PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Update Nag...........Question..

Billy T
03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Team

I've transferred this question across from Chat because that thread had drifted across the boundary line somewhat.

I need to update my browser, hopefully to clear an issue on the TM website, and some other minor browser-related issues. This is my current version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E) which I know is rather geriatric in computer terms.

I need to know whether updating will be a mission and involve a heap of consequential reconfiguring of other functions, or whether the update leaves your personal preferences and configurations as they were. This is a working business computer for me so I can't afford to stop for some hours to fiddle with it, I need it to be working as it is now.

All I need is for somebody to tell me if updating is likely to cause me consequential grief, as if it is, I'll leave it until I have time to work through any issues.

Present version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E)

Yes, I know it is rather geriatric in computer terms. I intend to update with one of the recent versions on the PC World DVDs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Yorick
03-10-2012, 10:20 PM
This is just my way of doing things, tho it may work for you. Install a parallel browser and see if that works, if not then no damage you still have the original FF in place. I run Ice Weasel, that's a FF spin off from the Debian project. Windows version here. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/iw4win/) If that works all fine, then update FF. If that breaks you still have the Ice Weasel install to work with. Being a Debian thing it's very stable, the Debian project is well known for staying off the bleeding edge.

linw
04-10-2012, 08:36 AM
It's a brave person who will give you a watertight guarantee!

Being mission critical we would assume you have this machine imaged. Image it to give you a fallback and then update FF. (Latest is V15). Most of us update FF without giving it a second thought. You will notice some changes from 3.6 but settings should still be there.

But don't expect a new version to change the view of photos in TM as mine gives the same view as yours.

PS Don't forget the image:)

PPS All care but no responsibility:)

Nick G
04-10-2012, 08:49 AM
It's a brave person who will give you a watertight guarantee!

Being mission critical we would assume you have this machine imaged. Image it to give you a fallback and then update FF. (Latest is V15). Most of us update FF without giving it a second thought. You will notice some changes from 3.6 but settings should still be there.

But don't expect a new version to change the view of photos in TM as mine gives the same view as yours.

PS Don't forget the image:)

PPS All care but no responsibility:)
This.
Should work fine but no guarantees.

EDIT - just a question Billy, why don't you use the updater in firefox itself instead of downloading a newer (but still out of date) version from a pc world dvd?

Agent_24
04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
You will notice some minor changes to the GUI but the underlying settings should remain the same.

Billy T
05-10-2012, 08:37 PM

It appears that the TM photos problem could be as consequence of the new TM version. They notified me (after the event) that I was one of the 'lucky people' chosen to trial the beta (without asking first) and the appearance of the problem appears to coiincide with that momentous event. If that is actually the case, then Billy Jnr's computer is also trialling because I checked TM on that one and it has the same problem, and his FF is significantly more recent than mine. I didn't notice the change in TM because my desktop icon is set to open it at my watchlist.

Re Imaging, I was going to rely on a current restore point as I have them scheduled for every morning before I start work. If that is not good enough, I'll image first, but I'll delay upgrading FF until I know whether a restore point will be adequate!

The reason why I would use a PCW DVD version rather than the updater is that the latter is probably at the bleeding edge of FF development releases, while the DVD version should be relatively bug free and certainly sufficiently up to date for my purposes.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
05-10-2012, 09:14 PM
If this in relation to the other post where the pictures are not showing, it's not your browser Eg: Firefox.

Take a look at the picture below, Two different Browsers, both on the same page same time.

Ones Firefox and the other is Chrome -- So Which is which ??? both do the same thing (so does IE)

The problem is with Trademe.

Agent_24
05-10-2012, 10:42 PM
I would advise against an old version from a DVD, the newest direct from Firefox website will have the latest security patches and likely bugs fixed that were present in earlier versions (For example: the version on your DVD!)

KarameaDave
06-10-2012, 06:42 AM
I would advise against an old version from a DVD, the newest direct from Firefox website will have the latest security patches and likely bugs fixed that were present in earlier versions (For example: the version on your DVD!)
Very much +1

pctek
06-10-2012, 06:45 AM
I need to know whether updating will be a mission and involve a heap of consequential reconfiguring of other functions
The only thing likely to be an issue is add-ons. But they shouldn't be either.

I had loads at work, it was automatically updated all the time, never caused an issue, once or twice an add-on needed updating but it did that too without hassle.

Nick G
06-10-2012, 06:58 AM
+2, you can update from firefox itself, this will get you the latest version.

zqwerty
06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
The version BillyT should use is the E.S.R. one (Extended Service Release). It is made so that businesses do not need to keep upgrading and has long term support

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Agent_24
06-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The version BillyT should use is the E.S.R. one (Extended Service Release). It is made so that businesses do not need to keep upgrading and has long term support

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

That is a very good idea. I didn't even know that existed!

zqwerty
06-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I have posted about the E.S.R. version before and also about why I don't understand that if BillyT is so worried about problems he may have with upgrading he doesn't just try a later Portable version first and see that it works with his chosen add-ons/extension first before changing to the installed version.

He could just download and open on the desktop and try it out without upsetting his installed version, he just can't run them both at the same time.

To uninstall the Portable version you just delete the folder, couldn't be easier.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable