PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Image restore

bk T
24-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Scenario: HDD Disk 0: 500 GB - system disk C:\ with 100 MB (EFI system partition created by Win 7 ) - only about 60GB of disk space is used and still have about 410GB of free disk space. An image was created with Win7's built-in utility and stored in another HDD, E:\

Now, I've got a new 120 GB SSD drive and would like to replace the 500GB with this new 120GB SSD drive. I remember vaguely that someone here mentioned that it is not possible to restore the image from a larger disk to a smaller disk, which is in my case now. If it cannot be done, is there any other ways to transfer my present system to the new SSD drive? I really don't want to do a clean install of Win 7 and re-install, configure all my software programs from scratch. Can Active@ transfer the image to my new disk? I can borrow a Active@ CD from my mate.

Cheers

linw
25-09-2012, 12:20 AM
google will give you plenty of answers but, in a nutshell, you can't restore to a smaller partition.

What you could do is shrink the C: partition to around 100GB and leave the rest as 'unallocated'. Then image c:, copy it to a USB drive, and create a repair disk.

Then do the hardware swap, boot from the repair disk and you should find it will sort what you want to do itself, including finding the image on the USB drive. At least that is what I found.

Good luck.

pctek
25-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Scenario: HDD Disk 0: 500 GB -
Now, I've got a new 120 GB SSD drive and would like to replace the 500GB with this new 120GB SSD drive. Can Active@ transfer the image to my new disk? I can borrow a Active@ CD from my mate.

Cheers
It sure can!

wainuitech
25-09-2012, 09:04 AM
From past experience, if you make the Image using the inbuilt Windows7 then the drive you are putting it back on has to be the same size or larger, if its going on a smaller drive it throws a fit about not enough room, even though there is.

Active @ though can , but it wont do a image created by windows 7 , it has to be a active@ image.

So what you could do is make an image using active@, and then transfer that back to the smaller drive.

bk T
25-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Thank You All.

Nomad
25-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Yep been there with a smaller HD ... :D
Also this, if you restore just the windows partition right ... it will wipe your other partitions as well automatically even if you didn't choose them to backup. It sets it back to the day you did the backup.

Now if you have the same or larger HDD ...
If you had 1 HDD. 2 Partitions. 50GB and 50GB.
The first is Windows.
The second is your own files etc ...
You only chose to backup the first one.

You now restore.
The first windows will be there (plus that hidden systems partition).
Windows will boot up.
But your other partition will be the same 50GB size but it will be blank (wiped) :D

bk T
25-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Are you referring to the image created by Win7 or Active@? I've used Win7 to create an image and stored in the 2nd partition and it restores perfectly OK - meaning on the C:\ (+the hidden partition) and my data in D:\ stays untouched.

Nomad
25-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I was meaning Win7 backup proggie... oh really ... my drive was wiped clean. The same physical HD, diff partition.

bk T
25-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Yup. Same physical HDD, different partition; done it several times, without any issues. BTW, where did you store your Win7 image? I put the image on the second partition (same HDD).

wainuitech
25-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I put the image on the second partition (same HDD). Hope it was only for temp storage ?

Putting it on the same drive is not a good idea for a backup - If that drive failed everything would be lost. Backups NEED to be on another Drive or location to be safe.

bk T
25-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks, I'm aware of that. Anyway, it's not my main PC, just another 'secondary machine' mainly for testing purposes - don't have a spare HDD for backup, after all, no important data.

Nomad
26-09-2012, 10:46 AM
BTW, where did you store your Win7 image? I put the image on the second partition (same HDD).

I put the image on the 2nd internal physical drive ... Guess that was why .....

bk T
26-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Just experimented to create a Win7 image on a USB external drive and restored successfully without wiping out the second partition - D:\

Nomad
26-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Perhaps I backed up the Partition 1 and blank Partition 2 ... dunno ... now I play it safe with 2 physical drives (internally) and one external in my drawer ...

PeterQ
27-09-2012, 08:14 AM
I have the same senario but shrunk my second hardrive E from 1TB down to 116Gb and then carried out a win7 backup from C drive to the smaller partition on E, now i want to put a 120 SSD in and run my systems OS in that, so would that work restoring it to the SSD?

bk T
27-09-2012, 09:46 AM
It's the C:\ size that matters - you may have to shrink the C:\ size to <120GB. haven't tried it myself. I'm going to borrow the Active@ CD to do the transfer.

PeterQ
27-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Could this be the way to go ?

Intel® Data Migration Software