
This makes it all the more compelling to "go for it".
And download the upgrades too.
I guess buying the full install DVD might be a different thing?
Yep, it'll cost more.
Just a side question here, if I was to get the upgrade to win8, would my MS word 2010 work on it?

jcr1
16-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Yep, it'll cost more.
Just a side question here, if I was to get the upgrade to win8, would my MS word 2010 work on it?
There's a point. Would my Office 2003 work?

Paul.Cov
16-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I have some doubts that a fresh install of W8 will be faster on the same hardware than a fresh install of W7.

My W7 was nice and brisk... until a few years of patches and updates were added.

The same patch chaos will soon descend on W8 users too, which in my opinion renders the whole upgrade cycle as just a waste of effort.

jcr1
16-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I have some doubts that a fresh install of W8 will be faster on the same hardware than a fresh install of W7.

My W7 was nice and brisk... until a few years of patches and updates were added.

The same patch chaos will soon descend on W8 users too, which in my opinion renders the whole upgrade cycle as just a waste of effort.

Then we'll need Win9:groan:

wainuitech
16-10-2012, 09:22 AM

From Personal experience - Windows 8 Was noticeably faster.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7, put in the Graphic Drivers, NO updates from MS or any other place. Then wiped the drive soon after and did the same with Windows 8. Windows 8 was faster, booted quicker, had more of a "snap" to it. All on the same hardware, so it was a good comparison.

On the Media Center, which has the preview edition, its REALLY noticeably faster, boots to something usable in a fraction of the time.

Just timed it, it takes 45 seconds from completely off to fully running. The first 30 seconds it shows the BIOS screen, detecting drives etc (does this on any OS) once it gets to loading the OS, W8 takes 15 Seconds. Windows 7 or XP takes at least 1+ minute to load the OS.

Another thing I tried the other day - Windows To Go -- That loads reasonably quick as well considering its running from a USB External Drive.

You do sometimes get an obvious message ( well it seems obvious ) when booting from an external Drive :

pcuser42
16-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Yep, it'll cost more.

Yes. Using Office 2010 on Windows 8 right now and it works fine :)

If Windows 7 can run Office 2003, Windows 8 should be able to as well.