PDA

View Full Version : Foldesr Freeze Computer

tirikatene
30-09-2012, 05:13 PM
If I try action any of the 4 x tabs in the properties of some of my desktop folders, the computer freezes.

Only way out is to go to Task Manager and end the process in there

However, not all of the folders I have created on the destop do this.

Also when I try to open some folders to access the files, a slow green line makes its way across the box and when it reached the end just sits there?

Any help much appreciated?

tirikatene
30-09-2012, 05:19 PM
When I go into properties on some of the desktop folders, if I click any of the 4 x tabs, the computer freezes?

The only way out seems to be to go to Task Manager and close the process in there, to start explorer again.

This doesn't happen to all the folders I have created on the desktop, but most of them.

Also when I do open a folder, a slow green line makes its way across the top of the box and when it reached the end just sits there?

Any help much appreciated - -

lakewoodlady
30-09-2012, 05:57 PM
What OS? Service packs? How much RAM?

LL

Paul.Cov
30-09-2012, 05:59 PM
The sloow green line is Windows progressing through an indexing and previewing process for the folder, and it's a total pain in the @#$%!

There is a way to minimise the effect of it.

Explore the folder.
Click on View
Customise this folder...
Optimise this Folder for: [Set to General Items]
Click the check box to do the same for all subfolders.

Whether or not this solves your issue with the Properties Tabs remains to be seen, or even if it will let you get that far in the process.

Good luck.

tirikatene
30-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Hi Lakewoodlady,

Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 2 - 4GB Ram

regards,

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Sometimes, if something freezes or crashes in my computer, you may have installed something (that adds some of its options to the context menu - when you right mouse on a file) that isnt compatible with the OS. ie Like if your OS is 64 bit and you install something that's 32 bit (and it adds its options to the context menu). Windows can be fussy what gets added to the context menu. If it doesn't like it, it can / or will crash it

tirikatene
01-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi Speedy - your comments triggered a thought that a few months ago I changed to a new modem that had an optional file sharing program on the installation disk.

Never really made use of it - so when I deleted it today - all folders on the puter returned to normal.

Thanks for raising that type of problelm cause

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Sweet, good to hear you got it sorted

zqwerty
02-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Brilliant diagnosis Speedy, truly amazing.

Anyone wondering why I am up so late? - got a sick grandchild I'm looking after, having to stay awake to check, food poisoning or sun-stroke, not sure!