PDA

View Full Version : android (security) issue

Nhashon
30-09-2012, 11:37 PM
hey i have recently installed avast free edition on my samsung galaxy mini and i think it is a good program but i noticed on a daily base it go on and of for say for 5 seconds , and my phone speed has gone down a liitle bit , not too much. now should i do something about it or get sonething else . by the way avast current status say no viruses and also wireless dropouts is occuring on a daily base. thanks

stratex5
30-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Get lookout, so far i find it the best. Its what i use on my LG Optimus 3D.

stratex5
30-09-2012, 11:39 PM
I even tested it with some test viruses and it picked them all up

lakewoodlady
01-10-2012, 08:26 AM
I have Lookout, and it seems pretty good, has a "find my phone" feature and that might be quite useful one day.
Personally I wouldn't put Avast on anything.

LL

dugimodo
01-10-2012, 09:20 AM
I've had AVG and McCaffe on my Galaxy S, they both seemed to be doing something whenever I downloaded or installed anything.
But since resetting my phone I've installed no anti-virus, I keep my contacts stored on my google account and I keep no critical data on my phone. The chance of it getting a virus is small and the potential for losing anything important non-existant (for me anyway). Much like a PC it performs best if you don't overload it with unecessary software.

I would suggest if the Idea of losing the data on your phone makes your butt cheeks clench you should back it up right now, you should never rely on a phone (or anything else) as your only storage of anything important.

The potential for data loss/ Identity or account theft/ inconvenience is much greater on a PC than on a phone, it is certainly not a bad Idea to guard against it with a security program if you wish but I don't think it's really needed personally. Things may change if android virii become more prevalent.

Nhashon
01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Hey stratex5 and lakewoodlady , so you suggesting me to unistall Avast and get Lookout . And dugimodo i also follow your path never put contacts and personal info on phone and i actually have to , because it is a mobile and sometimes i have to email people .Thats way i got avast . And yes i agree with you viruses are most common on pc than mobile but looking currently android has lots of vulnerabilities , which scare me . So yeah hope it makes sense .

Chilling_Silence
01-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Can't be bothered with any AV for a phone, it's not worth it for the masses as it's usually based around FUD and for the better part just slows down your phone significantly, even on the latest quad-core CPU Tegra 3 devices.

If anything use the Lookout Ad Detector, or use it for the "find my phone" feature, but don't bother with their AV. This goes for any Cellphone, iOS / Android / Windows Mobile / Windows Phone.

Google has something called "Bouncer" which it uses to scan apps as they're uploaded to the Play Store, as well as on an ongoing basis. The Smartphone AV apps use similar technologies on the phone itself so unless you're installing Apps from a Non-Play Store source, you're largely wasting your time.
Of course there are always the very rare exception to the rule, but it's so minor it's not worth worrying about.

Nhashon
01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
hey ok i get it thanks .