PDA

View Full Version : Fisher & Paykell

mzee
12-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I believe that F&P products are made in Thailand now. If this is the case the sale to China will not make much difference to Kiwis employed by them. It will probably be moved to China and some of the "experts" transferred. The last time I was looking for a washing machine I did not buy a Fisher & Paykell because of this.

Richard
12-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Silly reason. So you bought some other imported product. By the way, only some F&P products are made in Thailand. Some are made in Mexico, and a lot of the design and development is done in NZ. Prior to the sale F&P is still a New Zealand company, whether you seem to think so or not.

By the way there is one 'l' in Paykel.

pctek
12-09-2012, 11:01 AM
F&P went to **** in 2000, the engineers were complaining about the crap parts that got used. When haier first bought part of them I thought it would only be a matter of time. F&P is dead.

Richard
12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Rubbish. You don't know what you are talking about. Sure they went through a bad time, but the recovery has been amazing. They are now selling direct drive motors to other machine manufacturers. If you were bothered to read the Annual Report you would find that profits are up and future outlook is bright. Why else would Haier want to buy the balance of the shareholders out?

Trev
12-09-2012, 12:01 PM
My F&P ceramic top stove I bought about 4 years ago was made in Italy.
:)

R2x1
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Rubbish. You don't know what you are talking about. Sure they went through a bad time, but the recovery has been amazing. They are now selling direct drive motors to other machine manufacturers. If you were bothered to read the Annual Report you would find that profits are up and future outlook is bright. Why else would Haier want to buy the balance of the shareholders out?
Profits are great, products grate. Last F&P product I bought was a POS. Earlier ones were variable - medium to good value, but their attitude to consumers changed so I have consumed from other sources for the last decade.

paulw
12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I think that the only F&P item made here now are some refrigerators. I gave up on them years ago as all their stuff seemed to be junk compared with what they made back in the 70s and 80s.. I bet that 2 years after Haier buy them out it will all move to China..

johcar
12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
F&P went to **** in 2000, the engineers were complaining about the crap parts that got used. When haier first bought part of them I thought it would only be a matter of time. F&P is dead.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another F&P product!! All our whiteware is F&P - most bought quite some time ago (so still good quality), but made the mistake of buying a dishwasher (not a dishdrawer) to replace our brilliant Dishlex. The F&P machine lasted 3 years before it needed major repairs, including the replacement of the ECU (twice!) and various other parts. Just waiting for it to fail again and Ill go get a Bosch...

We even have a fridge that we bought when we got married (1986) that is sitting in the garage being used as a beer fridge (among other less necessary things) that is still going strong...

prefect
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
The 380 and 400 washing machines were the DC3 of washing machines but they were a copy of an english machine.

Digby
12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
F & P moved their factories to Mexico and Thailand year sago to be near to the markets and to make more profits.

But they still make their sleep therapy machines here in NZ I think.
And I think their do their R&D here.

It does seem that F&P has lost a lot of its good name due to quality concerns over the last few years.

Its obviously the R&D and the IP that Haeir want to get hold of.

F&P got started when the government put import restrictions on white wear in the late 1930's! during the great depression.

Gobe1
12-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I brought a F&P fridge in january, it is mean as and well priced against the competition at the time.
The was a Samsung that was bigger and better specced ie volume, but it didnt come with right hung doors so wouldnt work in my kitchen, shame

kahawai chaser
12-09-2012, 04:43 PM
F & P moved their factories to Mexico and Thailand year sago to be near to the markets and to make more profits.

And I think their do their R&D here.

It does seem that F&P has lost a lot of its good name due to quality concerns over the last few years.

Its obviously the R&D and the IP that Haeir want to get hold of.

F&P got started when the government put import restrictions on white wear in the late 1930's! during the great depression.

I think you are right about their R&D being one to get hold of. I been through their labs, and use to test packaging for them as a supplier. Their labs were full on, loaded with all kinds of scientists, and engineers back in the early 90's. There was one admin building, once inside the room I could not see the end of it - It was huge - with 100's of factory and office staff all working together seemingly in unison.

Drove past them the other day in high brook. Flash as - I think it was their healthcare facility which seem to standout.

The Error Guy
12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
F&P Fridge and washer, the Machine goes strong and we have one a good 8 years old in the boarding house that gets a right hammering. Still goes strong. God forbid you use the samsung washer though!!

Our fridge just works fine. Replaced a light bulb... that's about it. Would be about 7 years on the clock now/

dugimodo
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
It's normal Human nature it seems to have a bad opinion of a product forever based on one or two bad experiences. I think we are all guilty of it to a degree, something goes wrong and we lose our trust in a brand and boycott it for the next several years if not forever.
I try to base my purchases on consumer reports and current reviews, but I'm guilty of it as well. A perfect example is nortons. , I haven't used it in many years and couldn't honestly give an opinion on it's current state but because of the grief it caused me many years ago I'm unwilling to try it again. People still give it negative feedback but how many of them have actually tried the current version? (Some have but I suspect most haven't)

I think it pays to do a bit of research on any important purchase and try to be a bit objective, of course if you get down to only a few choices and one of them is a brand you've had trouble with in the past odds are pretty good you'll try one of the others.
I've had a good run from F&P with my fridge and dishwasher, but the cheap hoover washing machine I bought because I needed one and was short on cash had better build quality than the flash F&P I traded it in on after 12 yrs when it started making dodgy sounding noises. The new one is less than a year old and already the plastic is broken in a few places from being moved a total of about 3 times.

