PDA

View Full Version : Mobicity Prices query

bluenose
24-09-2012, 09:32 AM
A couple of weeks ago I asked advice on buying a new smartphone for SWMBO and she has been delighted with the one I bought for her. Now I am looking to purchase one for myself.{Phone 'that is' not another SWMBO}.
I have been looking at prices online and notice that "Mobicity" prices are considerably different than all other dealers prices.

MY query is "Are they genuine?' or is there something not Kosher??? Any further advice welcome. Thanks.

Bluenose.

gary67
24-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I have just bought my new Nokia Ashe 303 from them. I took 2 weeks as it was out of stock, however the tracking service was awesome that they provided I could track my phone all the way from Hong Kong and the responses I received to my questions via their live chat were spot on too.

It is the first time I have used them and I can highly recommend them

Nick G
24-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Never used them myself, but a friend bought a phone from there, and he had no issues.

bluenose
24-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Gary. Hope you are settling into your new job ok. Good luck wth it.

My concerns were with prices. They seem very different to other retailers. Also how is payment made. I prefer direct from my bank acct to the sellers acct. Is that possible?

I don't mind waiting if the item is out of stock as long as I am kept upto date.

I was going to suggest using PM but I can't see that facility on this page. Am I missing something?

bluenose
24-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks also to you Nick G. You must have answered whilst I was typing to Gary's answer. All replies and comments are welcome.

Nick G
24-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Gary. Hope you are settling into your new job ok. Good luck wth it.

My concerns were with prices. They seem very different to other retailers. Also how is payment made. I prefer direct from my bank acct to the sellers acct. Is that possible?

I don't mind waiting if the item is out of stock as long as I am kept upto date.

I was going to suggest using PM but I can't see that facility on this page. Am I missing something?
Click on the 'Gary67' part of his post, and you should see a private message option.

Chilling_Silence
24-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah they're fine, and genuine, just parallel imported. Used them to order a phone for a mate of mine. Communication is surprisingly good for that kind of an outfit.

What phone were you looking at getting for yourself?

bluenose
24-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi Chill I am leaning towards S3 similar to what I bought for the "Boss". All of her family live in Oz and if she had been using landline to keep in touch over the last couple of weeks it would have cost a fortune. Daughter and grand daughter both in Hospital so lots af txting going on daily.

sahilcc7
24-09-2012, 03:00 PM
S3 goes for around $700+ used on trademe.

gary67
24-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I did bank transfer you can also do credit card

bluenose
24-09-2012, 10:46 PM
OK. I have placed an order with the company in question. $699 +$14 carriage. Just wait now and see what HM Customs have to say.

I must say that they (Mobicity) do respond to phone and emails very quickly. Very impressed. I look forward to playing with the new toy.

Thanks for your help guys. Most appreciated.

GameJunkie
25-09-2012, 12:21 AM
im interested to know how this works out for you, what customs do/dont do

notechyet
25-09-2012, 06:12 AM
im interested to know how this works out for you, what customs do/dont do
So am I interested to see what you get charged at the customs.

gary67
25-09-2012, 09:15 AM
You shouldn't get charged anything your not the importer Mobicity are

bluenose
25-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I must admit that I also have an interest in regard to Customs, but Gary67's comment seems logical.

Will keep you informed.

GameJunkie
25-09-2012, 10:32 AM
great, thanks

nmercer
25-09-2012, 12:11 PM
You shouldn't get charged anything your not the importer Mobicity are

MobiCity don't include gst on their prices to make them look cheaper :)

Given that the phone will be addressed to you, you are the importer and you will be liable for the gst on top of the phone and on top of the courier fee + the MAF bio security fee. I'd be surprised if you don't pay since the items amount will be clearly stated on the invoice and shipping documents

If you don't have to pay the gst you're lucky but really its just ripping off every other taxpayer who does pay tax.

CliveM
25-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Given that the phone will be addressed to you, you are the importer and you will be liable for the gst on top of the phone and on top of the courier fee + the MAF bio security fee. I'd be surprised if you don't pay since the items amount will be clearly stated on the invoice and shipping documents

If you don't have to pay the gst you're lucky but really its just ripping off every other taxpayer who does pay tax.

