PDA

View Full Version : WDTV Live HD media player updated today...

BBCmicro
25-09-2012, 11:56 AM
...has BBC iPlayer but it still won't serve to NZ :(

WD has also updated the Youtube interface - and made a hash of it IMHO. Instead of bringing up pages of listings with small thumbnails, it now brings up one very large thumbnail and one not-so-large thumbnail as the next one. Then you have to scroll across to see what else is available - one very large and possibly slow thumbnail at a time

They've also rejigged the search function - a non-qwerty keyboard which brings up 4 suggested letters around the one you've just chosen. The suggested letters overwrite the 'true' letters. I did a search on 'abbado' (the famous conductor, with dozens of videos) and after I hit 'a' there was no 'b' on the keyboard! I had to scroll away a few positions to clear the suggested letters, then 'b' appeared in its proper position.

I suppose it might appeal to the twittering classes, but to me the new Youtube interface is a giant leap backwards. Thankfully, the Sony TV has a really good Youtube interface, much better than the original WD one

When playing a video and bringing up the transport controls, there is a button labelled 'cc'. Can anyone tell me what it stands for. I clicked it and it went red. I clicked it again and it stayed red :confused: What did I do?

Renegade
25-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Mine's had that wonky keyboard "feature" since at least the last update, maybe even the one before. Haven't used it much, but thought it was annoying crap.

SolMiester
25-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I want to get one of these extenders so I can play stuff directly from my NAS?, do you guys use a wireless keyboard via the USB port?

BBCmicro
25-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Hmm... never thought of trying a USB keyboard. Perhaps that's something they've added in the firmware update

Unfortunately I only have a PS2 keyboard so can't try it