PDA

View Full Version : 2nd email account

Brucem
25-09-2012, 11:08 AM
I am secretary of our Probus club, and it has been suggested that we should have a Gmail account to make tranferring to a new secretary easier. I am on broadband (Snap), and I am not sure that I can access a gmail account.

Please advise

jonovw
25-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't know of any isps that block gmail

you should be able just try it and find out

CYaBro
25-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Anyone can setup and access a gmail account, doesn't matter who your internet provider is.
Just go to www.gmail.com and sign up, they have all the instructions on there on how to setup the email account on your computer, if that's how you want to use it.
A lot of people just use the gmail account on the website.

coldot
25-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Agree.
I have two gmail accounts.
1. They are easily accessed online almost anywhere from internet explorer, firefox and other browsers.
2. I have one accessible from my Android smartphone
3. At home both of them are configured to check every 10 minutes in my Thunderbird email client (or from MS Outlook or other mail client)
Note - it pays to check the SPAM box from time to time. I find that they occasionally think a multiple recipient email is SPAM.

Nick G
25-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Agree with all of the above.
Anyone can have a gmail account, its purely web based, free to set up, ease to use.

pctek
25-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I am secretary of our Probus club, and it has been suggested that we should have a Gmail account to make tranferring to a new secretary easier. I am on broadband (Snap), and I am not sure that I can access a gmail account.

Please advise
Whats wrong with something like admin@clubdomainname.co.nz?

user
25-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Surely that would involve buying a domain name?

Gmail is free. I use it for a number of clubs and events as a means of backups of important files like the database of a club. Other committee members can access the gmail and download the backup files if they wish. If you want sole access to the account, simply change the password when a new secretary is elected. You also have 'G drive' storage of 5Gb for backups now.

CYaBro
25-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Gmail is free. I use it for a number of clubs and events as a means of backups of important files like the database of a club. Other committee members can access the gmail and download the backup files if they wish. If you want sole access to the account, simply change the password when a new secretary is elected. You also have 'G drive' storage of 5Gb for backups now.

Domain names only cost around $20 +gst per year so not really an excuse to not have one.
If you have your own domain you can setup a free Google Apps account and have up to 10 free email accounts with that domain name using the gmail interface.

pctek
25-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes. And if a business or organisation it is professional to use @club.org.nz or @business.co.nz or whatever. Not @ISP.co.nz.

user
25-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes. And if a business or organisation it is professional to use @club.org.nz or @business.co.nz or whatever. Not @ISP.co.nz.

We are talking about Probus remember.

user
25-09-2012, 08:27 PM
That is not to belittle Probus, merely to point out that many clubs are not in need of a 'professional appearance' requiring a domain name. Half the clubs I am associated with do not have a domain name and don't see the need for one. Gmail addresses are used and are very satisfactory for what the club wants to achieve.

Iantech
25-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe so, buts its not what the OP was asking about ah. Tons of non-profit and even some businesses still use @ISP.co.nz, @hotmal.com, @gmail.com and similar.