That is my understanding of the situation. You are the importer Mobicity is the exporter.

inphinity
25-09-2012, 02:42 PM

This is what most people misunderstand with MobiCity. They are *not* a New Zealand company (despite having a New Zealand mailing address). You won't get a GST invoice (so no claiming it as a GST-rated expense if you're GST registered), and you may be directly liable for GST & customs charges if the declared order value is over NZ$399. Whether they declare the full value or not, I'm unsure. Customs have a flat import fee which is currently $38.07, plus GST at 15%. So, if customs decide to hit your parcel for fees (they don't always, and I'm unsure the specifics of why), an order of $713 ($699 + $14 shipping) becomes $751.07 + GST = $863.73. Technically, that's the total you should end up paying. But customs might let you off. I hope they do :)

That said, MobiCity have a very good reputation when it comes to genuine product, service, etc, and they do have an agreement with an NZ servicing/repair agency so you have local warranty support for your product.

gary67
25-09-2012, 08:53 PM
My phone cost me $219, that was the price advertised on Mobicity and that's what I paid

CliveM
25-09-2012, 09:38 PM
My phone cost me $219, that was the price advertised on Mobicity and that's what I paid

Customs only take an interest if the value exceeds $NZ400.

bluenose
26-09-2012, 09:56 AM
At no point in this thread have I asked about payment, or non payment, of import duties, taxes or GST. I had no need to because as anyone who has dealt with the company will tell you that it is explained clearly when you place an order that you liable for all duties and taxes.

Before retirement I was responsible for obtaining on an emergency basis, expensive parts from around the world including that island to the north of Tasmania. I also had to arrange in some cases for emergency customs clearance. I have also imported Amateur Radio equipment, Model Railway components and Photographic items. So I have a fair understanding of what is required to import into New Zealand.

My questions were answered in the first few postings so thank you for your answers. If you wish to discuss such items as "Ripping off" those who pay duties, then please start a thread elsewhere.

Thanks to those who answered my questions.

Bluenose.

inphinity
26-09-2012, 10:02 AM
At no point in this thread have I asked about payment, or non payment, of import duties, taxes or GST. I had no need to because as anyone who has dealt with the company will tell you that it is explained clearly when you place an order that you liable for all duties and taxes.

Yes, you did. You specifically asked if they are genuine, because their prices differ so dramatically from most other sellers, and the reason is because local businesses selling direct to the end user have to account for any import and customs fees in their prices, while MobiCity and others like them don't.

bluenose
26-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Thank you for pointing that out but I should have made it clearer that I was referring to the company, not the prices. It is obvious that GST etc. has to be added. to get the total price

bluenose
06-10-2012, 05:30 PM
As promised here is a report on the import of the Samsung S3 phone. I was able to enquire in regard to the progress of the item. I was kept informed as to the whereabouts of the phone right upto the time it was cleared through NZ customs and received by the courier. As I expected I had to pay duty and taxes etc. By the time the item was in my hand I reckoned that I saved just under $100.00.

The following day the "Red Shed" advertised the same item for around $850. but also stated in the Advert that the price would be going up to over 1k. Last night in the same item was offered at the Red Shed in Queensgate (LH) for under $800.00. So "Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer pick. In other words! There will always be something better arriving in the next few weeks.

Bluenose.

nmercer
07-10-2012, 11:59 AM
i think one of the advantages of buying in NZ (assuming you are buying for non-business use) is the Consumer Guarantees Act which effectively gives you an included extended warranty for arguably 3-4 years extra

Billy T
08-10-2012, 09:31 PM
I've just bought an $A850 phone from MobiCity on behalf of Billy Jnr, and my experience is this:

All prices are in $A so you can add around 20% for $NZ (that is just an approximation, I can't be bothered working out the exchange rate).

If you buy online from NZ for delivery in NZ, you will pay in $A and be whacked 15% GST plus Duty on entry to NZ, but if it is not picked up by NZ Customs, you will escape GST. I have had $2000 instruments and various other items shipped in from the US and no GST levied, but one recent item copped it, so it is a bit of a lottery..

If you buy from NZ for delivery in Oz (to a family member or friend), there is no GST or Duty levied (Billy Jnr benefits from this). I do not understand why this is, but I have the documentation to prove it.

There can be delays in the MobiCity transaction process, I bought on Friday and they give three days for their verification process to be completed then reverse the sale and pay the money back in full to the originating account (protection against credit card fraud). That is all very well, but serious lag in the verification process ran my purchase out to four days so I have yet to see if it has gone ahead.

