PDA

View Full Version : Help computer died

prefect
19-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Sons Dell Dimension computer PC died last night it was a 2005 model first major breakdown.
Was going ok then went to BSOD then shut down and now black screen. When restarted it beeps twice pauses then repeats beeps again screen black with no start up screen. Hard drive can be heard running it sounds louder than normal I think.
Any help gratefully received where do I start or do I panic and start changing stuff willy nilly. Have got some other computers on the network but my son is now using my one and is whinging when I booted him off to write this.

gary67
19-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Onboard graphics or a graphics card? Sounds like whichever has died

fred_fish
19-09-2012, 07:28 PM
You should pay someone to fix it rather than hanging about here with your hand out, expecting free help. What's the world coming to, bloody freeloading commies...

prefect
19-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Onboard graphics or a graphics card? Sounds like whichever has died
Its built in Gary, thought about that but are the beeps indicative of graphics part.

dugimodo
19-09-2012, 07:40 PM
If you can find the model number have a look at http://support.dell.com/support
for example http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2300/advanced.htm#1118998 shows 2 short beeps as a memory issue and 2 long beeps as graphics, but it changes between models.

If it looks like memory try removing one module at a time if there is more than one, and try reseating them also.

KarameaDave
19-09-2012, 07:51 PM
You should pay someone to fix it rather than hanging about here with your hand out, expecting free help. What's the world coming to, bloody freeloading commies... :lol:

pctek
19-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Well without looking up the beep codes, it's nearly always ram or graphics. Seeing as ram is easy to check, start with that. Not ram - graphics. Built in graphics - well does it have a PCI-E slot? If not, then it's new board time.
I hate MBs without PCI-E slots, at least you get the option if it does have one.

Or vice versa, the one I just put in my brothers, has onboard, and I put his graphics card back in - but should it dies, at least he can switch meanwhile.

prefect
19-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Well without looking up the beep codes, it's nearly always ram or graphics. Seeing as ram is easy to check, start with that. Not ram - graphics. Built in graphics - well does it have a PCI-E slot? If not, then it's new board time.
I hate MBs without PCI-E slots, at least you get the option if it does have one.

Or vice versa, the one I just put in my brothers, has onboard, and I put his graphics card back in - but should it dies, at least he can switch meanwhile.

What is a PCI-E slot?

KarameaDave
19-09-2012, 10:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
This, the one pctek is referring to is the x16, they are where you put a GPU (graphics card)
to replace your faulty one (if indeed that is the issue).

pctek
20-09-2012, 07:15 AM
What is a PCI-E slot?
The big graphics card slot -often a different colour to the rest.

prefect
20-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Fixed it this morning ( I hope) took the sides of the cases off, pushed down all the cards and ram, blew out the dust and wiggled all plugs and its going.
Thanks for help