PDA

View Full Version : New hard drive?

EviLClouD
02-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey i'm looking for a new 2TB drive to replace some 500GB's that i have...what would you guys recommend out of these 2?

WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN WD20EARX 2TB 64MB CACHE SATA3
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15517

or

SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB 6GB/S SATA3
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16199

Both have 2 year warranty and both are same price...
Seems like the seagate offers more performance for the money?

Thanks

Paul.Cov
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
If you're going to mount it permanently within a machine, then the Baracuda.

If it's going to be used intermittently for removeable or external storage, then the Green.

Sometimes the Greens can bring the system to a standstill while they spin up out of their 'Green' power saving mode, whereas the Barracuda's are typically not designed with energy savings in mind.

inphinity
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
The Seagate will perform better under most conditions. Both are good brands, though.

tmrafi
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Both have 2 year warranty and both are same price...
Seems like the seagate offers more performance for the money?

Thanks
Both are 64MB Cache SATA3 drives. Where did you get the info that Seagate offers more performance?
If it were me, I would spend a little more and get a WD Caviar Black. Better performance and 5 year warranty.

Nick G
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Both are 64MB Cache SATA3 drives. Where did you get the info that Seagate offers more performance?
If it were me, I would spend a little more and get a WD Caviar Black. Better performance and 5 year warranty.
That particular WD is a green drive, ie it spins down sometimes. Whereas that Barracuda does not spin down, so if offers better performance. No one said that Seagate was a better brand than WD, just that that WD drive wasn't as good as that Seagate.

nedkelly
02-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I myself have 4 of the WD 2tb greens, I have no issue with the spinning down because they are in a separate media server.
Im not a fan of Seagate I have lost quite a few over the years.

Agent_24
02-10-2012, 06:12 PM
I have been wondering the same thing myself.

I've been following a thread on the Seagate forums about the drives and the fact they make a chirping noise every so often, and the head load count increases quickly. It was found that using software to disable APM the noise and high load counts could be stopped.

Seagate released a firmware update to make the noise quieter but did not disable it completely.

I got the feeling it may be something necessary to the drive, otherwise why not release a firmware update to completely disable it - and am sceptical about the APM disable trick to stop the noise potentially causing more problems than it solves.

The WD Greens also have aggressive head parking, but WD supplies a program, WDIDLE3 that can change the parking\spin down timer in firmware so the drives park less often.

Interestingly, the timer can be disabled completely, resulting in no parking except that called by the OS itself, but some people found that completely disabling caused a severe data throughput performance hit.

This strange phenomenon doesn't help against the case that maybe these drives have to have this feature to work properly somehow. It seems odd but some evidence is there, I think.

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/wd30ezrx-and-aggressive-head-parking/

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/2TB-ST2000DM001-3TB-STBD3000100-Barracudas-Making-Weird-quot/td-p/161356

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/3TB-Barracuda-STBD3000100-Making-Weird-quot-chirp-quot-Sound/td-p/156353

EviLClouD
03-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow those seagate problems have put me off...might have to save up a bit more and get a WD black.
Thanks for your help guys!

dugimodo
03-10-2012, 11:04 AM
WD Black drives are noisy, I had one as an OS drive and it was occasionally irritating.
I have a collection of WD green 2TB drives in my PC and one Seagate green 2TB drive - all are quiet and reliable and fast enough.
For bulk storage space the performance difference isn't really an issue, only if you regularly transfer large amounts of data between drives does it really become noticeable.

Myself I'd recommend a fast 7200 RPM drive or an SSD for the main C: drive and for any high performance activities like professional Video editing, but for general storage of files and Media I'd go for the green drives. The worst symptom I've ever seen them have was a 2 second pause while the drive spins up when acessing it for the first time in a while.

WD Blue drives are also a good general purpose / system drive option and the new Red drives sound like a good choice for NAS enclosures or media servers (basically green drives with more cache and tweaked firmware).

EviLClouD
03-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I've got an 180gb ssd as os drive. So this would be secondary where all files/movies/songs etc will be stored. Might do occasional photo/video editing with it too...

How loud is the black? I've got an older sata 3gbs 1TB black and its not TOO loud...i guess as long the newer ones are of similar noise levels it should be fine?

Agent_24
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I think genuinely loud drives are a thing of the past, except maybe for 10k and 15k RPM server drives.

Paul.Cov
03-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Interesting to learn of further Seagate issues.

They had the self bricking drive firmware issue a few years back, plus the slur against their name from aquiring Maxtor... buying Maxtor is like paying someone to give you a handicap.

So far, apart from the spin-up issues with the Greens, I've had a good run with WD.

Slankydudl
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
seems to me that most drives are quite audible if you have the case next to the monitor, i now have 3 HD,s not including an ssd and i was ripping a dvd at x64 whilst do a virus check. I couldn't drown out the noise, not that the noise was super loud just irritating.