PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with virtual environment

Nomad
25-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi, I have a SCSI film scanner that is at best buggy with a "hacked" WinXP or Vista driver to work in Win7 x64. So .. I am looking at a free solution if there is one and that can run on my current Win7 in virtual mode, such as running WinXP.

I won't stuff up my Win7 will I? The reason I am not wanting to use dual boot. If I uninstall the thing it will be gone right and if I reinstall it, it will be there again .. is it like installing and uninstalling another app?

Cheers.

pcuser42
25-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Have you tried Windows 7's XP Mode?

inphinity
25-09-2012, 04:51 PM
So you want to run Win7 in a virtual environment, on a Win7 host? VMware Player or Oracle Virtual Box.

Nomad
25-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Cheers ...

Haven't tried XP mode, the others have been hacking the drivers to make it work or purchasing 3rd party scanning software.
In Win7 x64, the drivers simply won't even install. It does ring a bell when new hardware is detected but that's about it, it just sits there with a blank face. Also there is the Nikon Scan software too that won't install either. You could use Vista version scanning software but it's buggy. It crashes the scanner and say there is a hardware fault and simply blocks it from functioning (every now and then). So every few frames of scanning needs a system reboot.

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Whats the brand/model of the film scanner??If no drivers are installed atm, double click on its entry in device manager. Then go to the details tab then change it to hardware ids. Copy whats here into google or in here. You maybe able to find a driver or something for it this way. Does anything come up, if you go to update driver and let windowsupdate find something? The prob will be, youre using 64 bit. Even if the drivers are 32 bit and its been hacked, that'll be the reason why it fails. It needs to be 64 bit and signed

Nomad
25-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Scanner is Nikon Coolscan 4000. Been that tried that with google. People have been hacking the drivers to work or simply purchasing a 3rd party software which provides its own drivers.
Windows Update doesn't work. Nikon basically have ceased film scanner support now and have officially said there is no intention to provide further drivers.

One method was to get the demo 3rd party software and fool it by using that driver, that didn't for my model.
The one I used was install the Vista driver which lets you go thru the install process but won't function but you had to edit the INF file to force it to install.

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Does it have firewire or USB on it?? Did you try this? (http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html)

gary67
25-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Which version of Win7. If home premium you will need a third party virtual program. There is one that has XP built in but can't remember what it is

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Pro and Ultimate / enterprise support XP mode

gary67
25-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Pro and Ultimate / enterprise support XP mode

I meant one of the free virtual programs has it. I do remember it being on here when win7 came out but can't remember which one it was now

inphinity
25-09-2012, 10:37 PM
There is one that has XP built in but can't remember what it is

Not legally, there isn't.

Agent_24
26-09-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm not sure XP mode in Windows 7 will actually be able to access something like a SCSI scanner properly, or even at all.

I would dual-boot.

Just add some old spare HDD if you don't want to mess with partitions.

SolMiester
26-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure XP mode in Windows 7 will actually be able to access something like a SCSI scanner properly, or even at all.

I would dual-boot.

Just add some old spare HDD if you don't want to mess with partitions.

I was going to say, Im not sure if the free hypevisors can emulate SCSI controllers and pass them through to the guest...I think agent_24 has the best advise, throw in an extra HDD and install XP on that!

Nomad
26-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Ah .. ok.

Gary - I tried that method, cheers. It looks like my method was that. I did install Vista 32 driver before, that method you posted had the adjusted inf/dll file. My method was to edit for it manually. It said that my driver currently was up to date... It's SCSI.