PDA

View Full Version : Issues with installing WinXP

Nomad
18-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I am trying to redo my XP spare computer.

Why is it that, with the Windows CD (boot). I delete the XP C: partition and reinstall it then has the D: as Boot (Healthy) and C: as System (Healthy). The now systems drive before was just my own files.

Also that I tried to run the Acronis True Image 2010 Boot CD. It boots up but my USB keyboard/mouse does not work. The system doesn't have PS/2 ports and in the bios it doesn't have any setting to emulate USB as PS/2. This is 2010 version, the XP Original CD works with USB keyboards ........

pctek
18-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Why is it that, with the Windows CD (boot). I delete the XP C: partition and reinstall it then has the D: as Boot (Healthy) and C: as System (Healthy). T.
because it makes the one and only (or first created) partition C: by default.
Don't do this. make the first - which will be C:, then add the other which becomes D:.

If you then delete C:, it makes D: C: instead.

See?

Nomad
18-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks. Means I need to deal with D: later on with my own files. Think I will use the USB stick to transfer files than pulling the HD out again :lol: I thought I could plug the HD into my main PC and est. a partition first with the handy files ....

Pctek and others, any suggestions of a good linux CD or USB bootable stick with some utility software to create/restore image files, partition utility and works with USB mouse/keyboards (without legacy support) :confused:

wainuitech
18-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Dont know about a bootable linux CD for imaging, but Active@disk Image allows you to make a bootable CD or USB drive that does all the imaging, restoring etc.

Thats all I use, the Bootable CD, its WIN PE based with inbuilt USB support.

The one you would want is the Installer & Bootable CD/USB Download from http://www.disk-image.com/download.htm

Partition software - one from a bootable CD is AOMEI (http://www.extend-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html) - theres several others as well, Gparted just to mention one

Nomad
18-09-2012, 04:38 PM

dugimodo
18-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Parted magic also I think.

To get acronis to work with USB you may need legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS. Also my acronis disk gives me the option to chose which version I want to use and I find only the basic one works with my USB keyboard even though the description of the other version would make you think the opposite.