PDA

View Full Version : Apostrophe in Clean'm Up.exe being replaced by question mark ?

braindead
18-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

Been using a small, simple utility called Clean'm Up to periodically clean my keyboard and mouse. For some reason my XP Home SP3 system is renaming the ' to an ?. This stops the utility from opening.

Any ideas what might be causing this ' <> ? replacement?

Thanks!

dugimodo
18-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Perhaps the "Utility" removed the keys and put them back in the wrong place?

Sorry if this was a serious question, seems like a joke to me.

lakewoodlady
18-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Use a slightly damp cloth, that usually works best.........

LL

Paul.Cov
18-09-2012, 09:25 PM
There may be much bigger issues than you think.

None of what you've said makes any sense.

How does an application 'clean' your keyboard and mouse? If you've installed it and used it for this purpose, then you may be a victim of 'sucker-ware', and the filename renaming may be part of a strategy to prevent you from removing a piece of malware. Seriously, think about what this app is alleged to do, and perhaps re-word your post. Currently the only bit of it that seems to make sense is your username and 'location' field, so I'm thinking this is either a total joke or a really fluffed up description of the purpose of the program.

stratex5
18-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Can I ask if you have a link to the software because I good led it and nothing came up.

Nick G
18-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Taking a guess here - the program claimed to optimise software to speed up keyboard input or something like that?

It is certainly bad - malware most likely. Run a full virus scan, clean temp files, etc. You've either been suckered into it, or posted this thread for a joke.

Nick G
18-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Can I ask if you have a link to the software because I good led it and nothing came up.
Be careful :)

We are definitely talking about a nasty here.

pctek
19-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Been using a small, simple utility called Clean'm Up to periodically clean my keyboard and mouse.

Googled, can't even find such a thing.

Clean your keyboard??!! To clean your KB, turn it upside down, bang it gently on the desk. Crumbs will fall out.
If especially filthy, undo the screws and remove the top. Clean gently with a soft, natural brush.

Mouse - as they are all optical these days, the only thing you may need to actually clean is the mouse feet, they can get a wee bit of fluff caught. Other than that, wipe with a soft cloth.

Malware for sure....