PDA

View Full Version : Android tablets

QW.
21-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Just been looking at some Android tablets on Trademe. Are Android tablets any good?

Looking at purchasing one to see what Android is like to use.

dugimodo
21-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Go into a shop and have a play on a display model. They are very similar to the fruity tablets to use and more open.
I'm using an android tablet to post this as it happens.

Just avoid the no name brands and resistive screens, try to find one with android 4 (ICS) or newer.

Nick G
21-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, they are good. As dugimodo said, avoid the really cheap ones. My advice would be to forget about trademe, and pick up a new nexus 7 unless you really want a 10 inch screen. The nexus 7 is cheap, fast, light, thin, very slick to use. For $439 (for the 16gb model from Noel Leemings) it will give you a great android experience.
Also it has the latest software, and being a nexus will get updates quickly.

Just my :2cents:

Zippity
21-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I love my Samsung :)

wainuitech
21-09-2012, 03:46 PM
SWMBO - just got one of the lenovo 10.1 Tablets. This one here - gallery shows more views (http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/nzweb/LenovoPortal/en_NZ/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=3634951826AE4D3881BFFF1AC5FCD957&current-category-id=0BBE62C59C3654FD3FEEA62E752FEDA3&menu-id=products&ref-id=products) Its the end of line model, but the new ones are coming out soon, SHE wanted it NOW - so she got it ("Read as " told me to order it), Got it at a good Dealer price :) - She loves it, esp the pen options, can write on it like a piece of paper. Its running ICS (4.0)

KarameaDave
21-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I take a couple of tablets every morning, no robots so far....:D

Chilling_Silence
21-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Personally I'd suggest avoiding the el-cheapo no-name brand ones and get yourself something from a reputable brand.

As mentioned get something running at least Android-4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or ideally look at something like the Nexus 7 (Android-4.1 Jellybean).

I imported my Nexus 7, landed for around NZD$270. Go have a play with them at your local Harvey Norman store or similar.

I had that Lenovo one for a week or two at my last job, they were pretty cool, though the stylus felt a little bulky. Definitely was oriented towards more business / corporate / document usage. IIRC it was running Honeycomb when I used it, just before ICS came out. Probably one of my more fav tablets back when I was reviewing them all!

CliveM
21-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I have had my Asus Infinity TF700T for a week now and really like it.

John H
21-09-2012, 04:30 PM
I am very happy with my Nexus 7. My wife recently bought an iPad, but I definitely prefer the Android OS (the Nexus 7 is running the latest version 4.1.1 - Jellybean) to iOS. I get really frustrated with her iPad but find the Android OS quite intuitive.

I nearly rejected the Nexus 7 because it does not have an SD slot, but there are a couple of apps you can use now called Nexus Photo Viewer and Nexus Media Importer that allow you to connect a pen drive with either an OTG cable or adapter. I am using one of the latter ($US2 and free delivery to NZ for a pair) and a micro pen drive. I also tried it out this am with our USB camera card reader attached and could import all the photos on the SD card into the Nexus, which will be handy when we are next overseas. This system also means that I can expand the memory capacity of the Nexus 7 - at the moment I am using a 16Gb micro pen drive (just because it is smaller), but if I use a standard pen drive I can use a larger stick (I have one that is 32Gb).

I also use Dropbox, so I can keep media there, and access them from the Nexus.

If you want to use your tablet as an ebook reader, the Nexus 7 works very well - to my mind it is just the right size for a reader. The Nexus 7 does not show up in your PC as a drive with an assigned letter, because it operates on MTP - it shows up like a camera instead. This used to mean that Calibre would not recognise the Nexus and deliver books to it, but the Calibre developer has recently released an update so that they now play nicely together. The developer has tested it with Win 7 and Vista, and supports both of those OSs, but he will not support WinXP. However, it worked straight away for me on WinXP.

There is only one problem with the form factor of the Nexus 7 - quite a number of apps still haven't been re-developed to work with that size screen. Two are Libanywhere (which our library uses for searching the catalogue and managing our account) and the newish National Bank app doesn't work. Those are the only two I have found thus far that irritate me.

QW.
21-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I imported my Nexus 7, landed for around NZD$270. Go have a play with them at your local Harvey Norman store or similar.

DSE have the Nexus 7. Same as what you have got?

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8132/asus-google-nexus-7-quot-tablet

lakewoodlady
21-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Still love my ASUS tf101 running ICS. Android definitely the better choice over iPad, for versatility.

LL

Nick G
21-09-2012, 05:43 PM
DSE have the Nexus 7. Same as what you have got?

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8132/asus-google-nexus-7-quot-tablet
yep, that'll be the one.

Chilling_Silence
21-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Are those issues because they've not been updated for Jellybean though? Or the 7" screen size? I'd suggest the former rather than the latter most probably...

paulw
22-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I bought a Galaxy TAB2 , 10.1 last week. It seems fine though it could be a bit faster. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 was a bit outside the price range though is quite quick..

