PDA

View Full Version : Black screen

Socal82
08-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I have a dell desktop computer and when I start it up I get the screen where it says dell and then goes to black. I tried press f2 and f12 and it takes me to the screen for a second then goes to black and not able to do anything. The green lights on the tower are on but not able to do anything. Any helps appreciated.

wainuitech
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Have you tried starting in safe mode ?? Start PC and keep tapping F8, as long as it comes up, select Safe mode.

If it starts OK in safe mode you have a driver problem.

Depending on whats happens ( starts or not) will depend on the fix.

Socal82
08-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Does not go I safe mode.

Speedy Gonzales
09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Is there a flashing cursor flashing in the corner? What version of windows is on it?? You may need a system repair disk/cd

Myth
09-09-2012, 11:16 AM
What have you done recently with this computer, just prior to this black screen happening?

Socal82
10-09-2012, 03:50 PM
When it first starts up there is a blinking cursor for a few second till it turns black. I think it's windows xp. Not sure what was done before I got it. It was my moms computer that she got from a family members work. How would I get a system repair desk?

Speedy Gonzales
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Boot from the XP cd. And do a repair

Socal82
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
It didn't come with a xp cd. Anywhere on the net I can get one from

wainuitech
10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
It didn't come with a xp cd. Anywhere on the net I can get one fromLegally NO theres no where to download XP.

When you tried safe mode Before, did it allow you to select Safe Mode ??

Something you can try, ( may or may not work), but it has sometimes, its a odd ball fix:

If you can open the options,try again, but this time select safe mode with Command prompt, hopefully that will load, if it does, in the CMD box, type in defrag C: /f <press enter> what you should see is the cursor jump one line then flash - looks like its doing nothing but it is if you look at the HDD light it will be going nuts. when its finished you'll see a whole lot of writing. The press ctrl+Alt+del, a window should open, click File /New Task, type in Explorer.exe Press enter, after a few moments it should load up windows, reboot as normal.

If you can get into safe mode with Command Prompt you can also try running chkdsk /r Sometimes it fixes the problem, but often it doesn't.

Renegade
10-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I looked at a Dell last week doing something similar - didn't boot past the Dell logo/black screen. I re-seated the RAM and SATA HD cable and that got it booting again.