PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning

08-11-2001, 09:16 AM
The earlier posts on partitioning was interesting as I'm contemplating partitioning my drive just to let me experiment with Linux.

However, I note people partition their drives to have separate areas for data/OS/programmes etc.

Quick question: What are the benefits behind this - Does it make backups easier, or keep data safer if a programme falls over and stuffs up the registry??

Any comments would be muchly appreciated

Ta Paul

08-11-2001, 09:32 AM
Good info here, which is what I based my 20Gb drive on. http://www.aumha.org/a/partsz.htm . Safety is one thing as each partition has it's own FAT, so, in theory, if one part of a drive (physical drive) is damaged the others should be OK. Othere things like defrags are MUCH quicker for each drive as they will be smaller. And it makes some drives (partitions) needing less of that sort of maintenance.

08-11-2001, 01:06 PM
I have partitioned my main drive into OS / Programs / Data / Swap.
The benefits are that backing up generally only needs to be done on a regular basis on the Data partition. I generally zap my OS every few months because I try quite a lot of programs and so with the OS on one drive it makes the process easier. The drives tend to get less fragmented. The swap file has it's own partition which means it is not getting spread all over the place and causing fragmentation.