Pato
22-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I am thinking about a TAB2 or an Ipad2 but am having difficulty deciding which one. Did you compare it with the Ipad2?.

wainuitech
22-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Choice between Android or Ipad can also depend on what you actually want to do with them.

Lately I've been hearing a LOT about people and schools using tablets of one form or another in daily work. Many Schools are using Androids simply because the iPads cant do the work required by the students.

Twice, two weeks ago, in the same week, I was talking to customers and they said iPads cant do the school work, and some parents are really annoyed because they brought an iPad, because "its an iPad", then had to go and buy Androids or use a windows Laptop because the iPads couldn't cut it.

Thats why SWMBO wanted the lenovo, one of the trainers at her work got one as a trial, and does many presentations, and daily work on it, they tried the iPads and quickly excluded them as not suitable.

John H
22-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Are those issues because they've not been updated for Jellybean though? Or the 7" screen size? I'd suggest the former rather than the latter most probably...

I think there are aspects of both Chill. Mostly it is Jellybean because you get the message 'this app is incompatible with your device' and that is the case with the NatBNZ app and Libanywhere. I was a bit loose with what I said in my post. However, there are situations where apps have not been optimised for the 7' screen. They work of course, but their design leaves something to be desired. I have read this on other forums, experienced it, and also have a comparison to go on between my old Galaxy S2 WIFI 5.0 and the Nexus 7. Some apps (particularly news sites) looked much better on the smaller screen.

The Error Guy
22-09-2012, 04:45 PM
IMO iPad = gizmo/gadget and Win8/Droid tablet = actual product for work

AVOID No name brands, they will come with old android versions, no support (from XDA/Custom ROMs etc) if you want a cheap tablet, try in a store and then find one on ebay. The risk of a dodgy tablet is more than a dodgy deal on ebay if smart about it. If unsure post a link to the auction, I'm sure the members here would be glad to give opinion on the apparent trustworthyness of the deal.

NZ is a rip off for electronics. Even used ones, personally I avoid trademe if no good deals (eg people who got an unwanted gift/prize) are around and look at the UK/US for people selling phones/tablets. Nexus goes for about $400 NZD in auction atm

John H
22-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I generally agree, though I have no grounds for comparison with overseas markets, so I am unsure about your points there. I have always bought new, and name brands, for the reasons you outline - oh, I bought a Palm Treo 600 off TradeMe in Jan 2004, and my wife has just decided to pension it off and upgrade to a newer phone, so that was a success story.

One reason I chose the Nexus 7 over a Samsung is because brands other than Google seem to be sucking on the hind teat when it comes to system upgrades. It takes Samsung forever to deign to update its version of Android software. I brought the Nexus 7 home, plugged it in, and it immediately set about updating to Android v4.1.1. With my Galaxy S2, even though I regularly checked for updates via Kies, it was still on Gingerbread with no sign of ever getting to ICS let alone Jellybean.

plod
22-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I generally agree, though I have no grounds for comparison with overseas markets, so I am unsure about your points there. I have always bought new, and name brands, for the reasons you outline - oh, I bought a Palm Treo 600 off TradeMe in Jan 2004, and my wife has just decided to pension it off and upgrade to a newer phone, so that was a success story.

One reason I chose the Nexus 7 over a Samsung is because brands other than Google seem to be sucking on the hind teat when it comes to system upgrades. It takes Samsung forever to deign to update its version of Android software. I brought the Nexus 7 home, plugged it in, and it immediately set about updating to Android v4.1.1. With my Galaxy S2, even though I regularly checked for updates via Kies, it was still on Gingerbread with no sign of ever getting to ICS let alone Jellybean.samsung don't upgrade current models, their just bring out a new one

QW.
22-09-2012, 06:20 PM
So the Nexus would be the best one to get.

plod
22-09-2012, 06:22 PM
So the Nexus would be the best one to get.if you want a small one. Personally if your main use is at home go for something bigger

R2x1
22-09-2012, 06:37 PM
If I feel the overpowering need for a tablet, it will probably be an apple tablet. (Unless the inspiration is more moving, in which case it will be a diarrhea tablet.)
;)

R2x1
22-09-2012, 06:39 PM
samsung don't upgrade current models, their just bring out a new one
Good point. Apple should sue them for that too.

paulw
22-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I am thinking about a TAB2 or an Ipad2 but am having difficulty deciding which one. Did you compare it with the Ipad2?.

No. Wasn't interested in an Apple product though did compare it to other Androids and the TAB2 was the best for your money. Looking forward to the M$ Surface to see how it stacks up against the iPad3

QW.
02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Where can the Asus Nexus 7 be bought from instead of the retail stores in NZ?

QW.
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
And these any good?

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/samsung-galaxy-s-5-inch-tablet.html

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2012, 04:27 PM
For ^^ price I'd personally be more inclined to parallel import a Nexus 7!

QW.
02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Where can I import a Nexus 7 from? Amazon?

Nick G
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
And these any good?

