PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry found after reported stolen - can it be used for anything?

BBCmicro
15-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Our daughter lost her Blackberry at the pub, reported it stolen and got a new one. She then shifted flat and found it (while packing her things). Can it be used for anything? Hardwarewise it's OK but it does not connect with a new SIM

KarameaDave
15-09-2012, 09:49 PM
It will make a reasonable sinker, She has been paid out, using it now is fraud I would think.

Agent_24
15-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Use it for spare parts?

Trev
15-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Yes it is fraud. I would talk to your insurance company about it. If they found out you could be in trouble.
:)

linw
16-09-2012, 08:56 AM
It now belongs to the Insurance Co. You have to offer it back to them.

Trev
16-09-2012, 09:29 AM
What I would call being dishonest if you don't. You are not a dishonest person are you ?

The Error Guy
16-09-2012, 11:18 AM
A friend of mine had is S2 stolen, insurance bought him a new one and a few weeks later police recovered the stolen one. After returning it to the insurance co. and negotiating with them he bought it back from them for $200 and gave it to his younger brother.

Perhaps you could do the same, since you show a bit of honesty they will probably be more generous. Not much they can do with a 2nd hand BB other than sell it off.

Nick G
16-09-2012, 11:35 AM
A friend of mine had is S2 stolen, insurance bought him a new one and a few weeks later police recovered the stolen one. After returning it to the insurance co. and negotiating with them he bought it back from them for $200 and gave it to his younger brother.

Perhaps you could do the same, since you show a bit of honesty they will probably be more generous. Not much they can do with a 2nd hand BB other than sell it off.
People would buy a second hand blackberry? ;)

KarameaDave
16-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Blackberries make nice jam or steeped in gin an excellent tonic ;)

BBCmicro
16-09-2012, 12:28 PM
It's definitely not fraud, she genuinely thought it had been taken at the pub. Only discovered it when leaving her flat to come back to NZ (from UK). I presume its MAC address has been blocked or whatever the cellphone equivalent is

I'm beginning to think that fishing sinker is the right answer although keeping a couple of parts (the battery?) is also a good idea. As for blackberry gin, alcoholic drinks might have played a part already... a lesson to us all ;)

Agent_24
16-09-2012, 12:40 PM
It's definitely not fraud, she genuinely thought it had been taken at the pub. Only discovered it when leaving her flat to come back to NZ (from UK). I presume its MAC address has been blocked or whatever the cellphone equivalent is

As far as reporting it stolen when it was lost by mistake, that's a fair mistake and not fraud.

But to keep it/use it/sell it after the insurance has paid for it without notifying them that it was in fact not stolen could be seen as fraud.

The Error Guy
16-09-2012, 12:50 PM
If it's blocked in the UK it should work in NZ. You are right with the MAC idea, its IMEI has probably been blocked although BB being an enterprise type device probably has a few other disablers up its sleeve. Not sure myself but if the telecom company disabled it then it should just be the IMEI.

Trev
16-09-2012, 04:48 PM
As far as reporting it stolen when it was lost by mistake, that's a fair mistake and not fraud.

But to keep it/use it/sell it after the insurance has paid for it without notifying them that it was in fact not stolen could be seen as fraud.
+1.
I know what I would be doing.

tmrafi
17-09-2012, 04:06 PM
If it's blocked in the UK it should work in NZ. You are right with the MAC idea, its IMEI has probably been blocked although BB being an enterprise type device probably has a few other disablers up its sleeve. Not sure myself but if the telecom company disabled it then it should just be the IMEI.
If it is blocked in UK, it most likely is on the Vodafone Blocklist. If it is on Vodafone Blocklist, it is blocked on all Vodafone networks globally. Telecom NZ and Vodafone NZ share their blocklists, so it is highly likely that it has ended up in Telecom blocklist too.
The only option is to use with a 2Degrees sim as they do not share their blocklists with either Telecom on Vodafone.

kingdragonfly
17-09-2012, 06:54 PM
It may be an accident, but your daughter is in possession of lost/stolen property, which is now owned by the insurance company. "Take the higher road" and tell your daughter to tell the insurance company of her mistake. Consider the experience as a gift: a life lesson for your daughter.

BBCmicro
17-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I have a feeling that the hassle involved on both sides is not worth the effort. The best thing for both parties could be to dump it.

[I am reminded of people who put tiny scraps of metal or plastic in the recycling - they mean well but they cause totally-uneconomic bother to the recycling company]

Trev
17-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Have you asked them ?

BBCmicro
17-09-2012, 11:24 PM
I will suggest to her that she contact the cellphone company when she gets back to UK in a few months time

It occurred to me that the company might want to retrieve to ensure it doesn't get hacked