PDA

View Full Version : change on board with PCI video card

08-11-2001, 01:17 PM
In October PC WORD I read the article ?Do it yourself ? Dream machines? by Kirk Steers. In column ?How to Change a card? I found most of the answers for my problem but that was not enough.
Let me get to the point.
I have J-720AF motherboard with PIII 450Mhz and on board video and sound. I would like to disable on board video and to install PCI video card.
Soon as I removed display adapter form device manager I shut down the computer and I located jumper for disabling on board video. After changing the jumper settings inserted PSI video card in the slot and connected monitor cable to it.
Boots up the system and ? nothing!! System just hangs without beep on the start of the boot up process.
What was wrong in the sequence of the disabling ? installation process?

Regards

Dejan

08-11-2001, 01:47 PM
A few things I can think of,

Sometimes its a good idea after you remove your display adapter from windows to install the standard windows vga driver then shutdown and disable onboard.

Also maybe there is an option in bios to change primary display from agp to pci? If so then change it to pci.

Otherwise try the card in another pci slot and make sure it is fully seated - you should hear a click when it goes in, I usually slot one end in first then the other.

08-11-2001, 01:53 PM
Its not often just a jumper setting to disable onboard graphics, or sound for that matter.

There should be a setting in BIOS to disable the onboard crap.

09-11-2001, 01:37 AM
By following your istructions I managed to make it go BUT,
Now my on board sound 'blaster' has bad sound. There is a sound but it is blur.
Any advice?

Thanks

Dejan