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/samsung-galaxy-s-5-inch-tablet.html
low ppi, slow processor, not enough ram, old os. Just get the nexus 7, Chill will explain how ;)

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Amazon is one way, or direct from Google.

You can use HotSpotShield to give you an American IP Address. Login with your Google account, setup your Credit Card to also use an American postal address (Such as that provided by Ship2u.co.nz) and you should be good to purchase the Nexus 7 straight from play.google.com

Get it sent to Ship2u's American Address (You'll suffer a small amount of American taxes) and then get Ship2u to forward it. The whole process takes roughly two weeks, and the Shipping Forwarding cost through Ship2u will be around NZD$20 (Which is pretty damn cheap!).

SurferJoe46
02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
A little more support for the Nexus7:::

I tend to use it more than my desktop - which I use only if there's a lot of typing needing to be done. Typing on a screen is kinda hard and I tend to use word-whiskers (uh, er, ahem, sniff, snort, etc.) that my Nexus translates into Klingon.

My dictation skills need honing, instead of me needing to berate my Nexus.

I find I need to gather my thoughts first THEN speak to it so it doesn't find some obscure-but-perfectly-legal-although-totally-out-of-context words to fill in the blanks.

It's faster, smoother and it almost reads my mind about what I want to do or see next. Vids are so smooth that it's amazing.

I watch whole TV shows and online movies all the time, although no tablet has a really decent 7.1 sound systems, it's at least in stereo and (quietly) adequate - most of the time.

The sound is best when you allow the unit to lie on a table or some other flat, hard surface. Putting it on your pillow at night to stream a radio, isn't a good idea as it gets muffle.

Oh yeah --- it takes great videos too! Really smooth - and the one big test I saw right away was video-ing water as it flows - and the Nexus camera gets it really good, and not strobe'd like my Kodak camera. You can actually see the water flow and the waves break, not just some frothy blur of water motion!

Weaknesses? Maybe one or two:::

A) ONE and only one camera - but I understand why: it's a cost effective thing. Still - it would be nice to have a rear-facing camera too.
B) No SD slot. OK - that's nitpicking - but again ---- it would be nice ................

Boot time is under 15 seconds if you don't use a password.
Battery life is very long! VERY long!
Even scanned books, page by page, are large enough to read without a magnifying glass. They also turn to landscape from portrait and easily can be zoomed.
I run an epub reader and it's smooth and seamless.

As of yet I have not watched the free movie ---- Transformers 6 I think. Is it loaded or do I need to download it to view it? If it's in the Nexus, then I'll watch it once and delete it if I can.

Hey- Chill - can I get rid of that Pinyin translator that keeps asking for updates? I don't want nor need Korean. I cannot find a delete GUI for it when it's running and it's not listed as a app.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah absolutely
Go into the App List, push and drag it to the top-right where it has "info". From there, you can disable pretty much anything! :) (So just be careful what you disable)

johcar
02-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I bought a 16GB version of the Nexus 7 on 24 September using Chill's instructions. It was delivered to the American shipping company office a couple of days later. Looking forward to it arriving here in the next few days... Should be landed in NZ for around NZ$380 (the exchange rate is your friend at the moment)

KarameaDave
02-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Still taking the the tablets, no Androids so far.
Will keep you updated if situation deteriorates.

KarameaDave
02-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2012, 08:55 PM

:lol: !! :D

KarameaDave
02-10-2012, 08:57 PM
:lol: !! :D
Yes too many thes and it seems Mint Firefox double posts for me!

QW.
02-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Might look at a Kindle fire also

SurferJoe46
03-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Chill --- I could only find it listed in the cached area and disabled it there after it gave me a stern earning that it might also harmfully interact with other (legacy?) installed apps too.

The option to remove it doesn't exist, just disable. I see it's a Chinese keyboard and English-Chinese translator too, although I have no need for it any time nor place.

Chilling_Silence
03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
The option to remove it doesn't exist, just disable.

Correct, disabling it won't actually uninstall it from the system, but for all intents and purposes it's "gone".

QW.
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Is there any other cheaper devices around the $300 mark?

Chilling_Silence
04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
As mentioned you can land the Nexus 7 for around NZD$270 if you import it yourself. Delivery is ballpark 2 weeks. Best tablet on the market, best price, if you're patient with it's arrival ;)

QW.
04-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Might have to look for something else other than a tablet.

Chilling_Silence
04-10-2012, 11:55 PM
^^ Have I been blocked or something, I swear I just replied with *the* perfect answer?! :-/

johcar
05-10-2012, 08:58 AM
^^ Have I been blocked or something, I swear I just replied with *the* perfect answer?! :-/

You can lead a QW. to water but you can't make him drink....

GameJunkie
05-10-2012, 09:01 AM
You can lead a QW. to technology but you can't make him buy it....

there, much better :D

Chilling_Silence
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Apparently! :p

GameJunkie
05-10-2012, 10:13 AM
i had a play with a Nexus 7 at DSE yesterday, very impressed.

if i hadnt brought the Gnex, i would've brought one of these