PDA

View Full Version : RAM won't fit anymore

PringlesMan
08-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone, I recently decided to upgrade my RAM from 2x 1GB sticks to 2x 2GB sticks. After I placed the new sticks in, my computer started to loop a series of long beeps. After that, I tried putting in my old 1GB sticks back in and the beeping still occurs. I've tried to place each stick as a single and did that with every slot to no avail. I have noticed however, that when I do place the sticks in, I can still see the chips of the RAM close to the notch despite the fact that the clips of the slots on the sides are fully in and was wondering if that's a sign of the RAM not seated properly. I feel like I've pressed down enough pressure and anymore could cause damage.

My specs are:
Motherboard: GAM61SME-S2
Old RAM: ADQVE1A16
New RAM: KVR800D2N6/2G

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2012, 07:05 AM
What version of windows is on it??

dugimodo
09-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Well the windows version won't matter until he gets it to boot. If the RAM is inserted properly the clips should engage themselves and there is often a small click sound. The contacts on the bottom of the RAM should be only very slighty visible above the slot. I'm not sure what you mean by the chips being visible, they always are in my experience?

You haven't attempted to put the RAM in the wrong way around and damaged the slot perhaps?. If you are sure it's plugged in right and it still won't boot this one really sounds like you need to seek professional help as simply putting it back how it was before you started should have sorted everything out. Go over all your connections and cables and check they are all in firmly and you haven't knocked anyting loose. Check the graphics card is seated porperly and any power connections to it are secure as well. Although it's most likely RAM related due to what you've done it's also possible you've upset something else while working on the RAM.

Slankydudl
09-10-2012, 08:54 AM
yeah not pushing down the ram all the way can make some serious problems.

GameJunkie
09-10-2012, 09:20 AM
ram can only go in one way

inphinity
09-10-2012, 09:28 AM
ram can only go in one way

Where there's a will, there's a way!

ronyville
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Where there's a will, there's a way!

All is needed is a chisel and a hammer :p

Have you tried inserting only one 2GB Ram stick and see if the PC boots up?

Renegade
09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I might be mis-reading but the supported RAM list for that board only accepts DDR2-533 in 2GB modules... unless they've done a bios update. Your KVR800D2N6 is DDR2-800.

GameJunkie
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
the board might be only able to accept 1GB sticks, or wont accept 4GB of ram

mikebartnz
09-10-2012, 11:13 AM
What version of windows is on it??
dugimodo (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?14765-dugimodo) beat me to it.

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Only reason why it may not work now, is you installed the new ram the wrong way. And its killed something

ronyville
09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I might be mis-reading but the supported RAM list for that board only accepts DDR2-533 in 2GB modules... unless they've done a bios update. Your KVR800D2N6 is DDR2-800.

His old 1GB sticks are also ddr2 800 i think. which he says has been working until he decided to upgrade.

Renegade
09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
^ 1GB DDR2-800 are ok according to this http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2507#memory%20support%20list
2GB 533/667 are supported, but nothing in the 800 list.

wainuitech
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
The board should support the RAM according to the Spec's

1.2 DDR2 DIMM memory slots (supports up to 8GB memory)
2.Supports dual channel DDR2 800/667/533/400 DIMMs

What speedy mentioned in Post #11 could have happened. If the New RAM was installed incorrectly it may have done some damage.
By putting back the original RAM that was working OK beforehand, and that now doesn't work, could mean the Motherboard DIMM slots are fried or damaged in some way.

Agent_24
09-10-2012, 12:46 PM
RAM only goes in one way. There's an off-centre keyed notch, but if you push hard enough you can dent the plastic in the slot and get the thing in partially.

Paul.Cov
09-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah, RAM typically needs a very strong push to seat it, and I surprised myself by succeeding in 'seating' a stick the wrong way around once. I was amazed that the big plastic sorround where the RAM seats could actually deflect that much. All worked still once I'd corrected my blunder.

Another issue even if the sticks are right way around is that the tightness of the slots can sometimes mean that the centre of the splot has deflected down a bit, so it's seated soundly at either end, and the centre still isn't properly seated.

The only solution for this involves getting access to the rear of the mobo to give a good push from that side as well.

Agent_24
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Another issue even if the sticks are right way around is that the tightness of the slots can sometimes mean that the centre of the splot has deflected down a bit, so it's seated soundly at either end, and the centre still isn't properly seated.

The only solution for this involves getting access to the rear of the mobo to give a good push from that side as well.

Which is why I prefer (for new builds anyway) to load RAM into the board while it's still on the bench, then put it in the case.

Aah... the days of good old EDO and the side-loaded spring clips :D

Slankydudl
09-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Yep always before you put the mobo into the case.

Trev
09-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see pringlesman again. I think they maybe one of those one time posters.
:)

Slankydudl
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
I imagine a group of people sitting at a table all feeding information to the person at the head and eventually they all look around and realise hes not there or maybe its just the internet. But I have faith in pringlesman.

PringlesMan
09-10-2012, 08:47 PM

I think that this is my problem (well at least hoping). I'll try that and see if it works or else I'll go see a computer technician. Hopefully I don't need a new mobo.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Slankydudl
09-10-2012, 09:01 PM
See I knew my faith was well placed.

Trev
09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
:lol:
:)

PringlesMan
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Well I finally got around to pulling the motherboard out and pushing the RAM sticks down from both sides of the board and it's now working perfectly :) I really didn't want to pull out the board since dealing with all the cables inside can be so troublesome. I probably should replace my IDE hard drive with a SATA :lol:

Thanks everyone for the help!

Bryan
11-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Well done. Makes one feel real good when you solve such little but infuriating problems!

Agent_24
11-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Good to hear!

Driftwood
11-10-2012, 05:40 PM
You do realise you will have reinstall the operating system.

Agent_24
11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
You do realise you will have reinstall the operating system.

Why? He only upgraded the RAM...

Terry Porritt
11-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Years ago I cut up and planed some strips of rimu that could be slid between motherboards and the back mounting plates for use when changing heatsinks/cpu's/ram etc.

It means some force can be exerted on the motherboard in situ without causing damage, and saves the inconvenience of removing the motherboard.

CliveM
11-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Years ago I cut up and planed some strips of rimu that could be slid between motherboards and the back mounting plates for use when changing heatsinks/cpu's/ram etc.

It means some force can be exerted on the motherboard in situ without causing damage, and saves the inconvenience of removing the motherboard.

Great tip Terry :-)

Driftwood
11-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Why? He only upgraded the RAM...

True, but his last line was "I probably should replace my IDE hard drive with a SATA"

Agent_24
11-10-2012, 11:06 PM
True, but his last line was "I probably should replace my IDE hard drive with a SATA"

Ah, didn't see that one. Still, he could clone it, wouldn't require re-installation, unless there was the issue with AHCI drivers etc, though not an issue if run in IDE mode.

Of course, it would probably be a good excuse to reinstall Windows anyway and get a refresh for performance.