PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 - Who is using it?

xyz823
19-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Thoughts?

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Might as well use the Xbox, since its interface is similar. And will probably be better once it gets a browser, which maybe later this year :p

SolMiester
19-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Have the enterprise version running on a pc at work, but haven't really had a lot of time with it.....

sahilcc7
19-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Was using it, then went back to windows 7. Got sick of the pathetic integration between metro and desktop.. like you have 2 settings apps - One metro, one desktop.

pcuser42
19-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Using it right now to type this. Committing myself to getting used to using it and possibly an eventual upgrade. (After all, Microsoft gave it to me for free via Dreamspark, so why not...)

wainuitech
19-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Got it (RTM) on a PC in the lounge. Works OK, nothing flash yet, finding some things is fun, but finding out how to work it as MS designed it - even though it has the metro interface, its easy enough to get used to I find, and even the better half got used to it quickly.

What was a bonus, was finally :rolleyes: figuring out a quick way to close the Apps from metro, instead of having them all running.

Startup and shutdown times are much faster. Even my poor old media center works fine with the preview version ( only because its got a working Media Center - the RTM wont have it till it goes public), in fact I ONLY use the metro on that, dont actually go to the desktop at all.

pcuser42
19-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Naughty, it's not called Metro any more ;)

was finally :rolleyes: figuring out a quick way to close the Apps from metro, instead of having them all running.

Can you enlighten us?

xyz823
19-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Using it right now to type this. Committing myself to getting used to using it and possibly an eventual upgrade. (After all, Microsoft gave it to me for free via Dreamspark, so why not...)

I'm in the same boat, installed it Monday afternoon and so far I've basically only used the desktop mode :D
I've played around with the metro interface briefly but it doesn't seem like there are any useful apps in the app store yet and the only thing I have found a use for so far is music and even that doesn't seem to be "great" :rolleyes:

Can you enlighten us?

Second that, It's not like I'm short on ram but I think I've got a heap of random apps open (media player, pdf viewer, mail and chat etc) with no idea how to close them? :confused:

So far the only problem I've had was little things, like I seem to be permanently connected to one of the uni networks and I don't know how to disconnect short of disabling wifi?? I can't find an option to "forget" or disconnect in the sharing center and right clicking on the network only allows me to turn sharing on or off???

Other little things like, "sh*t how did this open", "how do I go back", "how do I play this" etc have popped up but I'm hoping it's just a learning curve.

pcuser42
19-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm in the same boat, installed it Monday afternoon and so far I've basically only used the desktop mode :D

Same :D although I have played around with some of the default apps.

gary67
19-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Nope and probably won't upgrade from 7 until 9 comes out, 8 just doesn't do anything for me

ChazTheGeek
19-09-2012, 08:37 PM
What's the compatibility like with older games and all?

plod
19-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Nope and probably won't upgrade from 7 until 9 comes out, 8 just doesn't do anything for meAnd you think 9 won't be heading further into 8 direction

gary67
19-09-2012, 08:43 PM
And you think 9 won't be heading further into 8 direction

More like I might have some spare cash by then and I'm of the opinion if it ain't broke why fix it mentality and as far as I'm concerned win7 ain't broken

KarameaDave
19-09-2012, 08:49 PM
I still have Vista on my old lappy (HP dv6303tx), 7 Home premium on SWMBOs and my netbooks (both eeepc 1201n)
See no reason to change any, but when I do I'll be shifting to Linux full time, M$ going the locked up crApple way.
Sucks a big one.

bk T
19-09-2012, 09:46 PM
See no reasons to 'up-grade' (or down-grade?) from Win 7 - the best OS so far.

wainuitech
19-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Naughty, it's not called Metro any more ;)

Can you enlighten us? Yeah Sorry about that ;) but hey mud sticks eh :D

Anyway to close off a metro app, with the App open,you move your mouse pointer to anywhere along the very TOP edge of the screen, it turns to a hand, left click and hold, move it down towards the bottom of the screen, the app will shrink to a smaller window, then simply drag the hand off the BOTTOM of the screen, when the hand gets to the bottom of the screen the app will suddenly jump down and run off the bottom, this actually closes the App, doesn't minimize it.

