PDA

View Full Version : V8 Super Cars to be joined by AMG Mercedes as will as Nissan next year.

Trev
19-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Here. (http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/newsarticle/erebus-motorsport-on-the-v8-supercar-grid-in-2013/tabid/70/newsid/12935/default.aspx)
:)

gary67
19-09-2012, 08:20 PM
So there will actually be a race then rather than a Holden v Ford crap out has to be good news, so who will win the champs Merc's or Nissan?

SolMiester
19-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Mercs!

pine-o-cleen
19-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Mercs!
Nah, because when any of them craps out, they will decide it's just too expensive to fix and buy a Nissan instead :D

paulw
19-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Good news. The ozzy car Vs ozzy car was boring..

SKT174
20-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Good news. The ozzy car Vs ozzy car was boring..

Couldn't agree more. Wish Audi & BMW jumps in as well.

Richard
20-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Can anyone here actually explain the Aussie Supercar racing. I have been told that they are not really Holden and Ford cars, but identical space frame cars fitted with the appropriate engine and body panels, to look like a Ford or Holden. So they have very little in common with the car bought from your local dealer. I guess the Nissans and Mercs will be the same.

prefect
20-09-2012, 11:08 AM
So there will actually be a race then rather than a Holden v Ford crap out has to be good news, so who will win the champs Merc's or Nissan?
Wash your mouth out with soap lol
Actually the best aspect of the V8 will be gone now and it will probaly kill the Aussie V8s that aspect being the Ford and Holden are near identical to make it a driver thing not a car thing.

Trev
20-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Will all saloon car racing all around the world is like that. You couldn't buy one off the shop floor and if you could you couldn't afford too. Each car costs over $1 million dollars. And they don't use bog standard parts either.

Trev
20-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Wash your mouth out with soap lol
Actually the best aspect of the V8 will be gone now and it will probaly kill the Aussie V8s that aspect being the Ford and Holden are near identical to make it a driver thing not a car thing.

I don't think so.

Quote from Stone Brothers website.

With most V8 Supercar teams either already on track or about to be on track with the 2013 Car of the Future models, Cochrane said the sport was never in better shape to maintain its high growth curves domestically and internationally.

The Car of the Future program aims to cut running costs and encourage other marques to compete, in turn broadening fan and sponsor appeal. The sport intends to grow to 18 events world-wide across 40 weeks in the coming years.

“Having Erebus Motorsport combined with SBR on the grid says much for the evolution of V8 Supercars to an internationally recognised brand,” Mr Cochrane said.

“With the customer sports support of AMG, the marque joins another world-wide giant in Nissan in our Championship under the Erebus Motorsport and SBR partnership, further demonstrating that our sport is truly on the international stage.

“We are an extremely popular sport worldwide and arguably one of the most respected motorsport categories internationally. This is largely due to our professionalism, safety first approach, fantastic events, technological prowess, spectacular racing and our hugely respected teams and drivers.”

SP8's
20-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Ford, Holden & Mercedes are crap anyway ... any person in their right mind would drive a Nissan ... like me ... :D

R2x1
20-09-2012, 12:58 PM
You look (or act?) like a Nissan? ;)

20-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Im just wondering how it will work. Are the existing cars so far removed from actuall Ford/Holdens that it now longer makes any difference if
other brands can compete?
Didnt Nissan effectively get banned from Bathhurst as Holden/Ford just werent competitive ?

I thought the whole idea of the V8 races, was the pseudo Fold/Holden rivalry, as thats what was the main attraction in the whole event ??
Plenty of other touring car classes in NZ, that dont the the same sort of following, from more casual type spectators . Will this kill off the interest in the long term ??

Trev
20-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Yes these cars have to conform to the V8 Supercars regulations. I read somewhere that the Nissan V8 had to be detuned or something to meet the regulatios. Read my previos post.

prefect
20-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Its a bit too soon after the war to have Nissans and Mercedes Benz cars racing in NZ and Australia.

Metla
20-09-2012, 07:24 PM
All classes have a list of specs, and at the top end of any race series cars are built to match those specs rather then entered because they happen to already meet these specs.

Funny enough this creates the closest most exciting racing, which the Aussie series has served up in huge amounts.

The new cars will have to be of similar weight and power, so those of you who think a good race is when one more powerful car beats a bunch of cars its not comparable to will hopefully be disappointed. If new manufacturers are entering its because they think it will gain them market share.

kenj
20-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Just saw the Merc on the TV1 News....:drool

Ken

Greg
20-09-2012, 08:35 PM
It's great news!

Gobe1
21-09-2012, 10:53 AM
+1 Metts if people think the aussie v8s is not interesting racing they shouldnt be watching motorsport

EDIT: they have made motorsport so expensive that no one would race if it wasnt fairly even

EDIT2: have you seen vodafone have pulled out?? http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/06/07/vodafone-set-to-end-triple-eight-sponsorship/

Trev
21-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Vodafone are also one of the sponsers of the Maclaren F1 Team.

Metla
21-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Looks like Redbull have stepped in and taken over sponsorship of Triple8. I'll be taking my boys for a tour through their facilities in the next couple of weeks. The workshop manager (at least I think thats his role) is from Wanganui and a good friend of mine.

Trev
21-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Luck you :)

Gobe1
21-09-2012, 02:47 PM
:envy: envy: is a good thing...