PDA

View Full Version : turntable/record player recommendation

globe
21-09-2012, 10:58 AM
thinking about getting one and dusting off those old records i've got stashed away. Got the amp speakers etc so need something to plug into the set up. Any recommendations ?

Budget, dunno, maybe up to couple hundred, new or second hand not bothered either way.

Cant beat the pop and crackle of vinyl I reckon

cheers

Terry Porritt
21-09-2012, 11:19 AM
First thing you need to do is to check your amplifier specifications to see what inputs it has, eg whether it has "phono"input and equalising network for a turntable, the input impedance and signal level, and what sort of pickup it has been designed for. An amp designed for a high impedance ceramic pickup which gives around 100mv will not work with a magnetic one with 5 mv output and low impedance.

Knowing that then you can more easily decide upon a turntable, but choice will be limited these days.

dugimodo
21-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Or you could get a turntable with a standard line out(i.e. with it's own preamp/equaliser), just don't connect it to a phono input.
There are also models available with a usb cable that plug directly into a PC.

Personally I abandoned Vinyl years ago, Decent turntables are very expensive and needles are getting harder to find. But mainly for me it was the convenience of modern media coupled with the problems associated with vinyl and wooden floors.
Records are cool and I appreciate why people might want to hang onto them, but me I'd still listen to a digital version in preference.
Before I got rid of my turntable I recorded the harder to find stuff onto the PC and burnt it to CD, I still find it trippy to play the CD and hear the needle hit the record and the crackle of the lead-in.
Since then I've replaced pretty much everything I care about with CDs

Digby
21-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Boy I was glad to have sold just about all of my vynl. Just a few to go.

I accept the purists who say that vinyl has a slightly warmer sounds.

But I hated vynl, the way they got scratched and warped.
And I hated cassettes they way the got screwed up and twisted.
I bought about 6 car cassette players.

Thanks goodness for solid state.

Now all we need to do is to get them to allow the purchase of non-lossy music files.
None of this itune 192 bit rate crap with all their DRM.

I want to buy it and then its mine for ever.

And I dont like the way record companies sold you an LP, and a cassette then a CD!
How many times do they want the royalty ?

dugimodo
21-09-2012, 01:14 PM
And I dont like the way record companies sold you an LP, and a cassette then a CD!
How many times do they want the royalty ?

I agree. Someone I know borrowed and copied CD's of everything he owned on Vinyl arguing that he'd already paid once and not for the cheap piece of vinyl but for what's on it and the record companies wouldn't offer him anything back for the record.
He had a point I think, providing of course he kept the record as well as the Copied CD. With the fair use format shifting laws now in place it would be difficult to prove any wrong doing in a case like that also.

WalOne
21-09-2012, 01:29 PM
This may help you, Globe:

HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Fun-Fisher-Record-Player/dp/B003CGVCXS)

:D

21-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Budget, dunno, maybe up to couple hundred, new or second hand not bothered either way.

At price it will be a budget job.
They still make turntables, cartridges & needles. $500ish is should get a reasonable new one(?)
2nd hand, you'll take your chances I guess. Factor in cost of a new stylus ASAP.
Have a look on trademe, used cheap TT's seem to be really old or really nasty.
I bought a old Thorens, stylus was needing replacement & it was really too sensitive to any sort of bump on the floor.
Sold that & bought a new TT, used it twice, its unused for the last 3 years
:-)