Their verification process is very clever and effectively prevents fraudulent charges against harvested credit card numbers or stolen cards. Top marks for ingenuity. Only the card owner can verify the purchase, you will find out why if you make a purchase, but I wouldn't publicise it here, you might kill the golden goose.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

nmercer
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I didn't think there was duty on electronics into NZ..

nmercer
08-10-2012, 10:25 PM
RE the Australian not paying GST. I believe the personal goods limit going into AU is much higher than it is into NZ

gary67
09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
My Nokia Ashe 303 was priced in NZ$ on Mobicity and the price was GST inclusive

inphinity
09-10-2012, 09:17 AM
My Nokia Ashe 303 was priced in NZ$ on Mobicity and the price was GST inclusive

None of MobiCity's prices include GST. Due to the low value of the product in question, GST & duties will not be added by Customs, so the advertised price + shipping is all you would pay when importing it as a personal item.

Billy T
09-10-2012, 06:15 PM
None of MobiCity's prices include GST. Due to the low value of the product in question, GST & duties will not be added by Customs, so the advertised price + shipping is all you would pay when importing it as a personal item.

Yes, but they are warehousing their products in Australia, which could incur duty under Aussie rules, though maybe not, but when they sell to an Aussie, if their GST works like ours does, they should be adding GST. I didn't pay GST on the phone, because it wasn't coming into NZ, but it will be delivered GST free in Oz, which I don't reaslly understand, but I'm not going to argue with it.

I don't see a $A900 phone as "low value" either, given that you pay GST on just about everything else, same as you do here, regardless of price. Maybe they have exempted electronic goods?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

inphinity
09-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I don't see a $A900 phone as "low value" either, given that you pay GST on just about everything else, same as you do here, regardless of price. Maybe they have exempted electronic goods?

A Nokia Asha 303 is an NZ$200 phone at best... not sure where you get A$900 from. Being ~NZ$200, it's applicable GST would be under the $60 minimum limit for customs to hit you with charges on a personal import, thus, you would not need to pay it.

Billy T
10-10-2012, 06:25 PM
A Nokia Asha 303 is an NZ$200 phone at best... not sure where you get A$900 from. Being ~NZ$200, it's applicable GST would be under the $60 minimum limit for customs to hit you with charges on a personal import, thus, you would not need to pay it.

I was referring to the price of the phone I purchased, on which the GST would have exceeded $135. But it wasn't coming here anyway, delivery will be in Oz and it will be leaving there within a week of receipt as well, so it is effectively being re-exported in the hands of a non-resident and that should avoid any unexpected complications.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

notechyet
11-10-2012, 06:32 AM
I have bought a HTC Wildfire and it has just arrived in the country(trace) and lets see what our tax man is going to do with it. Bear in mind I paid $ 220 only.

inphinity
11-10-2012, 07:59 AM
I have bought a HTC Wildfire and it has just arrived in the country(trace) and lets see what our tax man is going to do with it. Bear in mind I paid $ 220 only.

Should get ignored, GST on $220 is <$60

trig42
11-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I didn't think there was duty on electronics into NZ..
There is no duty, but there is GST to pay when importing it. Customs will charge you a fee (~$44) to work this out for you. If the GST component on the item you are importing is less than $60, they will generally just let it through without a charge and no GST to pay.

bluenose
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Since recieving my S3 I have been having a great time learning to use the various functions. I am also using it to communicate with my amateur radio contacts around the world. (Free).

Not "The best thing since sliced bread!" But very close. Hi.

Bluenose.

notechyet
13-10-2012, 06:55 AM
I have bought a HTC Wildfire S and it has just arrived in the country.......
From order to delivery at door it took 8 days. No GST on it and all up $ 223.-.

Billy T
15-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, after 10 days the phone I ordered hadn't turned up, and it had to be in Brisbane by Wednesday latest, so I got on line with their live chat helpline. After an initial 'can't help' from the first line of defence, once I explained the situation to that individual I was quickly escalated up the chain to a short series of polite and competent individuals, and after they tracked down the problem, they offered a refund of the shipping fee and expedited delivery to arrive by Wednesday evening. Billy jnr leaves for the UAE Thursday morning so any later would have been too late, though I offered them the option to free ship it to him over there.

I realise that shlt happens in the best run organisations, but I will say that MobiCity backs up their business with a credible help line. I was contacted while I was still writing my complaint! All I have to do now is wait and see if they manage to come through with the goods, but I reckon the odds are pretty favourable that they will.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
17-10-2012, 03:12 PM
OOPS

Billy 8-{)

mikebartnz
17-10-2012, 08:49 PM
S3 goes for around $700+ used on trademe.
Personally I wouldn't pay $700+ for a used S3.