View Full Version : DSL master filter/splitter - how to find it?

03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Friends have just moved into a new house, there is nothing marked or labelled on any of the jackpoints, but the DSL modem will only get DSL sync in one phone jack, (naturally in the most hopeless place) and the phones work fine around the house without filters - eg there is no noise and the modem doesn't get kicked offline when the phones are in use....which leads me to think a master splitter (correct terminology?) must be installed somewhere.

Does anyone know how I'd go about tracking it down and hopefully connecting it to a different point, or removing it completely, or is this purely the realm of telephone techs? I can track down some Gel Splices if they are likely to be needed, but I'm not even sure how to go about finding where the splitter is located at this point!

Thanks. :)

03-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm the proud owner of one of these (http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/pliers/auction-519844761.htm)now too...

03-10-2012, 03:17 PM
It could be inside the ETP box on the outside of the house or if it was like the place we were living in it was under the house as there was no ETP.

03-10-2012, 03:21 PM
So best bet is look around and have a play? My knowledge about telephone related stuff is pretty minimal. :p

03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm the proud owner of one of these (http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/pliers/auction-519844761.htm)now too...Geez flash, even the installers just use pliers most of the time (I have a rusty old pair of those myself somewhere)It should definately be in the ETP, and most houses should have one. That's the white box on the outside of your house, probably using tri-wing security screws to keep the cover on.

Telecom standard is for the splitter to be installed there. The jackpoint for ADSL actually bypasses the splitter and connects directly to the incoming line, the output of the splitter feeds the phone jackpoints.A good way to wire your house if you have the standard 2 pair homelan cabling is to connect one pair (say blue/white) to the output of the splitter and the other (orange/white) to the phone line and to do this for every cable feeding every jack point, if you daisy chain them connect the spare pair through.

That way any Jack point can be used for either by just changing which pair you use, or installing a double jackpoint and wiring one pair to each. I might have the colours backwards, it's not important as long as you don't cross them over.

Edit: You will need 3 port connectors to achieve this, two port ones don't allow you to do anything but join two wires which is too limiting.

03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
That's great info, thanks. So buying something like this wouldn't be a silly idea either...?


03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Your call, you can get security bit's a lot cheaper than that. Or just get them out with a small flatblade and replace them with regular screws which is what I did. The box is made of plastic and can only hold the screws firm, generally you can get them out.

03-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Sweet as, thanks heaps. :)