PDA

View Full Version : Games won't initialise on a Toshiba Satellite A135-S7406 running Vista Home

makka
04-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi. Many major problems with some Big Fish and iWin games not initializing. Reasons given are "Failed to open main.cs" and "failed to initialize. Shutting down"
These games are Hidden object games bought through WalMart and there are three or four games on each game disc and the only ones that fail to open are those that have the .cs and the .cs.dso files in them.
This .cs is meant to be Microsoft Visual C++ (aka C#...C Sharp) But the ,cs can also have something to do with Sierra and the DSO files are from the Tribes 2 Torque Engine.
This .cs and the .dso can be crashing up against each other as they are both used to initialize a game. Why are there two initializers in the same damn game?
More to the point is this: These games play fine on my computer but I am running AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.6 GHz CPU with 4GB of DDR2 800MB RAM and a Palit GeForce 520GT 1GB DDR3 on a Gigabyte MA74GM-S2 Mobo. Running Win7 x64 Ultimate. Coolermaster Xtreme Power 550W PSU.

The Toshiba Toshiba Satellite A135-S7406 which is a friend of mine is Running Vista Home Basic has a 1.67GHz Celeron and 1 GB of RAM. Of that RAM only 64MB is Allocated to the Video and Audio.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a135-s7406/4507-3121_7-33016428.html

Now the games are Legends 2 Hidden Objects and the game on that disc that doesn't play and has the main.cs file in it is 'The Broken Clues' That requires 128MB of RAM to play according to the game specs.
The other game that does not play on the replacement/exchange that my friend got from WalMart is the "Murder Mystery: Who killed Linda Neuman", and thats specs claim 512MB RAM. These are really sub standard games and they certainly are demanding a lot of RAM to play them. Hell, Battlefield 2: Bad Company doesn't need that and the graphics are far more complex.
The Toshiba sitting 'idle' at startup is using 56% CPU, 83% RAM (840MB) and has 73 Processes running on it.
Would I be correct in assuming that because there is only 64MB RAM Allocated to the Video processes that these games are never going to run on that computer unless BIOS is entered and that Allocated RAM is raised to 512MB........ this of course would require the upgrade of RAM by at least a 512MB stick.....preferably 1GB
It is the 64MB Allocated RAM that is not enough to get those games up and running, yes?
Advice most welcome and thanks. I could have asked my question in a couple of lines, but I filled in details that I think are necessary to get to the answer.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2012, 07:07 PM
I would ask here (http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/list.page)

Jen
04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
The Toshiba Toshiba Satellite A135-S7406 which is a friend of mine is Running Vista Home Basic has a 1.67GHz Celeron and 1 GB of RAM. Of that RAM only 64MB is Allocated to the Video and Audio.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a135-s7406/4507-3121_7-33016428.html

Now the games are Legends 2 Hidden Objects and the game on that disc that doesn't play and has the main.cs file in it is 'The Broken Clues' That requires 128MB of RAM to play according to the game specs.
Would I be correct in assuming that because there is only 64MB RAM Allocated to the Video processes that these games are never going to run on that computer unless BIOS is entered and that Allocated RAM is raised to 512MB........ this of course would require the upgrade of RAM by at least a 512MB stick.....preferably 1GB
It is the 64MB Allocated RAM that is not enough to get those games up and running, yes?Hi, and Welcome to PressF1. :)

The 128 MB RAM requirement is the system RAM, not video. The Toshiba Satellite has 1 GB of system RAM.

makka
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I would ask here (http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/list.page)

Speedy, hi. Thanks for that pointer to the Big Fish Forum. I've bookmarked it and will approach them with my question.
My friend has contacted On Hand Software who are the distributors of the games and has been told that all of her emails automatically went to the Spam box. On Hand Software have an horrendous Customer Support relationship.... non-existant. You can't complain about the service: There isn't one.
Thanks.

makka
04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Hi, and Welcome to PressF1. :)

The 128 MB RAM requirement is the system RAM, not video. The Toshiba Satellite has 1 GB of system RAM.
Thanks Jen. I considered that the RAM specs could have been System RAM but I am thinking more in the line of dedicated Graphics cards and the amount of RAM on them which is used to run games. Some have 4GB DDR5 and cost the earth.
As I mentioned, the System RAM that is available on my friends computer is 1013MB (1GB?) and 840MB of that is in use without games being played. There is only 180MB of available RAM and that should at least play The Broken Clues game that requires 128MB, but it doesn't: that is why I point the finger at that 64MB of Allocated RAM to Video and Audio. It is that 64MB that is being used for the Graphics. 64 MB? Might as well have a Radeon 7000.
But thanks for your reply. It is very frustrating and I have scoured the net and found that my friend is not the only person that has had the problem with these Big Fish games..... for over two years people have been contacting Big Fish and asking them just what it is that they are doing. Their game quality has deteriorated and people are complaining that the games are as good as Beta versions that haven't been tested properly before they are released on the world.
Use the public as Beta testers, perhaps?
Hmmmm.
I suggested to my friend who is in Canada that she try upgrading RAM by a minimum of 512MB. If that doesn't get the games playing well there is something wrong somewhere and I am 10000K away from Canada.
I might get a look in using Team Viewer.
Thanks once again. Much obliged.

icow
04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
System requirements take windows/the OS into account.