PDA

View Full Version : Which good, 'budget' laptop should I buy??

RabidGinFairy
12-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Hey all, my Dell Inspiron 1525 isn't handling the internet the way it used to. I've been really pleased with it's performance to date, I can't even remember when I bought it, and I love the look of the Inspiron and its keyboard. I read a review on here about the 17R, but this may be a little too expensive for me. I don't need a small laptop, doesnt need to be compact , lightweight etc as I only really use it at home.
I use laptop for the usual, email and surfing, watching movies, I don't play a lot of games on it but I guess that would be nice if I wanted to. Id like it to be able to handle those sites with those of ads and things popping up all over the place, as this is what seems to cause my Inspiron 1525 to overheat and shut itself down (processing power?). I have no idea what GHZ or ram etc I need, I'm not technical at all, just thought I would see if anyone here could help :) Apologies for the layman's terminology! Any advice would be awesome. Thankyou, Monique

johcar
12-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Before you spend any money, if you think that ads are causing slow-downs, install either Google Chrome or Firefox and then install AdBlock Plus (extension/add-on). Might provide a few more months worth of useful life from the Dell.

If you're dead set keen on upgrading, you should be able to pick up a nice i3-powered Toshiba for less than $700...

icow
12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Probably worth taking a look here: http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/nzweb/LenovoPortal/en_NZ/catalog.workflow:category.details?action=init&current-catalog-id=3634951826AE4D3881BFFF1AC5FCD957&current-category-id=CCAA98F81F1149E1BC701E0BB6728667

What kind of budget are you on?

mzee
12-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I swear by Dell! All yours needs is a service, clean all the rubish, malware and virus out. If you are using Internet Explorer install Chrome or Firefox with add block. It probably needs all the dust blown out of it too. Are you placing it on a hard surface to allow the cooling air to access the vents underneath?

Nick G
13-09-2012, 09:42 AM
If its overheating, your vents are probably blocked. I'd get a can of compressed air and clean them out.
Edit. What os do you have? If its windows7, go to the start menu and type in 'system'. The result will whow you what specs you have.

Iantech
13-09-2012, 12:14 PM
"good" and "budget" dont belong in the same sentence.

I swear by Dell! I would seek professional help for that problem.

Monique, as icow has asked, what is your budget for a new one?

wratterus
13-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I would seek professional help for that problem.

Yes rather... :p

I would look at Toshiba, the C850s are very good value for money.

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8180/15-6-quot-toshiba-satellite-c850-010-notebook

Nomad
13-09-2012, 01:22 PM
You probably don't need a new computer. We have a 5yr old Dell that was gifted to us and it works brilliantly. My brother comes down stairs to use it b/c it's faster than his 1yr old Acer Netbook.

When you start up the computer does say that you can press some special keys to do a recovery?? If so, you can just backup your stuff onto a USB stick and perform the recovery. It would wipe your computer and set it back to day one when you first bought it.

If not, you can just refer to this post and post a hijackthis here so people can help you and referring to Wainuitech's links download those software and run them ...
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?126684-PC-takes-a-while-to-load-things&p=1118068#post1118068

RabidGinFairy
23-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Hey thanks so much for that, I didnt even realise you could block ads!

RabidGinFairy
23-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your help, plenty of good tips there. Haha so Dell hasn't a good rep I take it? I discovered my father has a Compaq Presario CQ61 he can no longer use and I've restored it to factory settings. Worked a treat, wonder if I should try the same with the Dell. Thanks again, and sorry for the late reply, email only alerted me to the first response :S

Poppa John
23-09-2012, 08:58 PM
I have to ask!!!

Rabid...Mad?

Gin...Booze?

Fairy...Errr..With or without Adams Apple?

PJ

RabidGinFairy
23-09-2012, 09:01 PM
haha without. It was just a nickname that stuck I guess (yea I used to drink gin), and it makes for a unique login meaning Im not trying countless number combos!! :D

Poppa John
23-09-2012, 09:06 PM
haha without. It was just a nickname that stuck I guess (yea I used to drink gin), and it makes for a unique login meaning Im not trying countless number combos!! :D

Good one, thanks!! PJ

8ftmetalhaed
23-09-2012, 09:29 PM
depending on what browser you use, you can use a plugin for mozilla or chrome called 'adblockplus' which pretty much nerfs all ads, save for some non intrusive advertising.
Give it a google if you want.

Also look into Ccleaner from http://www.piriform.com ,it's a standard piece of kit for all us techy people. Same goes for Malwarebytes Antimalware, as well as a couple other anti spyware suites to taste. (none of them get all items alone, hence using multiple).
If you're on xp you can also look into Defraggler from piriform, which is better than the standard windows defrag.

Finally, if you haven't upgraded it to the max ram it can take, might pay to look into doing that.

As for the actual overheating and shutting down, yea might need a clean out, though you might need to pay someone to do it if you're not sure.

GameJunkie
23-09-2012, 10:01 PM
i would get an ASUS,

24-09-2012, 10:51 AM
..... to overheat and shut itself down ....
This is a serious issue. You may need a new fan, or may have main board issues.

If you were ever thinking about replacing the laptop, now would be a good time. A repair could be anywhere from
$100(fan) - $300 (main board repair)
Sorry, cant recommend one, but try and get a laptop with a fast-ish CPU. i3 or i5 if you can afford it.
Some new laptops are incredibly slow, so pick one you like , then search google for owner comments/complaints/reviews.
The budget laptops tend to be more or less all as bad as each other, all the brands have made the occasional dud's