PDA

View Full Version : Legal or illegal turn?

Renmoo
09-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi all,

Figure 18 from NZTA website on full license test (http://nzta.govt.nz/licence/photo/docs/full-test-guide.pdf)

Attached file: legal.png (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/legal.png) (57 KB)

Is that legal or illegal for the green car to do so?

Cheers :)

Trev
09-09-2012, 05:57 PM
That is legal as long as they don't cross into the other lane.
:)

Metla
09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
If its not legal then they have some work to do, issuing about 3 zillion tickets.meanwhile our cities (well, we only really have the one and its a shithole so no drama) will come to a standstill.

Nick G
09-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Perfectly legal.

Renmoo
09-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks! Will be off to my license test tomorrow morning @ 9am.

STAY OUT OF THE ROAD EVERYONE.

sam m
09-09-2012, 07:36 PM
If I am in the green car then I would usually wait until that car would be just past in case they want to change lanes. Not everyone indicates when changing lanes.

Bobh
09-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I say that it is legal because you can turn safely into an empty lane. If the top of the T intersection was a single lane or the other car was in the outside lane then you would have to give way to the top of the T.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-driving/the-give-way-rules.html

Best of luck with your test.

lakewoodlady
09-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Hey, best of luck with that!

LL

Nick G
09-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Good luck.

mikebartnz
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM

It is not while you get your license that worries me but after.:D:D
Good luck.

Agent_24
10-09-2012, 07:15 AM
I thought this should be obvious for someone going for their full licence...

No offense intended.

Chilling_Silence
10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
So, did you pass? :D

Renmoo
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Nope failed.

Did not look out for trains when about to cross the railway lines + not identifying enough hazards.

Bleh.

pcuser42
10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Nope failed.Did not look out for trains when about to cross the railway lines + not identifying enough hazards.Bleh. Gosh, you should have known better :p

Nick G
10-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Nope failed.

Did not look out for trains when about to cross the railway lines + not identifying enough hazards.

Bleh.
Bugger.

Agent_24
10-09-2012, 10:41 AM
You definitely want to check for trains - If it comes down to train vs you in your car you are guaranteed to lose.

Sounds like you need a bit more practice...

Better luck next time!

Billy T
10-09-2012, 10:56 AM

How the hell could you even think about crossing a railway line without looking? :groan:

Just be grateful that Darwin gave you a break, and study up on your hazards.

You might not be so lucky next time.

Billy

Lurking
10-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Thought it was only Christchurch drivers' who were that bad on railway crossings.

Chch. drivers' "Left" turning vehicle would usually storm across into the inside lane, and to h e l l with the other vehicle.

Chilling_Silence
10-09-2012, 11:33 AM
You definitely want to check for trains - If it comes down to train vs you in your car you are guaranteed to lose.

Sounds like you need a bit more practice...

Better luck next time!

Yeah pretty much. Just remember that they're doing you a favour by failing you, they're making sure you're as best-equipped as possible, take it as a good thing, and get a bit more time under your belt as Agent_24 mentioned :)

pctek
10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Green car must give way.

Bobh
10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Better luck next time. Not everybody gets their licence the first time. Even in the olden days (way back in the sixties) people were known to fail their test the first time. Think of it as experience gained.

Nick G
10-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Green car must give way.
Nope it doesn't, why do you think it has to?

pcuser42
10-09-2012, 12:52 PM

+1. In the battle between 1,000+ tonnes and 3 tonnes, the heavier one will win...

And don't just rely on the alarms as well, they're known to fail (but they do fail safely).

mikebartnz
10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
+1. In the battle between 1,000+ tonnes and 3 tonnes, the heavier one will win...
Not every one drives a Humvee.

pcuser42
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Not every one drives a Humvee.

Not the point. Even a 50 tonne truck will come out worse off ;)

Gobe1
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
this is a good case for the plonker driving in the outside lane to switch lanes when there is someone trying to get on the motorway and then toots because you pulled out on them...

dugimodo
10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Bugger about failing, small tip for you - look everywhere, down sidestreets, driveways, whatever, and move your head when you do it so the tester can see you doing it.
I always look but got the same comment the first time because the guy doing the test wasn't observant enough to see where my eyes were looking.

If you see a hazard up ahead feel free to mention it and score some brownie points. On the way to my test in a driving school car my instructor pointed out a closed lane that the test would normally go through and told me to point it out when the tester asked me to use the lane, got a big tick for that one.

Terry Porritt
10-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Following on from dugimodos advice, many years ago in the UK when on an advanced driving course we were taught to speak a running commentary on the road conditions as we drove along, like " coming up to road junction on left, car waiting to come out; stop sign ahead, slowing to stop; pedestrian crossing road without looking !" etc

I still tend to do this when I think of it, though silently ;)

pcuser42
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Following on from dugimodos advice, many years ago in the UK when on an advanced driving course we were taught to speak a running commentary on the road conditions as we drove along, like " coming up to road junction on left, car waiting to come out; stop sign ahead, slowing to stop; pedestrian crossing road without looking !" etcI still tend to do this when I think of it, though silently ;) That's what I thought I had to do during my full licence test, turns out I didn't :p

Agent_24
10-09-2012, 06:47 PM
That's what I thought I had to do during my full licence test, turns out I didn't :p

Better that than fail because you didn't say enough though

plod
10-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Nope failed.

Bleh.And we wonder why Asians get a bad name for their driving

Trev
11-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Nope failed.

Bleh.

Was this at a controlled or uncontrolled railway crossing. To get into town I have to cross a controlled railway crossing. Never really check for trains. I take it for granted that the barriers and lights will work when a train comes.

pcuser42
11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
I take it for granted that the barriers and lights will work when a train comes.

Not a wise idea. I check for trains whether or not there are alarms ;)

Agent_24
11-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Not a wise idea. I check for trains whether or not there are alarms ;)

I always check at least twice no matter what. Assuming that the lights etc will work is just asking for trouble. While they will work most of the time, Murphy is going to stick his foot in it at some point. It's just not worth it!