PDA

View Full Version : hushtunnel

Greven
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Can an american company like hushtunnel really stop the American government from spying on you? Wouldn't they have to comply with any orders to log traffic & turn it over to whoever wants it?

mikebartnz
07-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't trust them myself.

HushTunnel
08-09-2012, 04:37 AM
Hi Greven,

First of all, thanks for giving me the opportunity to discuss HushTunnel in this forum.

I appreciate your concerns and believe that they are well-intentioned. I agree with your sentiment- our civil liberties in America are eroding. However, we still have a few rights that we can leverage to protect our privacy, and those of our fellow citizens.

All too often we see big-industry (and big-brother) cast wide nets in fishing expeditions to gather information, preserve interests, and assert control. And all too often we see web companies and Internet service providers comply, because it is easier, cheaper, profitable or it just makes no difference to them either way. Despite an inability to legislate the trampling of our basic right to privacy, this has become the status quo.

To the contrary, back in 1986 legislators had the good foresight to enact The Electronic Communications Privacy Act and more recently ratified The Privacy Bill of Rights. So the question really boils down to "Can American legislation stop powerful entities from spying on us?" And that is exactly why we built HushTunnel. One of the things that HushTunnel does well is to insulate users against illegal search and seizure of their electronic data, by encrypting their Internet activity with a strong cipher.

In addition to that, we have built a process to deter frivolous inquiries about activity and bring only legitimate inquiries to the attention of the affected user, without revealing their identity. This enables HushTunnel users with the opportunity to respond to reasonable accusations so that they are not blindsided by an inquisition or lawsuit. If a user does not respond to an inquiry, or if there is no resolution within a fair amount of time, the user's HushTunnel account is deactivated. As a policy, no personal information is released.

So what happens when HushTunnel is served with a subpoena? Usually we will appeal the subpoena, and fight on behalf of Internet privacy. However, as detailed in our Privacy Policy, there are circumstances when we would be compelled to comply with a court order expeditiously. For example, when there is an imminent threat to life, or threat of injury, or reasonable belief that a crime such as murder, rape, kidnapping or robbery has been, or is being committed. So if you want to do something blatantly illegal and reprehensible, please do not use HushTunnel. In fact, please don't do it at all. However, if you want a high level of privacy, confidentiality and anonymity or if you are just worried that your privacy is being violated online, HushTunnel is simple, secure and effective protection.

Best,

Tamer Rizk
HushTunnel Co-founder
http://hushtunnel.com