PDA

View Full Version : Freeview|HD tuner/DVR under $300 - is Tivo still the way to go?

wratterus
24-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Friends are moving to Freeview|HD and want an all in one DVR/Tuner device that's easy to use. Tivo still the best bet?

dugimodo
24-09-2012, 04:48 PM
At the price yeah, especially if you can get it at $200 which seems to be a common weekend special. The only other devices in the same price range are set top boxes that can record to USB so you still need a suitable external hard drive or flash drive to record to.
As long as they have a broadband connection and can connect to the TiVo via a cable or wireless. It doesn't work without internet connectivity.

I haven't watched live TV since getting my Tivo.

wratterus
25-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks. :)

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah we've recently picked one up off TradeMe for $170. The two are now linked, so it means SWMBO can record shows in the living room, then head off to bed and finish watching them there if she gets sleepy. Fantastic stuff!

KarameaDave
25-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah we've recently picked one up off TradeMe for $170. The two are now linked, so it means SWMBO can record shows in the living room, then head off to bed and finish watching them there if she gets sleepy. Fantastic stuff!Luxury!

wratterus
25-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Nice...there aren't many on TM at the mo, I'm watching a few, but I can't even find them on Noel Leeming or Bond & Bond's websites.

Do you know how 'forgiving' the tuners are? It's a fringe area...in the same area I've had TVs with built in tuners work fine with a 43 element aerial, but a USB tuner struggle.

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Nice...there aren't many on TM at the mo, I'm watching a few, but I can't even find them on Noel Leeming or Bond & Bond's websites.

Yeah the guy that I picked it up from had gone to one of those major chains and bought up some 200 demo models for cheap from each store.
Was a bit of a PITA to get the new one added on to our existing TiVo Online Account (So they could be linked on the LAN here) because it'd previously been registered. However once that was done, it's been fantastic, I'm thrilled with it! TiVo itself is still fantastic, no issues with it at all, quite reliable.

Previously had a couple of cheaper no-name chinese brands whatever that were nowhere near as reliable or good with the multi-recording + playback.

Best part of it is there was something on TV2, TV3 and 4 all playing at the same time a couple of weeks back that the Mrs wanted to watch, but we were gonna be out at the time and you can only record two channels while watching a third.... So she recorded the 3rd on the bedroom TiVo. Problems solved!
...also meant I had a solid nights worth of gaming the next night while she caught up on TV ;)

wratterus
25-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Haha ideal. :D

wratterus
08-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, bought a Tivo 320, paid a little more that we really wanted ($279 incl postage) but it was brand new, came with the wireless adapter etc so that's fine.

Set it up, went through great, found the registration etc a breeze. For some reason it wouldn't pick up TV3 plus 1, but that's a minor niggle.

What isn't a minor niggle is this. :p Tivo went fine for 3 days, then it got stuck on a grey screen. Power cycled, comes up with the welcome screen, then grey. Left unplugged overnight, same thing. Removed wireless adapter etc, same thing. Had a look online and basically this issue appears to be a faulty hard drive. I found 'kickstart codes' for Tivos, but was a bit confused by them, and not sure which ones worked with the Tivo320 I've got here. Things like a SMART test etc, which would be handy to be able to run, however it doesn't seem to get 'far enough'
to even do anything like that.

I've emailed the chap I bought it off, I see replacement hard drives are $75 off trademe, would that be the best way forward?

dugimodo
08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
If it's new it should be possible to get it fixed under warranty, might be a bit difficult with you not having purchased it directly but maybe the guy you purchased it off can help. It could also be worth having a look around the Tivo website to see if there is any service information. Some companies won't honour warranty periods for 2nd hand goods and others just go from the serial number and age of the item and if it's still under warranty they honour it.

An example is some faulty corsair RAM I had, I had no receipt or proof of purchase but went direct to corsair with the serial number and they RMAd it without question. I had expected to have to contact my supplier and ask for a receipt but it wasn't needed.

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Yeah basically if it's new, it's a warranty issue, send the whole thing back :)

wratterus
08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Sweet, will wait to hear back from the chap I bought it off and see about going that route.

wratterus
09-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Right, so can't get hold of Mr Asia who I bought the Tivo off... :angry

What's your thoughts on the best way forward from here? Would cloning the drive from another Tivo be an option, or should I fork out $75 for a 'replacement' drive, which I assume is just a cloned drive anyway.

I think the Tivo was a giveaway from Telecom - is it worth trying that route?

