PDA

View Full Version : weird internet issue

GameJunkie
08-09-2012, 10:41 PM
earlier tonight the internet at our house disconnected without reason/warning

all of a sudden the ppp light went out and the adsl light went red.

i turned off the router, waited the turned it back on

logged into the router, clicked connect and waited as it said.
had to click connect again and the connection was back

but weirdly, my brothers laptop wont connect to the network,

two things: what would cause the router to spaz, and why wont my brothers laptop connect???

ISP is telecom and router is Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn

GameJunkie
08-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Update: rebooted the router and brother's laptop connects

but the question remains, why'd the router do this in the first place???

CliveM
09-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Don't know why it went off to start with it could be totally unconnected with your end. It was possibly a glitch with the ip allocation which caused your brothers PC to not connect when it first came back up, rebooting fixed that.

icow
09-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Also the router could have just overheated.

bk T
09-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I thought it's a common thing that most routers ro modems (if not all) have to be re-started at some stage?

wainuitech
09-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Yesterday was real crap weather, high winds and rain. There were power cuts and surges/spikes all over the place. Twice here the UPS's kicked in due to bad supply of power.

The cause of the router losing connection was more than likely due to faulty power, or the supply of ADSL to you was cut. It could have gotten a surge, power spike or anything - they can really scramble a router if its not connected to a UPS.

GameJunkie
09-09-2012, 11:06 AM
sounds plausible there WT

Agent_24
10-09-2012, 08:25 AM
It's possible the power disturbance caused a partial reset of the circuitry, but didn't completely clear the RAM etc and return the unit to fresh boot status.

If the power-on reset circuitry doesn't function well in a brownout or other incomplete power failure, you can get these kinds of problems.