PDA

View Full Version : 'cloud' syncing options ??

10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Livedrive, google drive, google sync, dropbox,win live mesh etc etc etc

What are the better free cloud sync services ?? Something that the user can choose which folders to sync (not have to drop into say a dropbox type folder) . For syncing say the "My Documents" folder , or even just a online backup service that can be accessed easily to open synced/backed files.
What are speed differences between them? any hosted in NZ ??

Are there any services that allow syncing of outllook (pop3 not exchange): inbox,calendar,contacts etc , via some sort of plugin
I know google has "Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook" that I'm having a read up on. Im not 100% sure how its acheived, ie does the plugin simply redirect the users email a/c's to gmail ?

Cheers

Nick G
10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I find sugar sync to be pretty good.

wainuitech
10-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I use Skydrive, its free and does the backups automatically.

When you install the Skydrive App https://apps.live.com/skydrive it Creates a folder in the profile ( your Name) Folder ( normally on the desktop) of your PC ( W7). If you add anything to that folder its automatically uploaded to Skydrive, you dont have to do anything. If you alter a document it uploads / syncs the changes as well (may take a minute or two).

If you want to add a specific folder to sync /upload, open Skydrive, Along the top, click on Create - Folder Name it, go to that folder in skydrive, "upload" A window opens, navigate to the folder on your Computer you want to sync, select the files, and you'll see them uploading, from then on any alterations made to those file will be automatically synced.

PeterQ
10-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I use Skydrive, its free and does the backups automatically.

When you install the Skydrive App https://apps.live.com/skydrive it Creates a folder in the profile ( your Name) Folder ( normally on the desktop) of your PC ( W7). If you add anything to that folder its automatically uploaded to Skydrive, you dont have to do anything. If you alter a document it uploads / syncs the changes as well (may take a minute or two).

If you want to add a specific folder to sync /upload, open Skydrive, Along the top, click on Create - Folder Name it, go to that folder in skydrive, "upload" A window opens, navigate to the folder on your Computer you want to sync, select the files, and you'll see them uploading, from then on any alterations made to those file will be automatically synced.
+1

mikebartnz
10-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Google Drive does the same but at the moment there isn't a Linux App for it. Works well