Here's a question for appliance designers everywhere, you build all kinds of bulky akward devices designed to go in the home why don't you ever equip them with handles or carry points?

paulw
12-09-2012, 06:54 PM

It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another F&P product!! All our whiteware is F&P - most bought quite some time ago (so still good quality), but made the mistake of buying a dishwasher (not a dishdrawer) to replace our brilliant Dishlex. The F&P machine lasted 3 years before it needed major repairs, including the replacement of the ECU (twice!) and various other parts. Just waiting for it to fail again and Ill go get a Bosch...

We even have a fridge that we bought when we got married (1986) that is sitting in the garage being used as a beer fridge (among other less necessary things) that is still going strong...

Don't buy a dish draw then they are one of the worst dishwashers around. I have one in the house I bought about 2 years ago. After the dog we had at work I would never have bought one..

My run of F&P stuff has not been too good.

In 1990 we bough a washing machine and fridge. After 3 month the washing machine control board went bang. Replaced under warranty. After another couple of years the whole streat could hear the water going into it as it made all sorts of grinding noises. The repair guy said they go like that and you can't do anything with it.
The fridge. The doors never closed properly . The guy who came to look at the washer said there were some door washers missing so he put some on. Must have been a Monday one. The butter conditioner either made the butter run out the door or it was like a brick. Fruit and vegetable in the vegetable storage unit went of in a very quick time. After about 3 years water started coming out the bottom of the fridge. It was fixed under warranty. It did it twice more so at about 7 years old they were both replaced. Bought a Simpson washer and a Westinghouse fridge. Both wave been perfect ever since..
Our Dish drawer at work well don't get me started on that bit of junk..

johcar
12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
The problem with basing a buying decision on consumer reports is that these reviews give no indication of reliability of NEW models. Just a historic view of previous models. So you have to base your decision on past history with the brand - until you get sucked in one last time... Trust, once lost, is very hard to regain. And rightly so.

mikebartnz
12-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I brought a F&P fridge in january, it is mean as and well priced against the competition at the time.
The was a Samsung that was bigger and better specced ie volume, but it didnt come with right hung doors so wouldnt work in my kitchen, shame
With most fridges you can swap the doors around. Some are worse than others and you have to buy some new parts to do so.

mikebartnz
12-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I am not sure if the health division is part of the sale or not.

Trev
12-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I have a F&P fridge and a smart drive washing machine bought about 14 years ago. Both still going strong.
:)

SurferJoe46
13-09-2012, 04:20 AM
We had some of the F&P stuff here in the States for a while in the super-discount appliance aisles of hardware and one-off stores.

They lasted a couple of years in the stores until the quality was found to be sub-par for junk. They failed constantly, wouldn't cycle correctly and bent their lids, exterior panels vibrated and generally failed in too many mechanical ways to enumerate.

The warranty departments were going crazy trying to fix them with parts that either weren't available or took months to get and then the replacement parts started the fail-cycle all over again.

I see them sometimes yet in the 'On Curb" ads in Craigslist for FREE & U-HAUL AWAY.

Overall --- a very bad and rather expensive experience for the people who bought them.

pctek
13-09-2012, 07:13 AM
The problem with basing a buying decision on consumer reports is that these reviews give no indication of reliability of NEW models.

For sure. best to read user reviews, especially those who had one for a while.

pctek
13-09-2012, 07:16 AM
We had some of the F&P stuff here in the States for a while
Yeah, I found a US user comments forum once, there were pages and pages of bad reviews....massive fail there.

dugimodo
13-09-2012, 08:39 AM
For sure. best to read user reviews, especially those who had one for a while.

I'd agree except the users most likley to review are the ones who had a bad experience, people complain more readily than praise. Consumer does do reliability surveys as well as product reviews and is about as close to an objective opinion as I think you can get. Not that I ignore peoples opinions and reviews, they do still influence me I just try to balance that with other information.

If for example I google a product for reviews and find large amounts of negative feedback I'd start to believe it, but if I find one or two bad reviews and it's a product sold in the 10's of 1000's I'd figure that was actually a pretty good sign. That said I do often find myself going for the brands with a reputation for reliability, sometimes even when they cost more. I got an intel SSD because of all the trouble people reported with OCZ and sandforce, and recently upgraded it to a samsung 830 for the same reason.

Digby
13-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I used to work for a second hand dealer and he always bought second hand F&P but did not like the other brands.
He had to put a warranty on them and was in contact with repair guys.
And imho repair guys are the ones to ask.

mikebartnz
13-09-2012, 09:09 AM
And imho repair guys are the ones to ask.
So true. Ask a mechanic and auto electrician which vehicles they see most of for repair and you know which ones to stay clear of.