PDA

View Full Version : Block kids use on facebook etc

turtle63
27-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Was just wondering what would be a good thing to control a kids use on the computer including blocking them using facebook etc as to young?
Dont want to use things like Cyber Nanny etc as have had bad experiences there and the reviews on those kind of programs aren't that great, just wondered if other people had experience with something that works well and is easy to setup for my client and monitor.
Any advice appreciated ta.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2012, 09:54 AM
If they've got a router block the site in the router

turtle63
27-09-2012, 10:00 AM
not sure if the parents use it or not, but yes I had thought of that.
Has anyone used the opendns.com thing?

turtle63
27-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Might try using the Hosts file as see on a site that seems to work ok, anyone else tried this?
http://cariblogger.com/2010/07/how-to-block-facebook-using-hosts-file/

jonovw
27-09-2012, 10:57 AM
i luv using the hosts file to block my little brother off games. :devil It definitely works

just make sure you block
http://www.facebook.com/
and
https://www.facebook.com/

CYaBro
27-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I've used the Norton (yes that's right Norton! :D) Online Famiy Safety parental control software for a few clients and it works really well.
You can manage access and monitor via the website and add/remove access to websites directly or with categories.
Microsoft also have a Family Safety thing as part of Windows Live but I've never used that.

wainuitech
27-09-2012, 11:41 AM
The Microsoft Family Safety works well and does stop any site you list. You can change it to allow when you want.

Theres two things you have to do.

Have the PC passworded so when you start it, you have to enter a password
Have a free Microsoft Live Account.

With the MS Account, DONT have a password the same as the PC, or one thats easy to guess.

After that any one trying to access a blocked site will be met with the screen below. ;)

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Hosts file, OpenDNS, or try something like a Gargoyle router.

SolMiester
27-09-2012, 03:54 PM
not sure if the parents use it or not, but yes I had thought of that.
Has anyone used the opendns.com thing?

This is what I was going to suggest...

turtle63
27-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I like the sound of the Microsoft one, haven't used it, seen it but not tried so that might be alright too, didn't know about the Nortons one as not a big fan of Nortons.
Well there's certainly plenty there to choose from guys, thanks for that.
Apparently this kid is pretty clever and looks for ways to get round all the things so she is going to use strict control on his usage :)
we have set her up with a separate user account as Administrator with password, would you setup the Microsoft live ID in his profile or her's?
We only gave him Standard user at this time, he gets the laptop for his birthday tomorrow.

8ftmetalhaed
27-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Also if possible block google searches for 'proxy' and all the related, because my old highschool had to do that when people figured out flash games worked via proxies.

turtle63
27-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Yep sort of remember that when my mate was working at girls college, thanks..
Those kids are pretty clever!!!

ChazTheGeek
28-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Can you still block it from CMD?
You know: Ping Facebook.com
Then they'll get the ping code and type it into a web browser and hey, you're on facebook.
That gets you past web blockers at school anyway....:)
Not that I use it or anything...

turtle63
28-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Thats funny of course :) Love it :)
maybe the opendns.com might help there?

Alex B
29-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Can you still block it from CMD?
You know: Ping Facebook.com
Then they'll get the ping code and type it into a web browser and hey, you're on facebook.
That gets you past web blockers at school anyway....:)
Not that I use it or anything...

The ping code? I take it you mean the IP address? Thats not hard to block.

ChazTheGeek
29-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Yep. Ok. The schools blocking system is pretty lame then.
I can't believe they allow CMD on student accounts.