PDA

View Full Version : Removing IHS

jareemon
13-09-2012, 03:41 AM
I've been reading a bit about Ivy Bridge CPUs and their crappy TIM under the IHS.
Anyone taken one off a 3770k or any other Ivy Bridge? How much did it improve the temps? What TIM did you upgrade to?
I have a tube of Antec Formula 7 lying around so I was thinking of using this to replace the current TIM.
I plan to put the IHS back on the chip once I've put the new stuff on.
I've already overclocked, so I'm not worried about voiding the warranty, ofcourse :D

kingdragonfly
13-09-2012, 10:58 AM
A cooler PC is a happier PC (within reason)

Even though my motherboard uses the old "Sandy Bridge" micro architecture, instead of "Ivy bridge", I replaced the existing Intel H67 Platform Controller Hub (PCH) heatsink.

I simply took a more robust GPU cooler, cut off the "ears", and reused the existing clip. It dropped the temperature by 10 degrees C.

jareemon
13-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Wait, what? You put a gpu cooler on the cpu?

dugimodo
13-09-2012, 03:50 PM
PCH <> CPU

Anyway I'm not game to try it myself, my 3570K is rock solid at 4.2Ghz and I'm happy with that as an OC. More power than I need and temps hit the low 60's at full load which is fine. Not really worried what is going on under the lid.

I'd argue that overclocking a "K" version CPU shouldn't void the warranty provided you don't go overboard. The K version's only selling point over the reguar version is it's ability to be easily overclocked.