Chilling_Silence
09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Ring TiVo directly :) The NZ-based service is pretty ass, but they'll then send an internal email message to their Aus service team who are pretty damn good! :)

wratterus
10-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Right, called Tivo NZ support (which seems to be Telecom anyway 0800 MY TIVO) and they didn't want to have a bar of it as I'm not the person who originally received it. :angry

Is it worth trying to contact the Australia support directly?

Chilling_Silence
10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Nah I've definitely done it, we purchased our second one from TradeMe, the indian dude had bought a whole ton of ex-display models from Harvey Normans. If they ask for proof of purchase just send them the proof you bought it second-hand and I think I also sent them a phone number of the TiVo with the TSN number.

wratterus
10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
OK, will try again. Thanks.

wratterus
10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
They really don't want to hear about it haha. :badpc:

Basically without the original proof of purchase, they won't do anything. Won't even tell me if it is or isn't under warranty after I supplied them with the TSN #. Any other ideas?

Sanco
10-10-2012, 02:50 PM

Do you know how 'forgiving' the tuners are? It's a fringe area...in the same area I've had TVs with built in tuners work fine with a 43 element aerial, but a USB tuner struggle.

I got one from B&B after getting advice right here - and it was bang on!

Best device hands down in my experience, the others either have an ext HDD (you got to buy separately) or cost an arm and a leg.

B&B do not list tivo on their website any longer but they have them at their shop and on weekends (or if you have a good source at the shop) you can grab one at around $200.00 - a steal.

I have found Tivo extremely stable, crystal clear picture and with a very extensive EPG.

Hope this helps
Sanco

Ops, just realised this evolved into an " I bought one and now have an issue" type of conversation. My apologies.

wratterus
10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
No problem Sanco, I was very impressed with the Tivo too (for three days). :p

This is in no way a reflection on the device, just the NZ guys poor after sales service...

dugimodo
10-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I wonder who the manufacturrer is, the warranty should still apply. From this forum on an aussie site http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1741205 I found this

received following from TiVo Support (pretty much within 48 hours!). Sharing for future reference:

"The standard 1 year warranty applies on any TiVo received via redemption offer from our partners. This warranty begins from the purchase date of the associated product/package. The warranty stays with the TiVo if a sale occurs, so the remainder of the 1 year warranty is transferred along with ownership. For products purchased with an extended warranty you will need to check with the extended warranty provider if the extended warranty is transferred."

dugimodo
10-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Every attempt I made to find a NZ service agent just goes back to telecoms My Tivo number, if they are the only service agent they should be more helpful.
It would proably help if the guy you bought it from would respond and tell you where it was purchased from. Maybe contacting the aussie support could be worth a try.

Chilling_Silence
10-10-2012, 03:37 PM
*Should* be more helpful, but their frontline stuff is pretty damn useless. Aussie Support weren't directly contactable, it's a kind of "Second level support" that the frontline guys only have access to via email.

Hang in there though, it's worth it! :)

wratterus
10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Wow OK max development this afternoon, Mr Asia emailed me back (yay!) and supplied me with his TC account #, I was then able to give that info to TC, they looked it up, after I said what had happened and what I'd done to remedy it, they said they will send a new unit out, and a courier sticker to send the old one back.

They even said that they are replacing any faulty units, even if they are over a year old, cause of "all the problems with them". Not too sure what problems, but I'm not complaining.

I think the main thing, if anyone is buying units off TradeMe, would be to make sure if it's a giveaway Tivo, get the persons phone number or TC account number, or an original proof of purchase if it was bought.

Chill must have been dealing with a very helpful person, I would have got nowhere without the original owners account #.

Thanks for all your help with this, especially Chill. Where's the rep button. :p

Sanco
11-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Excellent outcome Wratterus! Persistence pays in the end, there's an obvious hope most customers would be easily palmed off - not very good business practice.

Hope you have a much more satisfying experience with your new unit bud.

Chilling_Silence
11-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Sweet as, glad they're fixing it up for ya! :)

Let us know how you go with it when it arrives! They're awesome little devices, and for $200-ish you REALLY can't go too wrong :D

skeptile2
11-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I realise that it's a little more than $300 (more like $650), but we have one of these, and it's absolutely amazing.
http://www.magictv.co.nz/index.html
and you can *custom* firmware which allows the "skip forward 10 minutes" button, to be turned into a "skip forward 3 mins" button, which basically allows you to skip all ad breaks immediately.

Skeptile

dugimodo
11-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I've been meaning to research the add skipping function of the TiVo actually, the hardware is capable of recording without adverts in overseas markets I believe but has the functionality disabled for NZ as a requirement from our broadcasters. If there is some way to get this working it would be awesome.