PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up two Android devices for sale

John H
07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi folks

I have bought a Google Nexus 7, so I am going to sell my Galaxy S2 WIFI 5.0 tablet and my Sony PRS-T1 ereader as they are no longer needed.

Both have passwords and links to my Kindle account etc in them, so I would like to sweep them clean and probably the best way to do that is to get them back to the way they were when purchased.

Do any of you know how to re-set either or both of these devices?

Thanks for any advice.

The Error Guy
07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Settings > Backup & Reset > Factory Data Reset.

That will wipe everything on the device. After that you should use a PC to format the SD cards (both internal and external if applicable) since the factory data wipe doesn't cover data stored on the the SD card.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah go into Storage and wipe the internal SD first, THEN do the factory reset. It's possibly also worth running through the "First run wizard" to make sure that none of your files are left lying around.

The reason behind this is as The Error Guy mentioned, the "Internal storage" or "Internal SD" is treated differently from the factory reset. The theory being that you can factory reset your device and still keep your images, downloads, pictures etc.

How are you finding your Nexus 7? Got your $25 Play Store Credit? You have to be on a VPN and sign in from a USA IP in order to get it which is a bit of a PITA, but for the $25 it's not too much hassle :D

John H
07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks TEG and C_S. Unfortunately I got into it before C_S's message arrived, so I did the Galaxy S2 factory reset first, and then found all sorts of stuff on the internal SD the way you have both said.

I have re-formatted the external SD (the default FAT32 came up so I went with that - I hope that was kosher?).

However, it isn't possible to format the internal SD because Samsung Kies had updated the software and drivers and in the process changed the device to a MTP device and it comes up like a camera rather than a separate drive the way it used to. MTP is a PITA on the Nexus as well, because it means that Calibre doesn't work normally the way it does on the Sony PRS-T1. I have had to find a workaround for that.

So all I did with the files on the Galaxy internal SD was to delete everything. When I fired up the Galaxy after disconnecting the USB cable, I found it had recreated some of the folders/files, but as far as I can see none of them are personal stuff.

I hope that is OK? Was FAT 32 correct with the external SD card as well?

I will now have a go at the Sony eReader and see what happens there...

Chill - the Nexus is great apart from the MTP system. And there are some apps that are not compatible with the Nexus - e.g. Libanywhere, which I need to access my local library. I will have to use the desktop PC instead. I emailed LibraryThings and they say they have no ETA for a Nexus version. I vastly prefer the Nexus to my wife's new iPad! The Nexus is also going to be a great deal better than the e-ink reader when we are away in the campervan. I found the Sony great, but there is a problem when you are trying to read in low light - I used a headlamp, but that wasn't very satisfactory. The best thing is that I have one device that does the work of two - the Galaxy and the Sony PRS-T1 - both good in their own right, but why carry two things around with you when you can have one?

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah FAT32 is fine.

I found the same, I love it. A little underwhelmed by the 7" size as I unboxed it, but having used it now I *way* prefer it over my previous collection of 10" tablets. Landed mine for ~NZD$270 too!

There are technical reasons for using MTP, and it's well worth it in the long-run, but I won't bore you with the details.

John H
07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks Chill. Yes, I have read about MTP on another forum (MobileRead) and it does seem to have advantages. However, I have found a way around the disadvantage thus far. I just use Calibre to house clean any books that need it, and then manually load the book from the Calibre library instead of using the content server.

Odd about the size thing. I chose the Nexus in part because of its size! I find the iPad's shape to be clunky and I liked the size of the Sony Reader (which is slightly smaller than the Nexus) particularly for reading in bed! The Galaxy is too small to be a good eReader (it is great for lots of other things though!). It was clear that I wanted an Android device that would do all that the Galaxy and Sony PRS-T1 could do, but be better than both! I went into the shop to look at the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and saw the Nexus next to it - it was obvious what to buy, but I was put off by the inability to expand the memory of the Nexus.

I then read about Nexus Media Importer on MobileReads, so I have installed that, and am awaiting an adapter for my USB keys. With Nexus Medial Importer you don't have to root the device - just get an adapter like this (they cost < $3 for a pair with free delivery to NZ):

John H
07-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Sorting out the Sony TRS-T1 was dead easy. Thanks both of you for your advice. John

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah I love mine, reading G+ in bed when I wake up in the morning and things :D
Those dongles look pretty useful, you can also use them to no doubt hook up USB HDD's etc

Just make sure you omit the "Selling them coz I bought a better one for less" part on your TradeMe Ads ;)

John H
07-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Hehehehe!

GameJunkie
07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
isnt that galaxy s tab thing the galaxy note??

or is that something else

John H
07-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Something else!

This is what I have: http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxyswifi/gs5/gs5_main.html
This is the Galaxy Note: www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/index.html