PDA

View Full Version : Sizing images on wide screen monitors

Billy T
13-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Team

It was E-Waste day today, and it was time I disposed of our CRT monitors (15" Philips, 17" Philips and a 21" IBM, I can't believe I ever worked on a 14" screen, let alone 15"!) so yesterday I took delivery of two Samsung 24" LED 2mS 'gaming' monitors from AlphaCity. Their service was great and the items were couriered here in just a little over 24 hours. Price was $248 each, which seems to be pretty darned sharp pricing, but the net cost after I claim the GST back is $220 each.

All that aside, I am having difficulty coping with a PF1 window that runs the full width of the screen and I actually have to turn my head to read each line of text within the window, so I am assuming that I can narrow this down somewhat, however being new to such luxury I have no idea how one does this. I've seen images of screens with more than one program open at the same time and individually displayed, so it must be possible but so far I haven't found the answer.

So where do I look?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Actually disposed of three monitors, a TV and a microwave oven, all working fine. Shame really.

gary67
13-10-2012, 08:15 PM
On win 7 you can grab the program drag it left or right flicking it hard and it resizes to half screen. I can't do that though as it doesn't work with dual monitors

nmercer
13-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Aero Snap does work with dual monitors

try windows key + left or right arrow

coldot
13-10-2012, 09:31 PM
... and I actually have to turn my head to read each line of text within the window ...
Must have been interesting for an onlooker. Reminds me of those clown heads and ping pong balls at the fun fair!

The Error Guy
13-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I say learn to move your eyes, I have never had an issue unless it's a big screen that I'm close to, you probably aren't used to the radius of turn.

That being said, yes aero snap will work on dual monitors, just drag the window to one side to fill half the screen or press win + left or right arrow. Dragging to the top or up arrow does full screen.

Jen
13-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Can't you drag in the side border of Firefox and make the window narrower?

b....
13-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Billy, I only have a 22" but still find that I tend to move my head when reading across the screen, even though the screen is about 800mm away. I tend to lean back(slouch) in the chair when reading.
When I sit up straight I do as Jen suggested and make the window narrower. I sometimes run two windows side by side, especially when researching or comparing things.

gary67
14-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Wow thanks, you learn something new everyday

Nick G
14-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Works on Suse as well :D

Thanks

Nomad
14-10-2012, 11:16 AM
At least Aucklanders have E-Waste Day, since E-Day discontinued. Have some stuff here that we could get rid off ..

I have a 24", I just resize the window manually, I frequently have a MS Outlook window and a MS Word window side/side. 50/50.

Terry Porritt
14-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Mabe I'm thick, but I can't see what the problem is, perhaps this will help

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/for-seniors-how-to-resize-a-window-on-your-compute.html :banana

8ftmetalhaed
14-10-2012, 05:49 PM
There's a literal plethora of great windows shortcuts you can use. In addition to left and right to snap, you can minimise and maximise windows with windows up and windows down.

Billy T
14-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I say learn to move your eyes.

Unfortunately my glasses have graduated lenses and do not allow for significant lateral eye movement, so I have to move my head to maintain focus.

I'm working on the other options but have amire pressing problem right now with MSSE.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
14-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately my glasses have graduated lenses and do not allow for significant lateral eye movement, so I have to move my head to maintain focus.

I'm working on the other options but have amire pressing problem right now with MSSE.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)dont over complicate things billy. It's as simple as dragging the corner of the browser either left or right to resize it. Nothing more. Don't be afraid, live dangerously for a change. Try it!

Billy T
14-10-2012, 09:54 PM
dont over complicate things billy. It's as simple as dragging the corner of the browser either left or right to resize it. Nothing more. Don't be afraid, live dangerously for a change. Try it!

I know about that thanks plod, and I've used it for years. I've been there and tried that, in fact it was my first thought, but I can't 'hook on' to the edges or corner of any window.

I just had another bright idea though: most of my commonly used sites are accessed from a desktop Icon that is programmed to open them at a set page, and I thought that they were pretty much all set to open maximised as well, because of the limited display area on my old monitor. However, I just did a quick check and my screen icons for PF1 and a range of other sites don't allow me to open in any other form than maximised, so that's another good idea down the gurgler.

I can live with it the way it is, but I had fancied the idea of having both a document and a website open side by side, so I'm going to have to work on this a little more I think. I may have some less obvious setting cocked up.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Nick G
15-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Billy, have you read this? Windows key + left or right arrow will do what you want. :)

linw
15-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Got me baffled. Can't see why you have to live with maximised windows unlike oretty much everyone else.

dugimodo
15-10-2012, 11:22 AM
The maximise button also un-maximises if you click it again, or you can grab the top bar of the window and drag it down and to one side to expose the edges and then hover the mouse over the window edge to get the double ended arrow and drag them to suit. Once you can see the window edges you can move any of them to size it how you want or use a corner to do two directions at once. The bottom corner is easiest just because there are no buttons to accidentally click.

The windows key shortcut tips are useful, I must try to remember them. I use Aero snap on dual screens, but only on the left edge of one and the right edge of the other :) the edge where they "connect" I've never been able to snap to.

Billy T
15-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Well, I've looked again this morning and for Word, Excel, Publisher, Irfanview and a few others I tried, the only movable object on the whole screen is the task bar along the bottom that I can extend if I wish to, but I don't. I still can't drag the PF1 Window either.

However, Metapad, Adobe and some other programs are OK, so I suspect that it is perhaps an icon parameter that is making the difference when the program is opened, but opening minimised seems to mean open to the system tray only.

I need to dig a little deeper I think.

Still loving the screen though, I didn't realise how tired the old IBM had got.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Right. For some programs I can choose 'normal window' in the icon properties and they open smaller and resizeable, but Word/Excel/Publisher and a range of other programs do not shrink when normal window is selected, and don't provide drag handles.

Billy T
15-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Sorted. :D

I'd stuffed something up, but I'm not sure how I actually fixed it. I was keyboarding something and since I don't touch-type I wasn't viewing the screen, and when I looked up it was ok. I'll not tempt fate or look a gift horse in the mouth, a fix is a fix.

Thanks for the advice, it kept me trying............

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

linw
15-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Whew!! It's called serendippity:)

Whenu
16-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Whew!! It's called serendippity:)

Is that a special combination of keys?

linw
16-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Yep, but only Billy knows. And he's not telling. If he did, he would have to kill you!!

Billy T
16-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Yep, but only Billy knows. And he's not telling. If he did, he would have to kill you!!

I'd kill to know what it was myself!

I was simultaneously struggling with MSSE which told me it was out of order, so to speak, and would not initialise. Nothing I did would make it come back but then it just did! Two miracles in one day should qualify me for Sainthood, or do I have to sacrifice a Virgin as well?

Cheers

BIlly 8-{) :D

linw
16-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Hard to find one of those now Billy!!!

Billy T
17-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Hard to find one of those now Billy!!!

Don't I know it, I had to settle for the neighbour's pussy instead...............

It was old, it was smelly, and it was losing its hair................

and I had to chase her round the yard until I caught her.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :devil: