PDA

View Full Version : IPhone App for Receipts

learning
19-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Hello

Can someone recommend a good app for iPhone
that handles scanning and storing your everyday purchase Receipts ?

I dont want something too fancy where it does expense reports etc
but just basic app that lets you scan receipt and store it
and maybe just tag with some details about receipts content and amount
etc

I dont mind paying for an app

stratex5
19-09-2012, 08:15 AM
How about just taking a photo and putting it into a new album. Really, iPhones aren't designed for that sort of thing.

The Error Guy
19-09-2012, 08:46 AM
It's not so much about what the phone is designed for but what people design for it. Regardless of the platform I doubt you'll have any luck finding an app the will be able to scan receipts and store them. Perhaps you would try some OCR software? A quick google bought up 3x iOS OCR comparisons (http://gigaom.com/apple/3-iphone-optical-character-recognition-apps-compared/)

Personally I'd see it as more of a hassle than a convenience, having a 3G/3GS might make things a little more awkward as the older phones are not equiped with high quality cameras. If you have a 4/S then you might find it easier but I'd still say it's more hassle than it's worth.

If you don't mind me asking? Why did you want your receipts digitized/on your phone? Perhaps we can help with a more convenient alternative.

johcar
19-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Android has CamScanner (free!) which converts a photo (or series of photos) to a PDF. Perhaps crApple has something similar....

@The Error Guy - digitising receipts as you get them is very handy for someone who has to put in an expense claim and doesn't want to risk a receipt falling out of their wallet before they get home....

learning
19-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys

Sorry by scanning i meant taking pictures using my iphone of receipts and storing them on my phone.

I travel frequently and so i just want to keep a copy of receipts for some expenses and in addtion to the storing receipts for items where
you need proof of purchase for warranty etc.

I'd like to be able to categorize it say for gas, food, hotels etc
I had been reading on expensify and lemon app and just wanted some of your opinions too.

thanks

mikebartnz
19-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys

Sorry by scanning i meant taking pictures using my iphone of receipts and storing them on my phone.

I travel frequently and so i just want to keep a copy of receipts for some expenses and in addtion to the storing receipts for items where
you need proof of purchase for warranty etc.

I'd like to be able to categorize it say for gas, food, hotels etc
I had been reading on expensify and lemon app and just wanted some of your opinions too.

thanks
Just create folders for the different categories and put the photos in them.

pcuser42
19-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I'd like to be able to categorize it say for gas, food, hotels etcanks

If you're with ASB and almost always use EFTPOS or credit/debit cards for transactions, you can do this in online banking.

AntonyWhite
13-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Short answer: no, you can trust the Apple Server. Long answer: there're some software for jb iphones that let users to obtain "fake" purchase receipts, so if you don't verify the receipt your sw can be fooled... That said depends on your situation: having a server to check/validate receipts can cost you more that letting some thiefs to stole your work. But again weight your options...
More Reviews:
http://www.iphone-mac.com/how-to-iphone.html