PDA

View Full Version : ATi 6770M - lots of crashes

The Error Guy
13-10-2012, 10:11 PM
So I was wondering what you would think of this, I have had my DV7 for about a year and a half now, as (in my experiance) usual with win7 I got several "Graphics adapter has stopped responding and recovered" crashes, technically a BSOD but not quite since windows can now handle GPU timeouts. The problem is Photoshop (CS6) won't redraw after the GPU is reset leaving me with no option other than to kill the process and restart. Work is often lost. It's not just photoshop that won't redraw (zune and pretty much all DirectX rendered content won't until the application is relaunched) I'm not too worried about them its PS that's the main one.

Anyway, I was wondering what could be done to fix the problem. I have the latest HP BIOS and Drivers. Using anything other than the HP ATi drivers results in a BSOD (package responsible atikmpag.sys) when installing the driver. Can't boot afterwards, have to go clean out the drivers and install the HP package again.

Using minecraft will result in a GPU reset after at least 20 mins

No resets/crashes with Intel GPU (sandy bridge i7)

When I was in china I got 4GB RAM for $20 thought either it's dodge as hell or its a bargain. Tested with some random software and it picked up a tonne of errors. I kept it in because everything seemed stable but I thought perhaps it might be causing the GPU to kill itself. Anyway, I tested with GRUB's mem test, the HP EFI Memtest and windows mem test. No errors, so is it possible that there are errors escaping detection and this is a problem or was it a chance that the mem tester I used was being a dud?

I haven't done extensive testing with different RAM but I know that minecraft crashes shortly when using the HP by itself and the China RAM by itself. I draw null conclusions on that.

Short story long, anyone know of any tips/tricks to solving these GPU crashes or even better, being able to update the driver to an unofficial one without an atikmpag.sys BSOD?

No plod, I won't get a macbook, no everyone else I won't get rid of the HP :D

Many thanks.

EDIT: The reason I use minecraft is because it is the only way I can reliably get a GPU reset under stable conditions, other times it's hit and miss!

KarameaDave
14-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Have you updated the BIOS?
From what I'm reading the switchable graphics implementation
on these units leaves a bit to be desired.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03048374&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=4317562#N218
This is yours but with faster VRAM
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/7690M-GPU-HP-HORRIBLE-DRIVER-SUPPORT/m-p/1258427#M39396

I would update to that new BIOS, set fixed and ensure it runs only the ATI GPU. (if, indeed that is doable)
Then see if problem persists.

The Error Guy
14-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Mine always runs the ATi GPU, I have set manual controls to switch to the Intel Sandy B one.

I have tried to get "custom" drivers for the 6770M but they cause that atikmpag.sys BSOD. That really stumps me, tried several versions and one from ATi themselves. All cause a BSOD.

I'll try a BIOS update. Pretty sure I'm up to date. Nothing new since 2011 :rolleyes:

KarameaDave
14-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Can't help you any further, you know us Google jockeys. :D

icow
14-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Are the GPU temps normal-ish around the time it crashes?

PPp
14-10-2012, 03:20 PM
You probably need to check out the card and memory on another computer. Have you checked out the graphics cards temperature?

The Error Guy
14-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Graphics temps seem fine, once I have finished my NCEA L3 Design and photography porfolios I'll strip my laptop down and redo the thermal paste/clean fans. I don't remember a temp spike, sometimes the fan goes a little harder just before the crash (indicative of a temp spike)

With in PS the app will become unresponsive for a sec (I now know of impending doom!) background apps/mouse are fine then rest of screen locks and GPU is reset. M$ then kindly inform you the last hours work is goneburger hahah, silly me never saves it :D

I'll keep an eye on it and see if temps are climbing before the crash, if they are what's that a sign of other than higher load being applied?

Not much time on me atm, I'll try cleaning it out/swapping RAM around, no fix there I'll try get some hacked drivers going as well as try a hacked Insyde BIOS so I can actually change some BIOS settings other than the date!.

Cheers guys.