PDA

View Full Version : Me clean install

08-11-2001, 04:53 PM
I've had Windows ME for several months and it seems to be getting sluggish and minor niggles are happening with some programs. I am purchasing a new computer and giving the old one to a friend. So I want to start over - wipe everything off the HD and re-install Me and my programs.
How do do this?
Given that I bought it from Dell with lots of stuff pre-installed (Win 98, MS Office 200o etc) will I lose anything (I have all the original disks)?
I have a Dell 500 Celeron, 128 MB memory, 13 GB hard drive.

08-11-2001, 08:33 PM
If you have the Windows CD and bootdisk and you want to wipe EVERYTHING and re-install it all its pretty easy - Restart the pc|select boot from floppy in the bios|insert the floppy, select start computer WITH cd rom support, insert the Windows cd, itll do a few tests then - once finished, choose how many things you want installed off the cd, let Windows install, reinstall all your drivers for the modem, graphics card etc etc, and then install office and all that stuff again and your away laughing!! any probs email me

08-11-2001, 10:55 PM
that is how u do an 'install over the top'. to do a clean install you need to format the disk. this will wipe any existing data from the disk. then reinstall.

note if you have had major problems it would pay to fdisk, delete partitions then redo the partitions.

09-11-2001, 09:18 AM
thanks - so I go into DOS to run fdisk to reformat the whole hard drive, yes?
I don't have any partitions - do I need them?
how do I start the computer again to install Me if everything has been wiped?

13-11-2001, 04:24 AM
My advice id dont go for 98 sec edition if you can it is 10% faster and a lot less buggy.
A quote from another site --'Well I don't know about anyone else, but I had the same problem with ME just a few weeks ago. I found a utility on ZDNET called CleanReg 3.5.3.1. I install many game demos and program demos and it seemed to have fragmented my registry which gave me the exact same errors you reported. Try using it if you can, I hope it helps. It did for me. There are alos MANY registry utilities out there, but mainly if you are unsure how to use these things, back up your registry first before using. '