If you look in task manager by changing Apps any other way they will still be running, by doing as above it shuts it down.

Bobh
19-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I have Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation installed on my laptop which has only 2 Gb of ram with a Celeron(R) Dual-Core T3500 @ 2.10 GHz and only a 2.9 Windows Experience Index.

Windows 8 runs well on it. I have installed 'start8' on it. This gives me a menu system similar to Windows 7 which I like.

pcuser42
19-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah Sorry about that ;) but hey mud sticks eh :D

Anyway to close off a metro app, with the App open,you move your mouse pointer to anywhere along the very TOP edge of the screen, it turns to a hand, left click and hold, move it down towards the bottom of the screen, the app will shrink to a smaller window, then simply drag the hand off the BOTTOM of the screen, when the hand gets to the bottom of the screen the app will suddenly jump down and run off the bottom, this actually closes the App, doesn't minimize it.

If you look in task manager by changing Apps any other way they will still be running, by doing as above it shuts it down.

Easy when you know how :D :thanks

CYaBro
19-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Been running the rtm version on my laptop since it was released on technet.
Slowly getting used to the new way of doing things.

KarameaDave
19-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Yaaar, pieces of 8? :D

goodiesguy
20-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't want to use it, as Windows 7 is perfect. Why do they need to go and ruin it with a crap new Operating System? Why don't they stick with Windows 7 like they did with XP?

Nikit07
20-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Windows 8 is crap. The only new thing is the Metro style interface on start up.

wratterus
20-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I tried it, with every intention of switching to it, but gave up after two days. Metro (or whatever its called now) is so unproductive.

ChazTheGeek
20-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Windows 7 is good enough for me.

icow
20-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Will probably move my laptop over to 8. Desktop will stay on 7.

wainuitech
20-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Windows 8 is crap. The only new thing is the Metro style interface on start up.:groan: No its not.

R2x1
21-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Nikit07
Windows 8 is crap. The only . . .

Originally Posted by wainuitech
No its not.
Quite right. If you go without crap, you will explode.
If you go without W.ait (c) you will just grow as a person, all your trains will be on time, your garden will flourish without any weeds, you will have a better class of friends and your enemies will be confounded. ;)

Digby
21-09-2012, 12:35 PM
I am very happy with Windows 7.

I can see why Microsoft want to make their phone OS and their desk top OS similar, its all about marketing.

Bill Gates must be miffed looked at Apple's share price.

I would be interested in finding out more about the touch screen interface, but me as a for a desktop user, I don't really see much potential.

KarameaDave
21-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Gates not worried, he's just topped Forbes rich list thing.
(probably got a million crApple shares from way back :D)

WalOne
21-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Bill Gates must be miffed looked at Apple's share price.

I doubt it. With a net worth of around US$66 Billion, he'd not be worrying too much about crApple. If at all.

The Error Guy
21-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Personally I think win8 will be amazing on tablets like the surface. This thing (and the trasformer) are legit. Use it as a PC/Notebook or switch to tablet mode. On a laptop/desktop.... not so much. Touchscreen is near mandatory IMO for a really smooth win8 experiance. I hope OEM's don't just push for win8 and try running it on "legacy" win7 style hardware. It will cause a lot of pain for end users.

pcuser42
21-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Personally I think win8 will be amazing on tablets like the surface. This thing (and the trasformer) are legit. Use it as a PC/Notebook or switch to tablet mode. On a laptop/desktop.... not so much. Touchscreen is near mandatory IMO for a really smooth win8 experiance. I hope OEM's don't just push for win8 and try running it on "legacy" win7 style hardware. It will cause a lot of pain for end users. Sounds like an extreme version of selling early XP machines with 128MB RAM and Vista ones with 512MB...

goodiesguy
21-09-2012, 02:56 PM
If they provide a Desktop version without Metro, or a way to make it look identical to windows 7, then I'll try it. Till then, I'm happy with 7, as it's the ideal operating system for me.

pcuser42
21-09-2012, 03:22 PM
If they provide a Desktop version without Metro

As long as it doesn't prevent running Metro apps.