PDA

View Full Version : Windows Updaate

curly
07-09-2012, 07:35 PM
When trying to update my computer I get this message "Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because
the service is not running". You need to restart your computer.

Restarting does not work. How do I restart the update service?

Op system is Vista Ultimate.

wainuitech
07-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Click start, type in cmd Right click it, run as administrator, type in the following net start wuauserv Press Enter, you should get a message saying its been started, or an error if it doesn't.

Edited: if it doesn't start what is the error message

curly
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Click start, type in cmd Right click it, run as administrator, type in the following net start wuauserv Press Enter, you should get a message saying its been started, or an error if it doesn't.

Edited: if it doesn't start what is the error message

right clicking cmd gives me a menu "undo, Select all, right to left reading order, show unicode control characters, insert unicode control character and open IME".
No option to run as administrator, tried several time with same result ? But nothing else.

We are talking about a Windows Vista Op system here.

curly
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Tried again now see, The requested service has already been started. But still no updates.

wainuitech
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
OK try it again, nut this time replace "start" with stop, so it reads net stop wuauserv Press enter. It should say its stopping the service, then restart it again with the other command net start wuauserv

Note: the other way to get the cmd in Admin mode is type in cmd then press Ctrl+Shift + Enter

If it still wont update, then another thing to try is described here (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/7ea664df-29c7-4ad2-bdf2-ed4038430a45)

I do it slightly differently, but does the same thing. Use the above commands to stop the service, navigate to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete it or cut/paste to save it someplace else in case it turns to custard (SoftwareDistribution) reboot the computer, check the service has restarted by running the start command, try windows updates again. It will say its never been run because the SoftwareDistribution folder was deleted, sometimes when that corrupts it will stop windows updating.
The folder will be recreated from fresh when it tries to update again.

Edited: you MUST stop the service to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder or do it in safe mode. If you dont then it wont delete.

curly
08-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Before I go on Wainuitech, you are a super hero, after a few stalled attempts on my behalf, Windows Update, including Windows
Defender are both now working again, thanks. Oh yeah, I used your workaround too.

While not trying to test you, you wanna have a crack at this ? Windows Security Center is turned off and can't be started !
There is no error number or reference to this failure. Not trying to push my luck of course... <grin>

wainuitech
08-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Always up for a challenge :) but wont be tonight, had a weeeeee to much happy juice, not to sure if I'll be here tomorrow swmbo has "plans" ;)

Although - just one question - by any chance has this PC had infections - reason asking is some fake programs say they are Windows Security Center.

OK two Questions - where/what is saying its not working ?

wainuitech
08-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Curly, Got me thinking ;) can you check something please. (DONT alter anything in the reg)

Click start, type in regedit open it. Navigate to the following Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\wscsvc

Look and see if the folder wscsvc is there.

If its not, then there is a fix, BUT before I post it, I want to load up vista and break it to make sure the fix works. If it doesn't work it could make it worse.

curly
09-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Always up for a challenge :) but wont be tonight, had a weeeeee to much happy juice, not to sure if I'll be here tomorrow swmbo has "plans" ;)

Although - just one question - by any chance has this PC had infections - reason asking is some fake programs say they are Windows Security Center.

OK two Questions - where/what is saying its not working ?

No, no infections at all.

Second ? Conrol Panel, Windows Security Center, Security Center, "The Security Center is turned off", "Turn it on now", "The Security Center can't be started"

Now show me your magic again !!!!

curly
09-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Yep, wscsvc is there.

Hope ur feeling OK today after the drinkies !

wainuitech
09-09-2012, 06:34 PM
LOL drinkies I can handle - Bad computer screens I cant, plays hell on the eyes after a while.

Absolute stinking head ache at the moment, and only just got back from a all day service call (kind of).

re the problem, I'll look at it tomorrow If I can find time. Unless someone else comes up with a solution beforehand.

Now wheres the beer if I got a sore Head I want something to show for it :D

Speedy Gonzales
09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
I fixed someone computer which had a similar prob. He was getting an 0x80070424 error code. Whatever it was, it disabled the firewall, windowsupdate, disabled a few servces. I found 7 reg files, which I ran on the affected computer. Rebooted, and it was all go again. These files were for Win7 x64. They should work with Vista x64 as well

wainuitech
09-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Try the Basics first - See if http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67737-security-center.html Is any use.